Barton Creek Greenbelt - Upper Luv Gluv Huck Video- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Barton Creek Greenbelt - Upper Luv Gluv Huck Video

I'm not a regular at BCGB, so I've never explored above the Quarry, glad I did today. Loads of lines to session with multiple lines to session.

https://youtu.be/lv4rBEons48

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hunrugger; 07-31-2016 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Haha, wrong video.

EAT MORE GRIME
    ha wow

found my first rattlesnake right there back in 1982

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Is there a way you could pin said quarry on google maps? I've been wanting to try out BCGB but it doesn't seem worth all the work of getting there for 2.6 miles. If theres extras that aren't on maps I'd love to check it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NothinSpecial View Post
    Is there a way you could pin said quarry on google maps? I've been wanting to try out BCGB but it doesn't seem worth all the work of getting there for 2.6 miles. If theres extras that aren't on maps I'd love to check it out.
    The green starting pin is actually "below" the video section. The green pin is the Quarry. Look at the area between the pin and the house up the hill - you can see some of the trails - this is the session area above the quarry - several lines, probably a dozen drops.

Not sure what 2.6 miles you refer to, BCGB probably has more than 50 miles of trail if you put everything together. It's definitely not easy to navigate - best to hook up with a regular local to learn. Lot's of trails definitely flow better in one direction rather than the other.

https://www.strava.com/segments/9820028

My last ride there - the picture is at the top above the quarry: https://www.strava.com/activities/660029678

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hunrugger, the quarry just refers to that sandy mesa with a handful of drops behind Travis Country correct? I'd like to follow you off a few of those drops some day as the drops are something I desire to do.

I rode there (if it's where I think it is) last Saturday and there are more trails than I could cover by a long shot. And since it all connects to everything else you could argue it's darn near never ending trails. It's a great spot with what I consider the most intense riding that I have discovered in the area. It's also fairly close to my home.

I'll probably head out again this Saturday morning. I haven't figured out the best way to access it so I just park in the Neighborhood of Travis Country and start riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    This is all I'm going off of. I just need to go with someone who knows the trails so I can learn them and see whats what. As with most trail systems theres a lot more to play on than the map shows.

I too would like to go follow someone off some drops, I've done a few that were probably 2'. I'm still working out this new bike, I came from a hardtail so all this really fun stuff is new.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That's the other side of the greenbelt from where I was thinking you were going. Sorry but all these names and stuff confuse the heck out of me.

That happens to be a much simpler trail IMO but it has great flow for a while going downwards.

If you are in North Austin just go South on 360 to the traffic signal called Scottish Woods/ Westbank and hang a right towards the GB. Park anywhere you can. Go where everyone else is going (end of the street, then turn right, then hop large metal railing.

That's the top of the Hill of Life. Riding down the Hill of Life a short ways (it's all descending) and where the main path kinks 90 degrees right, if you were to essentially head straight that is a trail called Dump Truck, named after the old broken down dump truck way back in there. It's pretty challenging and misses a bit of flow imo, but it still kicks butt.

If instead you follow the Hill of Life around the right curve, soon afterwards on the right there is a small trail. Follow that and it's pretty kick butt and it does a large loop. The only issue with that trail during the summer is it's a long climb back from the bottom. Once you do it 2x you'll be pretty beat. I'd say that one main loop of that takes 50 minutes.

There is a fun winding path (instead of straight up the Hill of Life) to get to the top but it's pretty brutal. That's the route I take and I rather enjoy it.

If you go down to the very bottom of the Hill of Life you are on the main trail with all of the swimmers and it can be pretty crowded.

Hopefully that helps ya out if I got that all correct.

I'm not big in to navigation, Strava, or even riding with other people. All messes up my zin. I find the best adventure it to just get on your bike and try to get good and lost. Just chase the gnarliest looking trail and you can't not have a good time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I need to go out earlier next time.. Got back to the truck around 230 and it was 109 with the heat index.

I was too focused on blasting down the main trail that I passed all the cutoffs except the one at the bottom. I now understand what you're talking about "Dump Truck" theres a few cutoffs to the right, which one makes that loop, the first one?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's the first main turn off on the right soon after the 90-degree turn. There is a smaller one that has a real steep Little Chute right off the bat but that's not it.

Last weekend I rode Saturday morning and had a great ride and was really strong. Today I was the exact opposite I was weak as a kitten right from the get-go, the heat was killing me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yea I was good for a bit then the heat got to me. I jumped in the water because I was flat out miserable (hopefully theres no more bad crap in there).

I'm taking this week off to recover for a comp next weekend then I'll go back and find that trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm officially renaming the 'Hill of Life' the 'Hill of Feces' because with all of the inconsiderate owners of unleashed pets that is exactly what it has become. Literally dog sh*t everywhere, quite impossible to avoid if you travel that trail.

I hope their dogs get rabies and attack their owners' genitalia. Yes, I'm pissed.