Beginners In Houston- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Beginners In Houston

Just wondering if there are any other newbs on here looking for a group ride or something. Ive only been biking on a regular basis for about a month or so now so my endurance isnt quit up to speed with alot of the other riders.
    I bought my bike intending on mostly trail riding but seems as if 90% of its life is on a paved trail.
    I typically ride evenings at Terry Hershey Park or an easy ride at the George Bush trail starting out near katy, usually about 5-10 miles each time.
    My friends who got me into riding for some reason have lost interest in it so now im flying solo , which also means no more late night rides, since the wife doesnt think Houston is a very safe place to ride alone at night.

Anyone interested ?

Wanderer
    Check out www.theanthills.com

Its the local Terry Hershey / George Bush Park biking forum.

mtbr member
    Not a beginner, but I'll be glad to meet you at the Anthills or Memorial Park.

Considering I typically ride a 38lb bike, it never bothers me to go slow since I usually do.

I ride alone 90% of the time, but always like company.

mtbr member
    Sounds Good !!
    maybe we can set up a weekly ride at the Anthills sometime

Mar 2008
    Im in south houston in Clear Lake. I just started riding not too long also, I mainly ride at Jack Brooks but I could go out to memorial.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmilitia101
    Im in south houston in Clear Lake. I just started riding not too long also, I mainly ride at Jack Brooks but I could go out to memorial.
    Ive never been on memorial but would like to sometime. I tend to try and ride the trails at the lower traffic times, and ive heard memorial is a pretty busy trail ?
    I have been craving a trip to Bluff Creek Creek Ranch again. I rode it about a year ago on a cheapo mongoose and havnt been back on my Trek yet. Its only a couple of hours away and well worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm moving back to houston in about a week an am looking forward to hitting some of my old trails. Is cypresswood still alive?

Obviously going to have to hit the others as well, ant hills/george bush, memorial, huntsville.

Thinking about *gasp* getting a road bike as well for some bayou riding. Question on that though, are the bayou trails paved?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdole
    I'm moving back to houston in about a week an am looking forward to hitting some of my old trails. Is cypresswood still alive?

Obviously going to have to hit the others as well, ant hills/george bush, memorial, huntsville.

Thinking about *gasp* getting a road bike as well for some bayou riding. Question on that though, are the bayou trails paved?
    From what ive read on here, the cypresswood trails are still being ridden. Thats yet another trail i havnt been on. Im only about 20 mins away from them also.

mtbr member
    Sounds like we need to put a group ride together.

Maybe anthills or memorial. Unfortunately, the weather is going to make things a bit tricky it looks like for the next few weeks. Might be a last minute call on memorial depending if open.

I will probably ride this weekend on Saturday afternoon (most likely the anthills considering the weather and between juggling birthday party's for my son...and I just shipped my primary bike and most of my gear to Utah for a vacation in a week).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The cypresswood trails were good, albeit kinda short, I think one loop was around 4 miles or so. So i guess just do it 2 or 3 times and it should be good.

mtbr member
    Cypresswood is alive and well. With new trails being added we have about a 10 mile ride. Even added some fun stuff. check out [email protected] for more info

mtbr member
    P.S. a group of us generally rides on Tuesday, Thursday and Sundays around 5:00 to 5:30 in the evenings during the summer

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey guitarscrub, I'm gonna be back out there and ready to ride in about 2 weeks. I'll be living in west houston but working near the intersection of Veterans and 1960, which means thats a great spot for afterwork. I'll have to hook up with you guy's yahoo group as it will be AWESOME to get back to the trails where I first learned how to mtn bike. Shoot its been 8 years since i've ridden there, that 10 mile loop sounds awesome.

mtbr member
    great, always room for more

see ya soon

mtbr member
    Man maybe I should meet up wwith you all ....I live on the corner of Louetta and kuykendahl ( I think thats how you spell it ) So I could ride there and back home .

mtbr member
    By the way to get to the cypresswood trail group the correct link is http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...oodtrailgroup/

Mar 2008
    I've been riding a couple of times a week for about a month now. I have the muscle tone of an invalid so I've been focusing on just getting stronger before I try the trails around town. I would like to try the trails with some other out of shape noobs so I wouldn't feel like I was holding everyone up. I live on the SW side in Missouri City. I have never been on a trail before.When could we do a noob ride in the anthills or memorial?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The bayou trails are not typically paved. You may find some short stretches that are paved for multi-use. I believe Bray's Bayou near the Med Center is paved. MTB or Cross bike and you can ride for miles, traffic free. Anthills/Terry Hershey has a paved path on the North side of the bayou.

mtbr member
    there is ride at cypresswood being planned for Friday morning July 4th at 9:00am to start at Collins Park by the skateboard park .

Jul 2008
    Not a beginner, but newb to mtbr.com. Finally got my account activated after some technical issues. Looking forward to meeting some fellow H-town riders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Where is the best place to park to get onto the Memorial park? Is this where the ho chi minh trails are?

mtbr member
    Park on the south side of memorial near the baseball & soccer field (west side of the parking lot).

mtbr member
    We are having a work party at Cypresswood Trails Saturday Aug 9th beg at 8:00am if anyone can make it that would be great. We will be doing maintenance, just trimming and clearing. We meet by the skateboard park at Collins Park (aka Cypresswood park).
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out

Members who have read this thread: 0