Bike Thief Caught - James Clayton - $60k in goods- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Bike Thief Caught - James Clayton - $60k in goods

Talk of the town in Austin right now is the arrest of one James Clayton, douchebag extraordinaire.

Allegedly, he was a local racer/coach/trainer/mechanic and respected community member (ha) who would befriend cyclists in order to case their situation. He (allegedly) stole from his friends and other cyclists and did it all for profit. (Allegedly a) Loser.

Alleged M.O:
    1. He would also use craigslist and setup buys in order to case places as well.
    2. There are also reports in the racing world that he would use events to case and steal as well.
    3. Steal from those who trusted him.
    4. Profit by selling the parts (online).

Apparently he has a history of this activity that goes back decades and across state lines to AZ.

A local bike blogger helped crack the case. There is actually a bit of drama surrounding his role, so you can read it as you see fit. Funny part was his CL ads in the bike section, like this one.
    You can read the thread on the local ride forum:
    News Reports are here, here and here. Oh, another article here.

If you have had the bad luck of having interacted with him (or received emails from [email protected] ) please contact Detective Scott Askew with Austin PD (512-974-5978).

I will x-post this in the racer and AZ forum for anyone else that might need to contact authorities.

P.S: I don't know him, I don't know anything other than what I have read and I have tried to remain objectivish and let the (supposedly) innocent remain so, despite the fact that there is apparently a very strong case against this stealing thieving douchebag sack of sociopathic shite. If you need to contact me for some reason, do so using the email-through-the-site functionality.

edit: pic attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 02-06-2009 at 12:56 PM.

Salty Dog
    Good information! Thanks for sharing. I wonder if this guy had anything to do with the thefts over the past several years at MBAA races. Any idea how long ago he was in Arizona?
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Im at work, someone pull his facebook or myspace page so we can all put a face with a name!
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Allegedly, he was a local racer/coach/trainer/mechanic and respected community member (ha) who would befriend cyclists in order to case their situation. He (allegedly) stole from his friends and other cyclists and did it all for profit. (Allegedly a) Loser.
    Ohh the irony...

~Disc~Golf~
    here's the charges from "In Custody" page for Travis Co. (https://public.co.travis.tx.us/sips/default.aspx)

Travis County Sheriff
    Inmate Information

CLAYTON, JAMES RAY

Date of Birth: 2/19/1967
    Booking Number: 0905944 Booked: 2/3/2009 13:32
    Arresting Agency: AUSTIN POLICE DEPT Offense #: A090340735
    Facility: TRAVIS COUNTY JAIL Building: TJ Unit: 4N
    Charges (4)

BURGLARY OF A HABITATION
    2ND DEGREE FELONY -- Cause Number: D1DC09500026
    Charge Authority: NEW WARRANT - CLASS B OR ABOVE
    Bond: $15,000.00 ANY TYPE OF BOND
    Sentenced to 0 days 0 months
    Disposition: 2/3/2009 PERSONAL BOND

BURGLARY OF A HABITATION
    2ND DEGREE FELONY -- Cause Number: D1DC09300317
    Bond: $20,000.00 ANY TYPE OF BOND

THEFT BETWEEN $1500 AND $20000
    STATE JAIL FELONY -- Cause Number: D1DC09300278
    Bond: $15,000.00 CASH OR SURETY

OUT OF STATE
    FELONY -- Cause Number: 2006030370
    Charge Authority: HOLD FOR ANOTHER AGENCY
    Bond: $0.00
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlock
    Ohh the irony...
    Want to match wits there kid? Give it a try, I would suggest you start with something better....something more along the lines of::

Quote Originally Posted by Garlock
    Call that Jimmy guy and the south eastern guys then, don't post this where it doesn't belong.

I don't fancy my witty posts.Most of my posts that you are linking to, are actually serious (like you would know about riding hard). Which takes me to suggesting you to get a life, to stop investigating people (creep), and to mind your own business. Also, learn to grammar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I seriously thought the craigslist postings were jokes. I figured it was somebody trying to mess with a friend. Maybe it was the goofy pic of the dude holding that bottle of Shiner.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

mtbr member
    i think he (or someone) pulled his facebook page down completely. Someone posted a link on another forum and I clicked it and it doesnt exist

Members who have read this thread: 0