Bike/Tire Thread for DFW Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Bike/Tire Thread for DFW Trails

Hi All,

What is everyone riding / using for tires in the DFW area? It seems that most trails (except for parts of big cedar) are relatively 'intermediate', based on what I'm reading, which would lend itself to a mid travel trail bike or XC bike with fast rolling tires.

Interested in what works and what doesn't?

ps. I've never been to Dallas but am coming down for an extended period in about 2 months and want to prep!
    `12 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29er HT
    `10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR - Sold

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I ride Maxxis Ikon out back and Ardent up front. I like them but I am not all about speed and weight either. Personally I will sacrifice a little speed if I have to so I can be more confident they won't wash out on me.
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ^^^^That's a good combo, Ardent Race up front might be even better for most trails. And Ikon/Ikon is good at the hard-packed trails like Erwin, RCP, LBH, etc. until they start to get broken up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great, thanks guys. Do you typically find that for most riding in the area you are better off with more trail/XC oriented bikes? I have a Tallboy 29er with 100mm of travel on both ends and am thinking that would work pretty well and I wouldn't really need anything more aggressive than that.
    `12 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 29er HT
    `10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR - Sold

mtbr member
    Ardent 2.4 Front and Ikon 2.35 rear or Ardent Race 2.2 rear is a safe bet.

If you want faster rolling, switch the front to an Ikon 2.35

I'd suggest getting the EXO versions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrankscid View Post
    Great, thanks guys. Do you typically find that for most riding in the area you are better off with more trail/XC oriented bikes? I have a Tallboy 29er with 100mm of travel on both ends and am thinking that would work pretty well and I wouldn't really need anything more aggressive than that.
    Perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I actually went to marian samson park trails today, they just added some new trails and did some maintenance. It's a very nice ride with a nice waterfall at the bottom, Very fun, with both intermediate and advanced trails! A good way to spend the afternoon!

Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I am interested in bringing this thread back from the dead. I would love to hear more combos and recommendations from locals who have had good and bad experiences.

I am about to replace my rear Rocket Ron that came on the bike and feel there is a better tire out there for me. I ride Northshore 1-5 99% of the time I am riding the bike. The bike is a Cannondale Habit 4 so 27.5 wheel size.

Has anyone had good or bad luck with the Maxxis Crossmark IIs or Continental Mountain Kings? The Ikon is an option as well, but I am wondering if the DHR II or High Roller 2 are overkill for Northshore.

My riding style is aggressive and my main focuses are increasing my average MPH and stability in the corners. Bottom line, I want to trust the bike and minimize my braking.

Any recommendations other than those above?
    2016 Cannondale Habit 4 :thumbsup:
    2010 Cliff Windsor 4900 - Fox Float RL 130, Velociraptors :nono:

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I ride NS all the time and usually on a bike with Ardent Race 2.2 rear/AR 2.35 front. Ikons don't work too well on the kitty litter out there, front or rear. On my more aggressive bike (Pivot Switchblade) I run an Tomahawk back and Aggressor front and that combo sticks like glue, but is a little slower rolling.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc