Big Bend Trail system threatened. Make calls.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Big Bend Trail system threatened. Make calls.

This call for action came out from the Wilderness Alliance of Texas and New Mexico.

Use the number to thank the park for including cycling in public lands planning.

"We are asking for action from both New Mexico Wilderness Alliance and Our Texas Wild members about a proposed bike trail to be built in Big Bend National Park. The trail would go through potential wilderness areas, and the correct procedures were not followed by the National Park Service. We are urging our members to call Big Bend National Park and request that they halt the project until proper procedures have been followed. The number for the Park is 432-477-2251 and the Park Superintendent is William Wellman. Please read more information below.

As we mentioned in a previous e-alert to our Texas members, in December 2010, Our Texas Wild submitted comments to Big Bend National Park regarding a proposed ten-mile mountain biking trail starting at Panther Junction. The trail would be the first of its kind in the US--going into back-country through potential wilderness areas. The trail is a pilot project of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Park Service and the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA) to increase biking opportunities."

Sounds great, right? So, Please support IMBA and MTB trails by supporting the park's decision to build this trail.

meh
    What procedures werent followed? Why does it need to be halted?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah need some more info. Also one of the -few- areas that are public land in this largest state in the CONUS, and we run into technicalities.

I love Texas, but I don't love the lack of public land in the largest state...

brandisher of chainsaws
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    I love Texas, but I don't love the lack of public land in the largest state...
    I agree with you so hard right now...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsawgeoff View Post
    I agree with you so hard right now...
    I'll second that second. I'm surrounded by National and State Forests, but I'm not allowed in on my bike, though, in the fall and winter, deer hunters and their RVs, ATVs, and trash are? It doesn't make sense to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Government policies and decisions rarely make sense.

Members who have read this thread: 0