Best Trail near Ft. Worth?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best Trail near Ft. Worth?

I'll be in the Ft Worth Area for work near the Alliance Airport in two weeks and am looking for some XC trail recommendations. I'd like get about 20 miles in and am a sport class rider getting ready to make the jump to expert. I don't mind driving up to an hour away if the riding is good. Also, I'll take any suggestions on a local shop to rent a bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Talk to the guys that are on http://www.dorba2.com. There is quite a list of quality trails around the area so it will really depend on what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    The only rentals I know of is Richardson Bike Mart.
    Rockass

meh
    good map
    http://www.mountainbiketx.com/google/index.php

theres quite a bit of riding around DFW, depending on where you are willing to drive

Northshore/Horseshoe to the east around lake Grapevine look to be the closest to the airport and are all good places to ride (knob hills is around there too but i am not familiar with it)

how much time are you working with and what kind of trails? climbs, rocky, fast/flow, etc

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I stopped in Bicycles Plus the other day looking for my first bike and noticed they rented bikes. They have a few locations, but the closest would be the one in flower mound.

mtbr member
    closest to Alliance is Knob Hill. Its pretty XC trail that has some fun sections, but is for long stretches, pretty plain jane XC. Its an out and back that has I believe around 10 miles total...... It is on 377/Denton Hwy, just south of 1171/CrossTimbers Rd.

If you want more of a challenge, head south down I-35, and then hit 820 West until you get to 199/Jacksboro Hwy exit and go east about a half mile until you get to the light at Roberts Cut OFf Road and turn right. Go straight until the road curves to the left but if you go straight, there is a gravel road/parking lot. That is Sansom Park. There is only about 6.5-7 miles of trail, but it will be ALOT more climbing than pretty much anything in the metro area. If you can do 2 full laps there, you are in better shape than 95% of the riders there.

the most fun trail near you is Northshore. its probably 20-25 minutes from Alliance Airport. the entire loop is about 20 miles and it ranges from XC to pretty technical on the west side.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The closest bike shop to Aliance is Bonzai Cycle Werx. Brian is the owner and they do rentals. 817-886-4747

http://www.bonzaicyclewerx.com/bonzaicatalog.html

My favorite trail in the area is Marion Sampson Park. Check out the Fort Worth Mt Bike Association at:

http://fwmba.org/

Let me know when you get into town!

BBW
    mtbr member
    Knob hill is closed as far as I know... go to Sansom park and Northshore... you won't regret it

I'm Lazy.
    I think Northshore would be the best one for where you're located, length of trail, and your level of riding.

I have a video posted up on youtube of a liesure ride through the trail if you want to see what it's all about.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f55PfDbe8UY

mtbr member
    feel free to shoot me an email if you want a guide to ride any of those trails. i live 5 minutes from Alliance and I'd be happy to show you around Sansom, Northshore or Knob hill. The less technical half of Northshore is closed at the moment, so I would try out Sansom if I were you. my email address is my user name AT Gmail.com

youre probably a good deal faster than me but I could probably hang with you for a few miles and give you some general directions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    The less technical half of Northshore is closed at the moment, so I would try out Sansom if I were you.
    what are you talking about, it's been dry as a bone for a couple of weeks now. I missed
    out on a northshore ride last night but a couple of buddies road it. They said nothing of it
    being closed.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ACOE closed the East trail the west trail is still open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankie
    ACOE closed the East trail the west trail is still open.

So it is open west of the MADD shelter?
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yes, only the western portion of the trail is open

meh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu

Wow, can you say cluster-frack?
    Nobody cares...........

meh
    seriously

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    what are you talking about, it's been dry as a bone for a couple of weeks now. I missed
    out on a northshore ride last night but a couple of buddies road it. They said nothing of it
    being closed.
    supposedly an ACOE ranger spotted a mountain biker removing some kind of caution tape that was blocking some part of a side trail.... not sure where or what kind of tape this was. i was there on Sunday and saw no tape blocking anything. so who knows. doesnt seem like anyone really knows where this supposedly took place.

regardless, the east side is closed.

i am suffering through some really bad posion ivy i got on my arm from Sunday at Northshore. its been driving me nuts all week and is really getting disgusting looking right about now....

Members who have read this thread: 0