Boston to Austin

Printable View

• 03-24-2006
    mtgoz
    Boston to Austin
    My wife dropped a bomb on me today. Her company is eliminating her position here in Boston for which we moved here for in '99. I have loved my stay here in New England. Awsome riding, really cool people, relaxed atmosphere, but unfortunatly it's time to move on. I sell construction equipment, primarily large dewatering pumps. I had sold them in the petrochemical market in Houston first, then in Boston during the Big Dig (really cool stuff). Now in the seven years we've been in New England my father passed away and now her father has been diagnosed with bone cancer so it's time to move a bit closer to the loved ones. My question to my mtbr brothers and sisters. What's Austin like? Besides the occasional parties I went to at UT (not an alumnus, UH grad, can't you tell, no paragraphs) How's the bike atmosphere? We are looking at the central Austin area. Sorry but we can not, will not live in the suburbs. Boston has spoiled us to easy riding and commuting. Are there things and areas to look for and to stay away from? Looking forward to living in Tejas again, any help from ya'll (wow that sounds weird) would be appreciated.
  • 03-24-2006
    BikeMojo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgoz
    My wife dropped a bomb on me today. Her company is eliminating her position here in Boston for which we moved here for in '99. I have loved my stay here in New England. Awsome riding, really cool people, relaxed atmosphere, but unfortunatly it's time to move on. I sell construction equipment, primarily large dewatering pumps. I had sold them in the petrochemical market in Houston first, then in Boston during the Big Dig (really cool stuff). Now in the seven years we've been in New England my father passed away and now her father has been diagnosed with bone cancer so it's time to move a bit closer to the loved ones. My question to my mtbr brothers and sisters. What's Austin like? Besides the occasional parties I went to at UT (not an alumnus, UH grad, can't you tell, no paragraphs) How's the bike atmosphere? We are looking at the central Austin area. Sorry but we can not, will not live in the suburbs. Boston has spoiled us to easy riding and commuting. Are there things and areas to look for and to stay away from? Looking forward to living in Tejas again, any help from ya'll (wow that sounds weird) would be appreciated.

First off..... I live in San Antonio.

Austin has an excellent cycling crowd.

A buddy did the same move just over a year ago. I am not sure if he is on MTBR but I am going to send him a link to this thread.
  • 03-24-2006
    dburatti
    Austin has a strong cycling community, both on and off road, and both get along fairly well. :) The mountain bike riding in Austin ranges from hard packed dirt with minimal technical riding to very rocky, quite technical ledgy riding. There are several public trails in the Austin area and several pay-to-ride ranches like Rocky Hill Ranch, which has a small bike shop, campnig and showers, and a saloon where you can get a 1/2 lb burger, a cold beer, and listen to live music.

As far as areas of town in which to live, check into Tarrytown, Hyde Park (University area,) Allandale, Rosedale...basically anything bounded by the river on the south*, the river on the west, I-35 on the east*, and 183 on the north.

* There are some areas just south of the river that you might find suitable. The same goes for east Austin, which is experiencing a revival or sorts...regentrification.

I think you Austin compared to Boston. Post up on Bike MoJo when you move into town for ride info.

Dewayne
  • 03-24-2006
    stackout
    Austin is a very different scene from Boston. The people here are a lot nicer, more generous and a lot more mellow. The restaurants are not as good, but they are a lot cheaper. But this is about biking.

There is no user conflict on the trails (none of the absurdity at the Fells for instance). On the other hand, there is nothing as big or as diverse as the Fells or Lynn Woods, certainly not Vietnam. A lot of the trails here are like rocky versions of Trail of Tears. There are 2 parks in town that offer good riding, and a bunch of ranches within a couple of hours that have nice routes, but cost 10/day.

The racing here is VERY different from home. People train a lot more, but are not nearly as strong technical riders. People dig hardtails, and dont run. Camping is a much bigger deal, and races tend to be weekend-long social events. TMBRA, though, is not nearly as racer-focused as EFTA. Payouts and prizes seeem to foster a lot more competitiveness and sandbagging, too. But its still a lot of fun.

The road riding here is about a million times better than Boston.

Since I moved here in August 2004, I have been on my trainer twice. And I average, year-round, 8-10 hours a week in the saddle.
  • 03-26-2006
    mtgoz
    Stackout, We've ridden together at the Fells probably 3 or 4years ago. If I remember correctly you had a reflector on your rear wheel. I thought it was funny till you smoked me on one of the RAGE rides. How are the trails in comparison to say Lynn, Otis, Nam, Fells, Fort Rock, Dogtown etc... I've ditched all my 26" geared rides and went to a 29er single speed. The last race I did was in Warda in '97, lot's of sanbaggers then too. Now I just ride low and slow. Anyway I should be moving before the end of the year. Thanks for the info.
  • 03-26-2006
    BikeMojo
    Quote:

Stackout, We've ridden together at the Fells probably 3 or 4years ago. If I remember correctly you had a reflector on your rear wheel. I thought it was funny till you smoked me on one of the RAGE rides.

Very cool.

When Stackout moved here he told me about the RAGE rides.
  • 04-16-2006
    austin_bike
    If you're coming to Austin you can find trail info here:

http://www.austinbike.com

Plus, you can usually find people to ride with at:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumd...?s=&forumid=14
  • 04-17-2006
    nando
    Quote:

Boston to Austin.

I think congratulations are in order. Can't go wrong with ATX.
  • 04-18-2006
    dburatti
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nandomax
    I think congratulations are in order. Can't go wrong with ATX.

Sure you can go wrong here. People hate it in Austin. The trafifc sucks, and so does public transportation. The trails are overcrowded. It'll probably each 100 degrees today, and it's only April 18. Housing is super expensive. The bike comunity is so fragmented that it totally sucks. The popular restaurants have waits of up to 2+ hours during peak times. And worst of all, we're right in the middle of this huge ass conservative state trying to push its rights-restricting opinions on everyone else.

You really don't want to move here. Texas, and this place in particular, sucks.

Dewayne
  • 04-18-2006
    austin_bike
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dburatti
    Sure you can go wrong here. People hate it in Austin. The trafifc sucks, and so does public transportation. The trails are overcrowded. It'll probably each 100 degrees today, and it's only April 18. Housing is super expensive. The bike comunity is so fragmented that it totally sucks. The popular restaurants have waits of up to 2+ hours during peak times. And worst of all, we're right in the middle of this huge ass conservative state trying to push its rights-restricting opinions on everyone else.

You really don't want to move here. Texas, and this place in particular, sucks.

Dewayne

Yeah, and the people we have to ride with are all jerks :)