Barton Spgs Greenbelt ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Barton Spgs Greenbelt ?

I'm coming to Austin from Waco to meet someone who's visiting. We're planning on doing a bit of hiking in the BSGB. I ride so want to see what the trails are like & he doesn't. Where would be the best spot to start at & can you give directions? Not planning on doing anything strenous, just a look-see around.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Start at Zilker Park and walk west. The trail gets more difficult as you go. There is plenty of the main trail to keep you walking out and back for a day or more.

Here is a link to a map - http://www.texasoutside.com/bartongreenbelt.htm

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    There's a little bit better map linked here on the BCGB trail page, along with some photos and review.

Have fun!
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    I just moved to Austin temporarily for an internship. Got out to the Greenbelt today and started at Zilker. There are trails cutting off in every direction quite often and its confusing to stay on the main trail. I went on detours several times that dead ended or were unridable. Had to backtrack alot. Never made it to the end where the big hill supposedly is. I ended up getting into hike a bike along the creek about 7.5 to 8 miles in. Followed it for about 300 yds. and gave up as I needed to head back. All told with backtracks and what not, I did 18 miles out and back. I'll be back out tomorrow to try to learn my way around and hopefully get to the end tomorrow. Just saying to be prepared to get confused because it is not easy navigating in many areas. That being said, much of the trail is great riding. Lots of good drops and step ups. Plenty of technical lines to hit. Not really any extended climbing, mostly short bursts. The area back there is beautiful as well, particularly the waterfall that's way back in there.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I got to walk it a bit but not too far. Didn't wear proper shoes for walking on those rocks! Will def have to take a trip down one weekday morning with my bike. I've got rocks here (Cameron Park) but not chunky rocks like on t he GB.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    I just moved to Austin temporarily for an internship. Got out to the Greenbelt today and started at Zilker. There are trails cutting off in every direction quite often and its confusing to stay on the main trail. I went on detours several times that dead ended or were unridable. Had to backtrack alot. Never made it to the end where the big hill supposedly is. I ended up getting into hike a bike along the creek about 7.5 to 8 miles in. Followed it for about 300 yds. and gave up as I needed to head back. All told with backtracks and what not, I did 18 miles out and back. I'll be back out tomorrow to try to learn my way around and hopefully get to the end tomorrow. Just saying to be prepared to get confused because it is not easy navigating in many areas. That being said, much of the trail is great riding. Lots of good drops and step ups. Plenty of technical lines to hit. Not really any extended climbing, mostly short bursts. The area back there is beautiful as well, particularly the waterfall that's way back in there.
    If you made it to the waterfall you passed the hill of life. It can be easy to miss if you don't know what you are looking for, it's definitely not what I expected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts
    If you made it to the waterfall you passed the hill of life. It can be easy to miss if you don't know what you are looking for, it's definitely not what I expected.
    Thinking back on it, there is a hill towards that end that goes up to the right that might be it. It's hard to know since there are so many trails going off that dead end at parking lots or something. I did ride up one decent climb that came to a lot where a few cars were parked. Possibly Gaines TH? It was right under a big road, I guess MOPAC. The sign there said the next 2 miles of creek had been adopted by Hill Country Nudists. It would be interesting to meet that group on the trails.

Anyway, if anybody who knows the Austin trails a little better wouldn't mind showing me around, I'd much appreciate. Shoot me a pm or post up if so.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Thinking back on it, there is a hill towards that end that goes up to the right that might be it. It's hard to know since there are so many trails going off that dead end at parking lots or something. I did ride up one decent climb that came to a lot where a few cars were parked. Possibly Gaines TH? It was right under a big road, I guess MOPAC. The sign there said the next 2 miles of creek had been adopted by Hill Country Nudists. It would be interesting to meet that group on the trails.

Anyway, if anybody who knows the Austin trails a little better wouldn't mind showing me around, I'd much appreciate. Shoot me a pm or post up if so.
    Yeah, you will come out in a small clearing with a triangle of grass and the HOL cuts off to the right, not that far before the waterfall. It goes up a little ways then turns right out of sight, then continues to go on forever. You'll top off at a fence just off a residential street.

The climb you probably did was up to the 360 parking lot, but IDK for sure I have never gone that way.

I'd be down for showing you around but I don't know the GB that well. I know some routes but I'm still doing a lot of exploring. And I only get to ride about once a week.

You can check here for the route we did on Saturday. No HOL, but no shortage of climbing.

mtbr member
    Big Papa, shoot a PM or something when you are planning to ride and maybe I can catch up with you. I rode Emma Long today. It's still pretty muddy and I'd give it a day after rain next time but man what an awesome trail. I can tell I'll be spending a lot of time out there while I'm here. I love all those techy drops and climbs. I bailed on a lot I'd normally take on but it was wet, slick, and I was alone on the trails. No other cars. I can't wait to get out there in good conditions.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Big Papa, shoot a PM or something when you are planning to ride and maybe I can catch up with you. I rode Emma Long today. It's still pretty muddy and I'd give it a day after rain next time but man what an awesome trail. I can tell I'll be spending a lot of time out there while I'm here. I love all those techy drops and climbs. I bailed on a lot I'd normally take on but it was wet, slick, and I was alone on the trails. No other cars. I can't wait to get out there in good conditions.
    Not to sound like a Ridge Rider but riding in the mud out here is a big no no. CP might be the one place where it won't be noticed though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    In our ride he just posted, The Hill of Life is that green patch just to the right of Mile #9, it goes all the way up to Lost Creek Blvd. I guess if you felt like doing some repeats or just starting there, you can park on that street. Doesn't look to crazy on the internet, but that thing is a beast.

Members who have read this thread: 0