Buck Creek, Abilene- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Buck Creek, Abilene

Just a few photos from the trail system way out here in Abilene. We have 10 miles of technical single track. About 600 feet of climbing per lap. Lap times run around just under an hour for the fast guys and the average around 1.5 hours.

You may encounter Snakes, Coyotes, Bobcat, Wild Hog and cactus. We recommend something with some suspension because we like our trails to be challenging as well as fun. You will need some kind of flat protection to ride out here also. Stans works best but at least slime in your tubes.

The trail system is not open. We insist you become a member of the local bike club which gives us insurance through IMBA and in turn allows the us the land use. Sorry, that is just the way it is! We wish it could be open to all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Nice pics

I worked in Abilene for about 3 months a few years ago and would ride these trails in my free time. I always thought they were some of the most well maintained, all around fun trails I'd been on. Glad to see some pics. Hopefully I can make it back out that way sometime to get another ride in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks Zander...

We have changed a great deal in the last year or two out there. I elect not to show some of the crazy stuff. Did you ride the sections accross the creek? We have bridges that go over and back now. IMO that is the best sections out there.

We are very lucky to have a retired police officer who makes all the trail signs and does a lot of work to make the trails safe.

Thanks again... Hope to see you back out some day.

Tex

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I did ride the trails across the creek, but at the time they weren't maintained like the main loop. I'd usually ride the main loop that was about 7 or 8 miles. Sounds like the improvements are awesome, hopefully work will bring me that way again soon.

Post up some more pics of the tech stuff if you get a chance, I'd like to see it.

Sep 2006
    I haven't been out to the old buck creek trails in a couple of months. I plan on going out thursday if the weather holds up. Any new features I should know about, other than the nice drop off of patriot hill?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Have you been out there on the new "HSU Expressway"? It's after the mile 5 sign after Academy Forest where the fence is directly on your left on that fast downhill. The trail now goes straight with the fence and takes you over to "Pancake Rock Drop" instead of turning you left. It was good to get Pancake into the main trail.

Also as you come off "Hoover Hill" on that fast downhill now that usually takes you to "Abilene Slickrock", you can go straight. A new jump is located there with a pretty good double drop down. This isn't quite finished yet, so you just turn around after the drop down and go back to the Slickrock cement where you came in. It's going to add another fun element to the ride.

I don't know if you're aware there are also two distinct paths at the "Waterfall" now. Where you normally turn left to duck into the trees at the Waterfall, just go straight and then bear left for a new change of pace.

Sep 2006
    Sounds good. I am going to do my best to get some riding in this saturday.

Members who have read this thread: 0