betterride?- Mtbr.com

Thread: betterride?

mtbr member

betterride?

curious if any of you Dallas riders did Gene Hamilton's Betterride clinic this past weekend.
    Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I did the camp and learned a tremendous amount. Gene is an excellent coach and a really cool guy on top of that. The drills he teaches may seem simple, but he is spot on that professionals practice the basics more than anything in most every sport. That is something else that can't be said enough, Gene has a tremendous understanding of sports and performance psychology and building training programs and how it applies to riding. That insight and his experience racing and riding are what make him an excellent coach.

I have started practicing the drills a couple times a week and already have seen improvements but can only imagine how much better I will be as a rider in a year. It was worth every penny in my opinion.
    AG

When in doubt, lean more. 95% of the time it will solve the problem; the other 5% of the time it'll end the suspense.

SS XC Junkie
    Ditto what Anotherguy said. I did his camp in Houston the week after the Dallas camp (last weekend.) I've been riding recreationally for many years and racing for the last year as a cat2. My conditioning coach has helped me build a hell of a motor but Gene's camp was exactly what I need to fill the gap with my bike handling skills (or lack of.)

Everything I knew about cornering was pretty much either incomplete or wrong. Gene spent a lot of time going over cornering and showing us how to do it correctly. After building my own bikes for the last couple of years and even racing last year, I thought I would skip the bike setup portion of the class. I actually learned quite a bit in that hour. Particularly about the stem and bars. Wheelies, I can power wheelie with the best of them but thanks to Gene, I finally learned to coaster wheelie and it actually helps me get over obstacles a lot more efficiently and smoother. Probably the most important lesson from the camp and the base for everything thought was around vision. Where your eyes are focused on is the base for everything Gene teaches.

I raced this year and did well, I can't wait to see what the 2011 spring season have for me. I'd highly recommend this class to everyone and I plan to take it again next summer!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

/

mispost

Members who have read this thread: 0