Biking near the Killeen Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Biking near the Killeen Area

I've been getting back into mountain biking and looking for other place's to ride beside Blora. Hoping to try Dana Peak tomorrow if the trails are good and dry, but does anyone have any other spot's? Or ride these trails and looking for a riding buddy? Can ride beginner and some Amateur trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Cameron Park in Waco is the shit. Good stuff. All kinds of stuff on the north side of Austin right up your alley. Walnut Creek is exactly what you are looking for with a mix of beginner level with a couple of intermediate spots to keep it interesting. There are some easy parts of Lake Georgetown, but do your research on it first before going as there are other parts that can get hairy for a beginner.

First go here and go to the north of Austin section. Check out Brushy Creek and stay away from the gnarly stuff. Also look in the Austin section for places like Walnut Creek and the Barton Creek Greenbelt (don't do the greenbelt without a guide).

If you want to go further north than Waco, try out Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glenrose about 50 miles south/southwest of Fort Worth.

Once it opens back up in February, Reveille Peak Ranch in Burnet isn't too far from you and is a great place to raise your skill set. Plus because the geology there tends to be a lot of granite versus limestone like the rest of central Texas, it is easier to get loads of grip when you are climbing stuff. It's also one of the only places in Texas that is good to go when it's wet. You can have a hell of a time when it is actively raining.

Go here if you decide to head south of Killeen and hit up either Lake Georgetown or one of the over 100 miles of trails in the Austin metropolitan area. Hit me up on that site (same name) or here if you go during the week. Ask there for a tour guide or for pointers. Ignore the jagoffs.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    How did you like Dana Peak? It is my favorite trail----my fave rte is to go around all the points, climb up to the saddle, on to lost and found, then down one-niner, descend downward and take the old trail abck to lost and found, and then fence line to gnome and then back to parking area. 8.5 miles. I'll do 2 or 3 loops.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I love Dana Peak, it has different trails and challenges for everybody from the beginner to the more advance. I like going up and back down one-niner for the exercise it gives you, or if I'm having a off day the trail right beside the lake is a nice one to do as a warm up, lately where i park by that bend and instead of taking the hill down i take that first left and go right beside the fence all the way done to the beginning of one-niner then head back. If you want a great work out and seeing the trail i would recommend park to park where you go from Dana all the way to still house and back.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMTB21 View Post
    If you want a great work out and seeing the trail i would recommend park to park where you go from Dana all the way to still house and back.
    ^^That's how I do it.^^^
    But then again I'm driving from Cleburne... I feel like that's the best way to get the overall feel of what it has to offer out there!!