Big Bend Ranch SP- Mtbr.com

Dec 2007

Big Bend Ranch SP

Headed that way in a few weeks and need some info.
    I've been to the NP several times but never to the State Park. I have a 4x4 Truck w/ a Camper and I may tow my jeep also. Main objective is MTBing, of course, with a little hiking and a lot of relaxing. The SP web site and my browser are not getting along (browser shuts down every time I click on the 'map' button).

Can someone tell me best place to camp so that bike trails are accessible?
    Any trail maps available? I found the SP facilities map...zero trails detail.
    Suggested trails? (I'm a pretty good rider but would prefer 'non-extreme' trails as I'll probably be riding alone.)
    Any 'can't miss' areas of the park? Any other general info, links etc. would be great. Anyone else headed that way between Christmas and the new year?

Thanks
    Mikey

mtbr member
    Try here

If you can wait to go try Valentines weekend, I hear there may be a mountain biker or two out there then

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Try here

If you can wait to go try Valentines weekend, I hear there may be a mountain biker or two out there then
    Thanks for the link, Fat Bob. Valentines weekend is probably out for me...it's also the wife's birthday and she thinks she should get to do what SHE wants. Go figure.

Mikey

mtbr member
    Can't help you beyond what you seem to already know; however, feel free to help us help everyone else when you get back
    Pedigre

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Can't help you beyond what you seem to already know; however, feel free to help us help everyone else when you get back
    I broke my other pocket camera, but I ordered a new one today. I'll take mucho pictures and post a report when I get back.

Mikey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLikesIt
    I broke my other pocket camera, but I ordered a new one today. I'll take mucho pictures and post a report when I get back.

Mikey
    very sweet! I look forward to it all. Thanks!
    Pedigre

Rohloff
    Headed that way in a few weeks and need some info.
    I've been to the NP several times but never to the State Park. I have a 4x4 Truck w/ a Camper and I may tow my jeep also. Main objective is MTBing, of course, with a little hiking and a lot of relaxing. The SP web site and my browser are not getting along (browser shuts down every time I click on the 'map' button).

Can someone tell me best place to camp so that bike trails are accessible?
    Any trail maps available? I found the SP facilities map...zero trails detail.
    Suggested trails? (I'm a pretty good rider but would prefer 'non-extreme' trails as I'll probably be riding alone.)
    Any 'can't miss' areas of the park? Any other general info, links etc. would be great. Anyone else headed that way between Christmas and the new year?

Thanks
    Mikey
    I camped at Big Bend NP last Thanksgiving and drove over to the SP one day. I can't tell you much about the SP except is huge, rugged and remote. Sounds like a great place for you and your 4x4s. The primary access is from the NW. Coming at it from the East in a car, I didn't get to do much other than drive along the road to Presidio along the South end of the park.

The Mountain Biking Texas book by Falcon lists a couple of double track jeep roads for moutain biking in the SP. There are also some hiking/equestrian trails. I'm not sure how the mountain biking will be. I think you are going to run into what I found when I went to New Mexico this Thanksgiving. Long, boring dirt roads and singletrack trails that have you walking more than you ride. The one thrill I found was getting shuttle to the top of a mountain and making a long, fast downhill run.

If I were going to your way, I'd be sure and make it to the Lajitas Loop at the Lajitas Airport. It's a fun, fast singletrack. You can drop by Desert Sports for a little riding info and I recommend the Ghost Town Cafe in Terlinqua for a good meal.

I'm thinking about going somewhere between Christmas and New Years. I'm still not sure where.

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdc
    ...If I were going to your way, I'd be sure and make it to the Lajitas Loop at the Lajitas Airport. It's a fun, fast singletrack. You can drop by Desert Sports for a little riding info and I recommend the Ghost Town Cafe in Terlinqua for a good meal.

I'm thinking about going somewhere between Christmas and New Years. I'm still not sure where.
    Thanks bsdc. I've not heard of the Lajitas loop...I'll check it out. How long a loop is it? I have heard of the guys at Desert Sports...I'll definately go pick their brains. I hope the park has some decent single track. If not, it won't be a waisted trip...I love the Big Bend area.

I didn't go last year because of the fuel prices...I'm going this year barring some catastrophie. If you decide to go, (or anyone else that reads this thread) shoot me a PM. If we can't do a ride together, maybe we can at least have a beer and BS about riding.

Mikey

mtbr member
    Mikey, when do you think you are heading out that way? Where are you coming from?
    Pedigre

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Mikey, when do you think you are heading out that way? Where are you coming from?

I live North of Dallas in Grayson Co. I don't know the exact days we plan to be there just yet...still trying to coordinate Christmas with the family. We may spend a day or two in Ft Davis. I do know that we will in the area sometime between Christmas and Jan. 3rd.

