Build Permits!!! GRANTED!!! Tons of Info- Mtbr.com
    Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008

Build Permits!!! GRANTED!!! Tons of Info

So we are doing out waiver signing and disclaimers next Thursday, but after 3 weeks of searching high and low around San Marcos for a place to build, we finally hit a home run and got in touch with the right people at the right time. Thursday morning will be signing, then a brief meet and greet. Hopefully if all goes as planned we will start construction of the new trails in the next 2 weeks!

What we have been looking for permission for is a skills set park to bring beginnners up to advanced and then on to expert utilizing certain obstacles to improve balance, reaction, pedal dropping, picking a line, etc. Also a system of marked trails that will definitely include north shore style riding!

We just received a donation of about 1/2 ton of wood from a Volante firefighter whom was in touch with a local marina in Leander, and more may be on its way by the end of the month! I'll keep you all in the know.

To help keep vandalism to a minimum, I want everyone who is on here in the San Marcos area to ride the trails as often as possible. My thinking is that it will further warn off trail hackers...we will be building over a period of the next year, so be there as often as possible to either lend a hand or see whats new.

Parties Involved:
    Stefan Whittaker (myself/owner COE Apparel)
    Micheal Blosser (IMBA)
    Eric Clifton (Texas State University Recreation Department)
    Todd Derkacz (San Marcos Greenbelt Alliance)

in Association with:

San Marcos Greenbelt Alliance (www.smgreenbelt.org)
    Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept.
    National Parks and Recreation
    Greater Edwards Aquifer Alliance
    San Marcos River Foundation
    City of Austin: Wildland Conservation Division
    Greeninfrastructure.net
    City of San Marcos
    National Parks Service
    U.S. Geological Survey
    U.S. Forest Service
    San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department
    BikeMojo.com
    Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
    International Mountain Bicycling Association

Please do not vandalize...these trails are built for the community and they are the culmination of a large group of peoples efforts.

Ringtail Ridge Greenspace

Description: 40 plus acres of lightly developed parkland off RR12. This natural area features a half-mile accessible trail with a kiosk and benches and about 2 miles of unmarked loop trail, including a spur that meets RR12 in the 30-foot wide swath between Community Baptist Church and Dakota Ranch Apartments. The 2-mile trail was designed by SMGA for mountain biking, but it also offers pleasant hiking in a surprisingly diverse natural area in a part of town that is developing rapidly. Oak groves, flowering meadows, cactus stands, and persimmon thickets are all found in Ringtail Ridge. The Ringtail Ridge tract was the site of an animal slaughter plant for many years. The foundations of the plant and other artifacts can still be seen; the land is being left alone to recover from ranching and the slaughter business.

Brief History: In the 1990s, Randall Morris made a deal with the city to increase land-use density along RR12 in exchange for the 40 acres now known as Ringtail Ridge. The deal was welcomed by conservationists, who were concerned about preserving recharge land and welcomed the tighter controls on water runoff required for high-density development. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department awarded the City of San Marcos and SMGA a National Trails Grant in the amount of $40,087 in August 2007. That project included a one-half mile accessible trail, parking lot improvements, and an interpretive kiosk.

Directions: Take Ranch Road 12 (Moore St.) toward Wimberley about 1/10th mile past Craddock Ave. Turn right onto dirt road between Dakota Ranch Apartments and Crestwood Center. Follow road until you reach the big oak and parking lot behind the apartments.

Note: Stay within the greenspace fences.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Well bureaucracy strikes again, last email confirmed...things take time and now we're playing the waiting game for these folks to get us the green light. Also, we are trying to switch from Ringtail Ridge to Upper Purgatory Creek to better the system. UPC has much more elevation changes and drops which make for more interesting trails plus a massive trail already begun; where Ringtail Ridge was more or less flat in comparison and only room for the existing 2 mile loop and a couple extensions.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

Go make a difference
    Great job! Keep up the hard work!
    What is the level of involvement from NPS? I'm heading up a project in ATL on NPS turf as part of SORBA / IMBA. IMBA is trying to better their relationship with NPS to increase biking opportunities in park lands. Yea, working with the Feds does take time and a lot of effort up front, but I really think the pay off in the long run can be grand!

Thanks for what you're doing out there!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    A lot of the government involvement is due to the fact the greenbelt in San Marcos has been almost entirely funded by them to preserve the habitat of the Golden Cheek Warbler. So they have to proff-read everything before saying yay or nay. What park are you guys working on? Type of trails??

mtbr member
    Yaaaa man, sounds awesome. Make sure to keep everyone updated on this, especially when we get to start building!

How else will you be notifying San Martians about this project?

I love Texas except for the lack of lift-serviced trails. www.classictattootx.com

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Haven't figured out the notifications yet. The building process is going to be handled by a few select people. The SMGA wants people with former trail building experience and formal IMBA instruction. There's some red tape, but we should be able to overcome it on our own fairly soon. I'll keep everyone updated.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by xterrain
    The SMGA wants people with former trail building experience and formal IMBA instruction.

There's lots of us around. Let me know what I can do to help.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Are you in the San Marcos area!? Either way, follow this link and let them know what our community needs! An EPIC riding trail system in Upper Purgatory Creek! Its the only park with the terrain we need to make it incredible! PLus the singletrack thats already there flows really well and is FAST!

http://www.smgreenbelt.org/contact.htm

The man to contact is Todd Derkacz.

