Big Bend National Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Big Bend National Park

Hey Yall,

I'm planning a trip to big bend in September and I am not at all familiar with the area so I figured I might get some information from yall. I just wanted to know if yall suggest any trails, or maybe know something that not too many people know about. Also any advice on what area to camp in and what not would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!

XC racer
    May 2005
    I suggest you give Mike a call at desertsports.com. He is the former longtime race director for the races that used to be put on in Lajitas and Terlingua, and knows the area better than anyone. I think most of the stuff in the National Park proper is jeep road, but there's plenty of singletrack loops inbetween Terlingua and Lajitas, and in the State Park. The National Park is cool for hiking. As you drive up to the Basin area, you leave the desert floor behind for a much cooler forested micro-climate. The hike from there to Emory Peak takes a couple of hours but has some great vistas.

mtbr member
    there are a few threads in this forum that are solely about Big Bend and lessons learned and the sort. Do a search or look through the post titles.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Went down there in March, it was already hot as hell but there's some great riding in the state park. All single track in the national park is closed to bikes, but the state park has over 200 miles of it, great dirty dusty up and down through canyons around mountains, very rugged though. I would suggest camping in the national park ( state is all primitive with only composting toilets) and head over to the state park for day trips. There's a PDF on the state park website with all the trails just for biking.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...4501_0152l.pdf

PC

mtbr member
    May 2011
    pedigre I initially ran a search and couldnt find anything Ill try again and see what comes up.

Pcastag thanks for the advice (and the link) I had noticed that the state park had a lot more articles and videos about riding there and wondered if it would be the same for Big Bend, Ill definitely have to make a trip on one or two of the days and Check those trails out!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I would suggest the contrabando trail head, it's a bit of a drive from the national park to the state park, especially to get to the interior, if you come in from the southern end of the park through lajitas and terlingua the contrabando is right after you enter the park. Make sure you stick to the trail heads when you cross the streams, they were dry when I was there and we made the mistake of riding up the creekbed for a few miles, the crossings are marked by the traditional three rock piles.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Haha I'm sure finding your way back onto the trail was quite the adventure! Do you know if people frequent the state parks to ride? I noticed that the state park is pretty far from the national park so finding my way in itself will be an adventure, I know there are quite a few small towns and stores scattered throughout the area so hopefully finding my way from one park to the other wont be a problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you come in from the national park through the southern route ( lajitas/terlingua) it's pretty much a straight shot, not too hard to find. We were there in March over spring break and only saw one other group of bikers, the national park on the other hand was booked solid, I think it gets pretty hot so most people stay away and choose to go from november through february.
    PC

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I looked up the average temps for september which range in the low 90's to mid 80's which isnt that bad for me. I'm guessing that there shouldnt be many people there especially since it isnt during thier busy season like you said.