Mikey

mtbr member
    Were you by chance planning on paying Davis Mts State Park a visit?
    Pedigre

Dec 2007
    No. My Mother has a few (5) acres of land just outside of Ft Davis. Havn't seen it, or the town, in a while. May pay a visit if time allows.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm in Sherman. Where are you from? I'm always trying to find people to ride with if you you're in the area.

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by flbikerman
    I'm in Sherman. Where are you from? I'm always trying to find people to ride with if you you're in the area.
    Denison. Tried to send a PM but was unsuccesful. I ride Eisenhour SP, Cross Timbers, Johnson Branch SP etc as often as I can. Send me a PM and maybe we can get together for a ride.

Mikey

mtbr member
    No. My Mother has a few (5) acres of land just outside of Ft Davis. Havn't seen it, or the town, in a while. May pay a visit if time allows.
    If you do, we have a few pieces of info missing from the listing on MountainBikeTx.com for FDSP.
    Pedigre

Rohloff
    Thanks bsdc. I've not heard of the Lajitas loop...I'll check it out. How long a loop is it? I have heard of the guys at Desert Sports...I'll definately go pick their brains. I hope the park has some decent single track. If not, it won't be a waisted trip...I love the Big Bend area.

I didn't go last year because of the fuel prices...I'm going this year barring some catastrophie. If you decide to go, (or anyone else that reads this thread) shoot me a PM. If we can't do a ride together, maybe we can at least have a beer and BS about riding.

Mikey
    You need to check with Desert Sports on the current situation with the Lajitas Trails. Some are on private land and aren't available except during events. Some new trails are being cut. I think the primary trails are right at the airport. There's a place to park on Ranch Road 170 just East of the entrance to the airport. I'm not sure how long the loop is. There are quite a few miles of nice singletrack winding through the desert. It's fairly flat with some short, steep hills. It makes for some fun, fast riding. If it's over too fast for you, just turn around and run it backwards. I had a lot of fun there.

I was planning my New Mexico trip last year. I was a little worried I would be paying $5/gal. I was glad to see the powers that be decided to prop up our failing economy with cheap oil. As it turns out, gas is cheap. Pretty nice for a trip out West.

I'm probably holding off on a trip to the Big Bend area until the Mas o Menos in February. I'm not a racer, but I think it would be fun to go check out the hoopla and ride some trails you can't otherwise ride. I look forward to hearing about what you find on your trip.

I was thinking about some trails on your way out there. I sometimes like to stop and go for a ride on my way to places. One place to consider is X Bar Ranch near Sonora, TX. It's suppose to be a nice place to ride. http://www.xbarranch.com/

Dec 2007
    Good info, bsdc.

I'd love to make it to the Mas o Menos...I don't race either but I do drink beer! It sounds like it would be a blast. Maybe next year.

Thanks for reminding me about trails along the way. Sonora is a little out of the way for me...I think. I'll have to look at my maps. We do go through San Angelo...I hear there is a great trail at the State Park there. I may have to spend a day or so there.

I'm starting to get excited now.
    Mikey

Rohloff
    Good info, bsdc.

I'd love to make it to the Mas o Menos...I don't race either but I do drink beer! It sounds like it would be a blast. Maybe next year.

Thanks for reminding me about trails along the way. Sonora is a little out of the way for me...I think. I'll have to look at my maps. We do go through San Angelo...I hear there is a great trail at the State Park there. I may have to spend a day or so there.

I'm starting to get excited now.
    Mikey
    I went through San Angelo on my way back from New Mexico. There's about 8 miles of trails there. It's pretty flat. Sonora is not much out of the way if you are going throug San Angelo from Dallas to Big Bend. I haven't been to X Bar Ranch. It's suppose to be some pretty good technical singletrack. I think you can camp there as well. Just a thought.

Dec 2007
    I went through San Angelo on my way back from New Mexico. There's about 8 miles of trails there. It's pretty flat. Sonora is not much out of the way if you are going throug San Angelo from Dallas to Big Bend. I haven't been to X Bar Ranch. It's suppose to be some pretty good technical singletrack. I think you can camp there as well. Just a thought.
    I don't know what I was thinking. I went through San Angelo a couple of times on my motocycle. But, taking the truck camper, we will be going down on I-20, through Big Spring, to avoid all the stop and goes. Still looking at my options.

Mikey

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Denison. Tried to send a PM but was unsuccesful. I ride Eisenhour SP, Cross Timbers, Johnson Branch SP etc as often as I can. Send me a PM and maybe we can get together for a ride.

Mikey
    sent you a pm

mtbr member
    So, are you gonna bring the fixie with you this year? I'd like to bring my fixie & my 29er, but I'm not sure how much space I'll have. I'll be bringing some makers mark this year rather than the nob hill of last year. I also have an addition (bamboo floor/mat) for the sweat lodge. This is of course provided the wife gives me the kitchen pass.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Fixed gear all the way. I don't think I'll have a problem but just in case I have a flip flop hub.
    I think the bamboo floor mat is a good idea but I think we started out with one last year didn't we? Just as long as it doesn't burn.
    I'll bring Patron and Crown again this year plus whatever else I happen upon. I'm sure whatever is brought will get drank. can't wait.

