Best Bike Shop in San Antonio- Mtbr.com

Jun 2006

Best Bike Shop in San Antonio

who's your favorite shop in S.A.?
    do ya like them cuz of their bikes, prices, service ect...
    i've been to a few and have mixed feelings bout 'em.

mtbr member
    SA shops...

I do most everything myself, so shops are a social place and where I go to get stuff to support the local economy.

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want to support an Indy, hell of a nice guy, and true LBS community/cycling advocate Reed from the Hub in New Braunfels is the man.

If I don't feel comfortable doing a job myself or need it done and I don't know how, hands down Dr. Carlos... no store front he runs it out of his house and travels, but when I think I'm a bike geek I talk to him and realize what a rank amature I really am. He's a great guy and know more than anyone I've met in my cycling career.

Where I go if I need stuff right away BW in Alamo Heights. sslos works there and is one hell of a guy. Jeff works there also and is a fellow Mojo. They score the majority of the business I would otherwise spend at an online retailer. Typically if they're within 20% from one of the online whore houses I'll suck it up and buy there because I want LBS to survive and they're down the street from one of my offices so it's convenient.

If I need road geek stuff Britton's. I hear Jimmy isn't the nicest guy below the surface, but he's alway been friendly to me and I know he'll work a deal and doesn't take it as a personal attack.

The last place finisher, mainly because they're the furthest away from me would be Bicycle Heaven. On occassion when visiting my mom I'll pop in there. They have a so so selection of stuff, good road stuff (moots dealer) and one of the few shops I know that carries Cross stuff. Their prices for the most part blow and they cater to the wanna be elite Stoned Oak crowd. They also consider themselves a "boutique" shop <snicker> and have lame hours.

That's Fat Bob's world. I'm sure there are tons of others that are good, but that's where my dollars flow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I haven't had any problems with Rideaway Bicycles or BW. The new BW on 1604 looks very promising.

There was a cool younger racer-type guy at Planet Bike that was very helpful in getting my old MTB restored to a rideable level.

New Revolution Cycles in Kyle is certainly worthy of mention, also.

Mike

GT Dirt Coalition
    Quote Originally Posted by lydoss
    There was a cool younger racer-type guy at Planet Bike that was very helpful in getting my old MTB restored to a rideable level.
    Mike
    I bought my c'dale from him. Good guy. I've used Britton's off 281 for some reasonable service on my old ride. Not much other experience...yet.

ouch
    Lmao.

mtbikeaz
    Feb 2004

C'dale repair in SA?

Any Fat Head experts to fix a head shock in the SA area? I'm new to town and the damn movers broke the lock-out and oil is leaking.

BTW also looking for any rides to get acquinted to SA and Boerne area.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikeaz
    Any Fat Head experts to fix a head shock in the SA area? I'm new to town and the damn movers broke the lock-out and oil is leaking.

BTW also looking for any rides to get acquinted to SA and Boerne area.
    try Bicycle Heaven, they are a Cannondale dealer. Matt and Tommy will take care of you for sure. Matt offers top knotch customer service, and Tommy is a very good wrench.

http://www.bicycle-heaven.com/

There is something going on at Flat Rock this weekend
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    This isn't in SA, but it was mentioned already so I'll +1 for New Revolution Cycles My LBS in SA didn't treat me as well as some of the other guys who have more cash to drop (poor college student), but James at NRC has given me great deals and service everytime.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Good job! The Bicycle Shack...

In Boerne off of IH 10; a Cannondale dealer; check with Bryan, a nice guy. Also organizes rides in the area.A+ Shop

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
    In Boerne off of IH 10; a Cannondale dealer; check with Bryan, a nice guy. Also organizes rides in the area.A+ Shop
    I didn't realize The Bicycle Shack was a Cannondale dealer.

I have met Bryan, good guy. I have not had any work done by him.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    I didn't realize The Bicycle Shack was a Cannondale dealer.

I have met Bryan, good guy. I have not had any work done by him.
    Hey look at that it is on his homepage.

http://www.thebicycleshack.com/

I ran into Bryan this weekend, he says that headshock stuff is no problem.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Nov 2006

... and if we just ...

New to the forum. Bicycle Heaven has done right by me so far. Branton was very helpful and seemed to know what he was talking about.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Man, why has no one mentioned Helotes Bicycle? It is the coolest place. Its in an old house built in the 1880's (lower floor is the shop). The place is overflowing (inside and out) with used and parts bikes. If there is a part you need for anything Hank can find it for you (he's done it for me). The place is total chaos and after you've had your fill of prissy, snobby, tarts and wankers in the other shops come down to Helotes and keep it real. Stock on hand may be limited but he can get it in fast and he will not overcharge you. If that isn't enough of a recommendation how about that he and his wife were some of the prime movers in making Government Canyon happen. Oh, and Floore's Country Store is right next door (literally) so you may get to park beside Willie Nelson's tour bus.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

I know i've already thrown up props for one shop...

But I just went to helotes bicycle the other day and picked up a swweeeeeeet '83 schwinn super le tour (sorry roadie content), and Hank was very much a pleasure to deal with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There's a shop in Helotes? How far is that from the burning multch pile? Where is it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Its on, I believe, Old Helotes Rd. Its easy to find. If you are driving on Bandera Rd just look for Floore's Country Store and Helotes Bicycle is right beside it in a old (1880s) white two story house. You can turn off of Bandera either on the road that runs beside Floore's or turn at the light where El Chaparral is. Either way take a left (if you are coming from San Antonio) and steer for what is right beside Floores. Roger Soler also has a store just across the street from Helotes Bicycle.

Members who have read this thread: 0