Bike Shops Near Longview, TX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Bike Shops Near Longview, TX

Looking at getting a new FS bike soon. Anyone know of any good shops, good deals, etc. in the Longview area? Thanks in advance for any help.

Feb 2006
    Which brands or style are you looking at?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have really thought hard about a Santa Cruz Superlight, but would be open to something comparable. I am definately not an expert on full suspension bikes----have ridden a hardtail Trek for a while now. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Feb 2006
    So, based on the limited information you've given so far, you're looking at light, 4" travel FS bike that will keep the benefits of your HT, but give you a little extra cushion. Obviously, there are a lot of other bikes in this category (makes it fun and hard at the same time). You've got the Titus Racer-X, Turner Flux (or Nitrous if you're under 165 lbs), Ellsworth Truth, Santa Cruz Blur XC, Specialized, etc. These frames are all more expensive than the SL, but I'm not sure what your price limitations are.

As far as shops to consider, you'll pretty much have to stick with the big cities for shops selling the higher end stuff. Mad Duck in Grapevine is the only authorized Santa Cruz dealer that I'd recommend in your general area (IMO the Houston dealers range from mediocre to six shades of awful). Mad Duck sells Titus, Cannondale, Yeti, and others as well. Hammerhead in Austin is a great shop. IIRC, they have Titus, Ventana, Intense, Ellsworth, and others. Some Texas shops will also bring demos to XC races and events, and most of these manufacturers will periodically hold demo days in here in Texas, so keep your eyes open.

Another consideration is Competitive Cyclist up in Little Rock, which isn't too far from where you are (for $200, they'll also ship a bike to you to demo for a week). Make an appointment and you can demo most of these bikes (and others) back to back out on the trail near their shop. I've been frustrated by the difficulty in finding these higher end bikes here in Houston for more than a ride around the parking lot, so I'm actually headed up there this weekend to compare the Racer-X and Flux.

At the level you're looking at, the shop you go to will depend on the bike you want. To give you a more specific bike recommendation, you'll have to tell us a little more about yourself, the type of riding you do, price range, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well, first off, I am trying to keep the price range around $2500. Most of the trails I ride are what I consider non-technical (examples include a. the Monkey Trail out of Shreveport, LA b. Kisatchie National Forest near Alexandria, LA and c. a few fire roads here and there). I am about 5'9" tall and about 160 lbs----probably need about a 17.5 inch frame. I really would like to ride a few bikes before purchasing. A friend has a SC Superlight that he loves---he's had it for a few years. My older brother is transitioning from a hardtail to a new model 29" Gary Fisher (waiting from a call from the bike shop). I wanted something different than these 2 guys since they are who I ride with most, but from what I read, the Superlight would be pretty hard to beat for the price. If you can give me a little input, I would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    The only shop in Longview is Woolley G's

Got my ride at Simpson's south of Tyler in Whitehouse, There is also Tanner's in Tyler. He is mainly Specialized with Woolley's and Simpson's being Trekies. Simpson's lists Santa Cruz on their website so I dunno, maybe give them a call and see what they can do?

Good luck!

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EAST_TX
    Well, first off, I am trying to keep the price range around $2500. Most of the trails I ride are what I consider non-technical (examples include a. the Monkey Trail out of Shreveport, LA b. Kisatchie National Forest near Alexandria, LA and c. a few fire roads here and there). I am about 5'9" tall and about 160 lbs----probably need about a 17.5 inch frame. I really would like to ride a few bikes before purchasing. A friend has a SC Superlight that he loves---he's had it for a few years. My older brother is transitioning from a hardtail to a new model 29" Gary Fisher (waiting from a call from the bike shop). I wanted something different than these 2 guys since they are who I ride with most, but from what I read, the Superlight would be pretty hard to beat for the price. If you can give me a little input, I would appreciate it.
    Pretty funny. I'm currently on a GF hardtail, which is in the shop for a frame replacement. In the meantime, I'm riding a loaner GF 29"er and shopping for a new 4" FS race bike. I gotta tell you, the 29'er is awesome. I thought all the talk about the benefits of the bigger wheels was a lot of hype, but I figured I'd try it out before making any snap judgments. All I have to say is wow! I'm pumped about building my dream FS bike, but I have to say that now I want a 29'er in my stable too.

I'm not sure whether you'll be racing or how much of an issue weight is to you, but it sounds like you're looking for something light and fast. I'm no expert here, but in your price range, you might want to start out by checking out the Salsa El Santo, Giant NRS, Trek Fuel, Cannondale, among others. You'll also definitely want to post this question (giving all of the specifics you gave me) in the What Bike to Buy forum.
    Last edited by TLud; 06-16-2006 at 10:04 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0