Dec 2007
    Fixed gear all the way. I don't think I'll have a problem but just in case I have a flip flop hub.
    I think the bamboo floor mat is a good idea but I think we started out with one last year didn't we? Just as long as it doesn't burn.
    I'll bring Patron and Crown again this year plus whatever else I happen upon. I'm sure whatever is brought will get drank. can't wait.
    OK...you and Fat Bob are really making it hard on me since Mas o Menos is out for me.

Mikey

Got Mojo?

just got back...

You can drop by Desert Sports for a little riding info
    Not just 'a little' info. They have the inside scoop on all the riding in the area. They also lead rides on the weekend. Good to get hooked up on it. Also if you are interested in going to the State Park it is good to ride with them as some of the trails are not super well marked. Stop in and ask them.

As I said, I just got back and am already planning the next trip. Good chance I will be there Dec 26-28

You need to check with Desert Sports on the current situation with the Lajitas Trails. Some are on private land and aren't available except during events. Some new trails are being cut. I think the primary trails are right at the airport. There's a place to park on Ranch Road 170 just East of the entrance to the airport. I'm not sure how long the loop is.
    All of the trail south of 170 is open year round. Park at the airport, get a map from Desert Sports, and enjoy the trails. Very well marked. And the outer loop is about 16 miles.

I'm probably holding off on a trip to the Big Bend area until the Mas o Menos in February. I'm not a racer, but I think it would be fun to go check out the hoopla and ride some trails you can't otherwise ride. I look forward to hearing about what you find on your trip.
    The stuff north of 170 (only open for the race) is a huge jeep road climb, Tres Cuevas. And a bunch of jeep road. It is worth doing for the views... even if you have to walk some of it...

One place to consider is X Bar Ranch near Sonora, TX. It's suppose to be a nice place to ride. https://www.xbarranch.com/
    X Bar is awesome, but I would call ahead, they may be closed for hunting.

Here's a couple of my favorite Lajitas/Terlingua threads...

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.p...light=big+bend

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.p...light=big+bend
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    I don't know what I was thinking. I went through San Angelo a couple of times on my motocycle. But, taking the truck camper, we will be going down on I-20, through Big Spring, to avoid all the stop and goes. Still looking at my options.

Mikey
    Not sure if you have clicked the link in my sig, but this might help you figure out what is on the way and what is out of the way:

Pedigre

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    ...As I said, I just got back and am already planning the next trip. Good chance I will be there Dec 26-28

...the outer loop is about 16 miles.

Here's a couple of my favorite Lajitas/Terlingua threads...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...light=big+bend

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...light=big+bend

Thanks for the info and links, BikeMojo. I was wondering when you'd chime in.
    I think we will be driving down on the 26th unless I can talk the wife into leaving sooner.
    Are you going to the SP?
    Have you done the Contrabando?
    Interested in trying to hook up for a ride...drinking adult beverages, BSing, etc?

Mikey

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I like it when you dig up that thread aLaN. Anyway I have 2 weeks vacation between now and April that I need to work around the main events (DFAC openings/closings on Ft Hood/North Ft Hood). Tues-Monday there in mid-Feb is looking like a possibility.

Hmmmm. MoM--if I go I hope I don't get as sick as last time.

Got Mojo?
    Thanks for the info and links, BikeMojo. I was wondering when you'd chime in.
    I get on MTBR once or twice a week...

I think we will be driving down on the 26th unless I can talk the wife into leaving sooner
    As I said, our plans are still becoming finalized, but as of now it would be to arrive 26th at noon.

Looks like we are staying at the Easter Egg Valley/Chisos Mining Co.

Are you going to the SP?
    Definitely, every time we go to Terlingua/Lajitas, take your SP pass.

Have you done the Contrabando?
    Several times. As I said, there is a couple of places where it is not well marked, and last time we were there (two weeks ago) we accidentally got off the main trail. Made it back to the trailhead at dusk. I now have a deep understanding for the term 'racing your shadow'.

Interested in trying to hook up for a ride...drinking adult beverages, BSing, etc?
    With that kinda attitude you will have a blast in Terlingua. I'll introduce you to Kathy, Tivo's and Gumby.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    I like it when you dig up that thread aLaN.
    It is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    Anyway I have 2 weeks vacation between now and April that I need to work around the main events (DFAC openings/closings on Ft Hood/North Ft Hood). Tues-Monday there in mid-Feb is looking like a possibility.

Hmmmm. MoM--if I go I hope I don't get as sick as last time.
    Stay posted.

https://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?t=73825

Mr. Z is bringing his guitar and sweatlodge. And there is a good chance that car!os may make it this year. And that means a case of NightTrain.
    Last edited by BikeMojo; 12-08-2008 at 09:06 AM.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Members who have read this thread: 0