Big Bend Trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Big Bend Trails?

Will be in Big Bend area April or may. Any good mtb trails there? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderoo222
    Will be in Big Bend area April or may. Any good mtb trails there? Thanks
    There is plenty of riding out that way, namely in the form of Big Bend Ranch State Park and Big Bend National Park. You can get more info on the two from MountainBikeTx.com.

I, myself, haven't been there yet but have heard nothing but great things (from the riding, the views, to the people who live there) from friends and others that have gone.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Great site! Thanks. I'm originally from San Antonio,Haven't been there in 20 years.Livin in florida now.Used to ride 700 acres in SA when I was a kid. Sounds like it's a lot different now.Can't wait to see tex again.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Why do i think I recently spoke with another TX to FL transplant? Either way, hope your trip goes well and feel free to send [MountainBikeTx.com] photos of it all!
    Pedigre

Got Mojo?
    wonderoo, just got back from MoM

There are miles of trail out in the Terlingua/Lajitas area.

The Lajitas Trail System has ~20-30 miles of sweet flowy singletrack mixed in with creekbeds... And the Contrabando/Dome trail at Big Bend Ranch State Park is to be seen.

Some snippits (courtesy dburatti)

Tips:

Run slime (or tubeless with FRESH sealant). And carry two spare slime tubes.

Carry and drink lots of H2O. It will be very hot out there April/May. It was 90F when we were on the Contrabando last Friday.

Stop in and talk to the folks at Desert Sports, they will give you the the current conditions and maps. If you are lucky you may get hooked up with one of their group rides.

Also, if you are in SA, feel free to drop me a note. I could give you the hook up at 700 Acres, but it will break your heart. If you rode 700 you most likely have ridden with several of my friends. Bikiniman Gary is still around, as well as Kenny.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Dec 2007
    What Bike Mojo said.

Also, if you want to ride in the BB National Park, there are no 'trails' but there are two jeep roads that are fun to ride...Glen Springs/Black Gap Rd and Old Ore Rd. Old Ore is 26 mi one way IIRC. Both roads can be fun and fairly fast if you start on the north end as they both gradually drop in elevation as you head towards the river (you'll still have some hills to climb). If this trip is during Spring Break, there will be more auto traffic on these roads so I would recommend the trails that Mojo speaks of...actually, I recommend them regardless.

Have fun,
    Mikey

Apr 2009
    Awesome pics from Bike Mojo, would love to bike the BB area. Hopefully this year!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by desertking
    Awesome pics from Bike Mojo, would love to bike the BB area. Hopefully this year!

Thanks,

And the camera cannot capture the true views. It is much larger in real life

Plan a fall trip, put it on your calendar and MAKE it happen, you will not regret it.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Members who have read this thread: 0