Got Mojo?
    Are you in the San Marcos area!? Either way, follow this link and let them know what our community needs! An EPIC riding trail system in Upper Purgatory Creek! Its the only park with the terrain we need to make it incredible! PLus the singletrack thats already there flows really well and is FAST!

http://www.smgreenbelt.org/contact.htm

The man to contact is Todd Derkacz.
    I am in San Antonio. But there are several of us are IMBA trained. A great example of our work is the Madrone Trail at Canyon Lake. Members of BikeMojo.com and the Camino Real Cycling Club were instrumental in the the Madrone trail, which happens to be the first trail to be developed under the Memorandum Of Understanding between IMBA and the US Army Corps of Engineers.

joetoeclips (of the CRCC) on Mojo is another great resource.

The IMBA training is a two day affair, with classroom and hands on.

IMBA conducted a trailbuilding school open to cyclists, other trail users and the general public. Four IMBA-affiliated clubs, including two new clubs, BikeMojo.com and the Camino Real Cycling Club, joined land managers for two more days of trail education.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    How often do these trail building schools happen? I need to get certified.
    I love Texas except for the lack of lift-serviced trails. www.classictattootx.com

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by texasdirt
    How often do these trail building schools happen? I need to get certified.
    You would have to contact IMBA to find out when the next time one of their Trail Care Crews are in the area....
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Any updates?
    2008 Jamis Durango 3

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    See polls in Texas forum. We are doing surveys to present to the state and also working on a full feasibility study. What we want requires more than just asking for permission and getting a yes or no...for starters, we arent taking no for an answer so we are preparing everything we need to flip anyone who protests it.

May 2004
    Nice to see new blood working on this. It's been a number of years but I did a trail building workshop at Freeman Ranch for Texas State. I'm sure that group graduated and moved on... The SMGA does use IMBA's methods. Todd was trained at the TCC event at Canyon Lake. Good times.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    xterrain - thanks for your hard work and dedication to the cause. I will post this up on a local forum for some additional local attention from the Austinites.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Thank you imbawebguy and CharacterZero. I appreciate the support and the kind words. Imbawebguy, when is the next training session/event? CharacterZero, what other forums are you posting on so I can get around to them to obtain the information from the polls/posts that I need?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thank you imbawebguy and CharacterZero. I appreciate the support and the kind words. Imbawebguy, when is the next training session/event? CharacterZero, what other forums are you posting on so I can get around to them to obtain the information from the polls/posts that I need?
    I cross-posted over at Austin Voodoo, DJ forum, both posts point to this one at the San Marcos forum of BikeMojo, which in turn points people to the posts here.

That way you don't have to go tallying votes.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Cool man! Thanks! You're right it is a numbers / support game right now, so hopefully we can win them over and get this done quickly! We're trying to get IMBA more involved with it as well as BikeMojo, so posting in Austin Voodoo and San Marcos forums for BikeMojo is awesome! Awareness is key here!

May 2004
    You can request a visit by the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew but the 2009 schedule is probably already set. http://www.imba.com/tcc/

You could also hire a local builder to conduct a trail school like Talon Trails (http://www.talontrails.com) or just go to the weekly Greenbelt Alliance trail building sessions. I think they happen every Thursday morning.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Yep...couldnt make it this morning but I have in the past and will continue to help when I can. I am hopeing to be the builder/designer on this project when we finially get the clearance to build the park, I have experience in trail building in the past (not certification or anything but I know alot) plus I have a decent amount of a engineering degree under my belt from UTSA...which I quit because I started a business. Either way, I want to get this done and dont feel the need to wait around for the IMBA to get officially involved.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep...couldnt make it this morning but I have in the past and will continue to help when I can. I am hopeing to be the builder/designer on this project when we finially get the clearance to build the park, I have experience in trail building in the past (not certification or anything but I know alot) plus I have a decent amount of a engineering degree under my belt from UTSA...which I quit because I started a business. Either way, I want to get this done and dont feel the need to wait around for the IMBA to get officially involved.
    Update?

mtbr member
    bump for update.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Sorry for the late update guys. I was in a crappy motorcycle accident a couple weeks ago. So in light of physical therapy, work, and school I fear I don't have enough energy to do it all on my own anymore.

Anyone with some artistic skill please get in touch with me via email: [email protected]

I want to continue working on this project, but from the sidelines for a bit. I have resources set aside in terms of lumbar at my house and natural cedar logs at a friends house closer to the park. I also am in contact with the owner of 'The Land' freeride park/project in upstate New York; we've been trying to get some time on the phone to talk about problems that could arise and what he faced with building his park.

Anyhow, I am asking for help, INCLUDING help from the IMBA; hopefully someone from there is a local freerider and will help out.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sorry to hear about your accident, I did get your PM.

If you want any hope of this project staying alive, you need to find someone to take it over, full force and work to bring them up to speed.

Otherwise, all is lost.

Post up on bikemojo too.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Thats what I am doing. I was waiting to hear back from you and a few others. Mainly why I am posting here is to see if anyone local is interested in taking it over. I am also posting up on TwoSpoke.com and BikeMojo.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thats what I am doing. I was waiting to hear back from you and a few others. Mainly why I am posting here is to see if anyone local is interested in taking it over. I am also posting up on TwoSpoke.com and BikeMojo.com
    Well, I wish I could say I had the time to make this happen, and maybe I will in a few years, but with two kids under 3 and a wife that works evenings, there is simply no way to do it.

Have you tried getting in touch with the ARR people to see if they are interested in extending down to SM?

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Arr?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Arr?
    Austin Ridge Riders

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My company also teaches the IMBA trail school. We also have experience building skills areas and we're based out of Austin. Our fall is extremely busy, but this sounds like an interesting project.
    Texas based trail builders: www.sstrails.com

Members who have read this thread: 0