Best Ride within 1hr or so of Houston- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Best Ride within 1hr or so of Houston

Will be in the Houston area(friendswood) for the week of christmas. plan on bringing the bike and want to ride the best in the area. any suggestions? is there a local houston biking club?

mtbr member
    There is the Woodlands Cycling Club. Personally I like Huntsville State Park best.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natepac
    Will be in the Houston area(friendswood) for the week of christmas. plan on bringing the bike and want to ride the best in the area. any suggestions? is there a local houston biking club?
    Can't speak for all of them, so I'll leave that to someone who has rode more of the trails in the area, but you can use us to figure out what your options are in the area (click the link below and go to Texas Only/Trails Googlemap.
    Pedigre

Pedaler of dirt
    Here's a site and map listing almost everything for Texas.

http://www.mountainbiketx.com/google/tx_google.php

There's not much within an hour of Houston that's going to much better than the trails in town like Memorial or AntHills.

Now if you wanted to drive a bit further there's RockyHillRanch which used to be pretty good.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    jack brooks park in Hitchcock.probably only 30minutes away and fairly technical and fun.

about a 6 1/2 mile loop,few up and down hills,fairly tight singletrack.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by natepac

Check out GHORBA

Considerations:

Memorial Park and The Anthills, both within Houston.

Huntsville SP

Double Lake Rec Area

Rocky Hill Ranch, Smithville (ok it is a little more than an hour..)

Huntsville and Double Lake are fast singletrack. Rocky Hill Ranch is a fun ride, and where I would head.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Friendswood...Hit up Jack Brooks, Memorial Park, or The AntHills. Jack Brooks is closest and has some fun man-made stuff.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

I second the Jack Brooks suggestion. It is close to Friendswood and provides some of the better riding in the Houston area. For some variety, you could try Memorial or the Anthills, but I personally liked Jack Brooks a lot more than the other aforementioned riding destinations.

I grew up riding Memorial, but have lived in UT for the last 12 years (thank goodness). However, a few summers ago I moved back to Houston for an internship for 2 months. I rode Memorial a few times, but went to Jack Brooks most often, even though it was a longer drive for me than Memorial or the Anthills, because it had the best riding IMO.

Mike

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    duh - Montrose area is the shizzle

i am, therefore, i ride
    +1 on Jack Brooks Park..... you're already there, so close to Friendswood. Although I'd recommend Rocky Hill Ranch, it would be more than an hour drive from Friendswood.
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    just accept the fact that houston sucks and there is no mountain biking that is worth a **** there, or within an hour...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

much thanks

thanks for the info, sounds like i will start with jack brooks then if time allows will hit up the ranch.

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    another vote for jack brooks since you are on that part of town. If you go early in the morning watch out for the spiders. Google an image search "yellow orb spiders" and see what they look like.

Memorial and Anthills are good rides also. Its probably about 30-40 minutes from friendswood too.

Members who have read this thread: 0