buck creek is awesome!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

buck creek is awesome!!

well friday i finally got the membership to buck creek, and today i got to ride. okay maybe this is just the newb in me, but i had a blast!!! i was only out there for about 30 minutes but it was great!!! i rode a trail to the right of the parking lot. this easy trail just proved to me how out of shape i am. also i didnt realize how i could not ride...there were many times where i almost ran off the trail i was going too fast and shouldnt have been. oh well i will get better over time. and yes guys i do know there are better trails but this is just enough for me.
    oh and the bike did well (gt palomar). pretty easy to ride...needs some upgrades but nice none the less.

i just want to thank the people that put alll the work in the trail...

hoping to get out there tommorrow
    bird

TNC
    noMAD man
    Glad you enjoyed the trail. You know...as far as rating Buck Creek to other trails, I've ridden in lots of other places in the U.S....Mammoth Lakes, Moab, and other famous venues. Buck Creek isn't as good as those places, but frankly I'd put it up against any place in Texas...except that ranch at Bronte. Now, I'm not saying this to trash other places in Texas, but the cool thing about Buck Creek is that we've been able to build and design the trail in just about any way we want it. It's got way more technical places in it than most trails, but then there are "safe" bypasses around the harder technical areas to provide something for everyone. There are pleny of signs to warn people of such areas, so that you know what you're getting into. The maps and signage allow a rider to know where they are at any time also. So many trails in Texas are relatively tame...maybe too tame overall. Buck Creek at least keeps it interesting most of the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TNC; 02-12-2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add pic

climbbikeskione
    May 2006

Coming Down Soon

TNC...and other great Abilene Riders...Well It's a bittersweet time for me, I am leaving the great expanse of the Black Hills to head down south for a new adventure. I have to admit I will really miss the great riding and comaderie of this small little niche of awesome riding! But duty calls and I am off...At the same time I am very excited to meet new people and share the love of riding and trail building in a new area. I have heard great things of the cycling evolution going on in Abilene and I look forward to furthering the sport there. TNC, can you shed any light on the progress of the Abilene State Park Project? I have heard the city bought some land there that will be developed this spring. If you care or need the help, I have had a big part in building many of the great trails up here and I am very motivated to carry on the tradition there. I have spoke with Gary a few times from the shop...You're not the same guy are you? Either way I look forward to meeting you all.

cheers,
    Jason

TNC
    noMAD man
    Jason, from your profile I assume that you and Gary have the same career background...he's retired from it now. He's full time at the shop, Biketown, and I'm just part time...retired. I don't want too much interferring with my Bronte bike trips...LOL!

Yeah, the State Park project is apparently moving...just slowly. The city of Abilene owned that land and gave it to the state park. It's an awesome piece of propery. And unless the park dictates just bike path level trails only, the potential out there is massive. I've ridden a dirt motor out there back in the '70s, and the terrain is great for challenging MTB stuff. The land studies and other bureaucratic hoopla is supposedly still going on, so no trail building has started yet.

We also have a ranch, Bronte, that has about 75 miles of some of the best trail I've ever ridden, short of Moab, that I'm sure you'll like also. We'll be glad to introduce you to that place.

BTW...like your profile pic on the "67" action...if I'm seeing that right.

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006
    Okay, you have my curiosity fully engaged. I was looking for a fun stopover on my way back from Colorado to Central Texas (and I mean Austin, not Brady).

Would love to check out Buck Creek. What's the skinny on visitor access on a weekday?

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Jason, from your profile I assume that you and Gary have the same career background...he's retired from it now. He's full time at the shop, Biketown, and I'm just part time...retired. I don't want too much interferring with my Bronte bike trips...LOL!

Yeah, the State Park project is apparently moving...just slowly. The city of Abilene owned that land and gave it to the state park. It's an awesome piece of propery. And unless the park dictates just bike path level trails only, the potential out there is massive. I've ridden a dirt motor out there back in the '70s, and the terrain is great for challenging MTB stuff. The land studies and other bureaucratic hoopla is supposedly still going on, so no trail building has started yet.

We also have a ranch, Bronte, that has about 75 miles of some of the best trail I've ever ridden, short of Moab, that I'm sure you'll like also. We'll be glad to introduce you to that place.

BTW...like your profile pic on the "67" action...if I'm seeing that right.
    What's the skinny on this ranch at Bronte? I am out in San Angelo and would love to meet up in Bronte for some good riding sometime. It's not too far of a drive especially if the trails are as good as you say .

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    where exactly is Buck Creek?

Members who have read this thread: 0