Austinite looking for Houston help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Austinite looking for Houston help

My girlfriend is attending a conference at the University of Houston towards the end of January. I've never been there, so we're going to make a weekend out of it. Looking for recommendations on local bars and restaurants near campus or downtown.

As far as riding goes, is it feasible to ride from the Antills to Memorial Park via surface streets? I've heard complaints that parts of Houston are not bike friendly.

Also looking for thoughts on both Salsa dealers in town, West End and Bikesport, in case my Spearfish needs some attention.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblur View Post
    My girlfriend is attending a conference at the University of Houston towards the end of January. I've never been there, so we're going to make a weekend out of it. Looking for recommendations on local bars and restaurants near campus or downtown.

As far as riding goes, is it feasible to ride from the Antills to Memorial Park via surface streets? I've heard complaints that parts of Houston are not bike friendly.

Also looking for thoughts on both Salsa dealers in town, West End and Bikesport, in case my Spearfish needs some attention.

Thanks!
    yeah you "can" ride from the anthills to memorial park via' briar forest to memorial drive just remember ALL parts of Houston are not bike friendly.

both west end and bikesport are quality dealers however west end is close to memorial park and downtown.

not knowing what kinda $ you wanna spend on food i can't be much help with dining and bars but plenty of em' in the downtown area

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the info HAL. Trying to keep it under $100 for dinner and drinks.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i'm not much help on restaurants in that part of town, sorry.

i would not recommend trying to ride from the anthills to memorial park. if i absolutely needed to do it, i would go to the I-10 frontage road, and ride on the sidewalks, and then ride down north post oak, maybe, to memorial? somebody help me out on how to get from I-10 to memorial...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    i would go to the I-10 frontage road, and ride on the sidewalks, and then ride down north post oak, maybe, to memorial? somebody help me out on how to get from I-10 to memorial...
    are you f*cking crazy I-10 frontage road???

You can easily ride from THP and the beltway 8 through the neighborhood starting with briar hill drive to sugar hill drive to briar brook to cedar creek then to briar park and finally briar forest then to memorial drive all the way to MP.

I live right off north post oak and memorial drive less than a mile from MP it is not that difficult of a ride from MP to the anthills we do it on our road bikes and go all the way out to Fry road and back.

For MTB you can ride in the bike lane then jump on the sidewalk right past gessner if your sketchy about cars and roll down memorial drive that way.

going from Austin to the Houston trails you are going to be disappointed with our local trails that you could easily ride on a cyclocross bike but nonetheless it is what it is…I strongly suggest you get out EARLY as to avoid the “Freds” and newbies that infest MP & the anthills on the weekend and get ready to shout out at any blind turn, climb or decent because I’ll bet a dollar to a doughnut you’ll have someone (jogger,dog walker,clueless biker, grumpy old geezer) with the deer in the headlight look on their face coming the other way if you don’t.

Anyway have fun here is a link to the MP trail system GHORBA > Trails > Memorial Park you can link the yellow to orange to blue for a decent loop but the green trails are the most challenging out there the triangle area between the feeder, memorial drive and woodway is OK and worth a look if you want to cover everything.

As far a downtown eating and bars Houston has a bunch of places right downtown and surrounding areas this should help Houston Restaurants | Best Houston Restaurants - Ratings & Reviews

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    are you crazy I-10 frontage road???
    I-10 frontage road SIDEWALKS, sorry for not being clearer. Greenblur, I-10 was recently widened, and ought to have a nice sidewalk the whole way. Whereas Memorial Drive, I'm not so sure. Mem Drive would be a lot more scenic.

mtbr member
    some great restaurants downtown - 17 at the Hotel Alden, The Grove near the Toyota center, Quattro, Vic and Anthony's Steakhouse. All of these are pricey but you should be able to get out for about $100 without buying a bottle of wine

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    MP to TAH is super easy, basically memorial drive to kuhlman to bleinhorn, head up piney point to gaylord, through the mall/hospital and down towards the connector trail under BW8
    Pretty low traffic and easy.

Youll be passing through "The Villages" and bikes are not permitted on roadways here by law (dont get me started) though I've not heard of anyone actually getting a ticket for being on the road.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the info about biking between parks. Sounds like more trouble than its worth; I'll just drop off the girl and drive.

I also appreciate the info on trail etiquette; we have similar problems with clueless pedestrians and leashless dogs Not too worried about the lack of technical riding. I'm actually looking forward to riding some smoother trails with a bit of flow. Sometimes Austin feels like nothing but rocks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by greenblur View Post
    Thanks for the info about biking between parks. Sounds like more trouble than its worth; I'll just drop off the girl and drive.

I also appreciate the info on trail etiquette; we have similar problems with clueless pedestrians and leashless dogs Not too worried about the lack of technical riding. I'm actually looking forward to riding some smoother trails with a bit of flow. Sometimes Austin feels like nothing but rocks!
    When you ride MP make sure you go to the triangle and ride it a few times...fraction of the traffic, lots of grade changes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ibiza, Reef, dolce vita, and indika are all great places to eat. You should try the Breakfast Club for breakfast. agree on triangle.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Close to UH --> Moon Tower Inn. Mandola's on Cullen and Leeland has above avg. Italian, good service, and good local beer selection from St.A. McAlisters on campus isn't bad. Subway in the law school is the worst Subway on the planet.

From Jan.-May I'll be at UH all day/evening on Mondays and Wednesdays. Holla.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Is moon tower open yet? Think the reopening is feb. Brewery and 42 taps...nice!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rafdog View Post
    Is moon tower open yet? Think the reopening is feb. Brewery and 42 taps...nice!
    Get outta here--42 taps??? Haven't been by there since before finals last semester, didn't know they closed.

Well hell Bill, you preach the gospel: Moon Tower Inn takes a break | Houston Restaurants | 29-95.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Headed out there this weekend but I understand you got some rain. My original plan was to ride the Anthills and Memorial Park Saturday morning.

I see that GHORBA has the Anthills listed as flooded. Sounds bad, what is the usual recovery time?

Also, I noticed that Memorial park is listed as under construction for the green trail; anyone know if the work is completed and if other trails in the park were affected by the rain?

If both of those are toast, I probably have enough time to travel about 1 hour in any direction. I'm in town for only one day and I don't want to waste the trip. Any other suggestions on trails that recover well? Jack Brooks sounds intriguing.

mtbr member
    Memorial will likely be rideable by Saturday afternoon

Wanderer
    Anthills are flooded. They will not be rideable this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bikesport is a great bike shop. I just bought a bike from them last week. They are quite helpful.

As for food and drink.....you cant beat the newly renovated Washington Ave. I've lived in that area for about 5 years now and it is reminiscent of 6th street in Austin.

My favorite bar is Petrol just north of 610 in Garden Oaks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I want to thank everyone for the help. I was able to ride MP and Jack Brooks Saturday. They were both a good change of pace compared to what I ride in Austin. You can tell a lot of work went into both trails.