Austin-vs-San Antonio riding??- Mtbr.com

Dec 2004

Austin-vs-San Antonio riding??

I may have a good chance to move to TX in the next few months. I've just got back from Austin, family holidays. I have a brother that just moved to Austin and I loved the area and temps, friendly people, lots of places to eat, and HEB. Every day I saw a mountain biker or roadie out on the road.
    I would be able to transfer from my job to San Antonio (don't want to lose my benefits and vaca time). But if I have to I think I would be able to find something in Austin, as I'm a pharmacy tech with years of experience in long term care.
    So my question. How does Austin and San Antonio differ/same riding wise (I'm both roadie and mountain bike) And any other insight you might offer about the two cities. I thank you all for any and all info!!

Livin' the Dream
    I went to school at UT Austin and I lived in SA for a summer. I think the road riding is going to be good in either city. Most of the area between Austin and SA and west is hilly and is great for road riding. Bad news is, all those awesome hills are privately owned. As for trails, I would have to lean towards the Austin area. I have to admit I didn't really ride any trails in the SA area, but the Austin trails were awesome, and several choices too.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Austin has more trails and more choices, much closer into the city. SA has great trails, but not as many and more difficult to get to, but that is because it is a much larger metro area.

My site has links to both austin and san antonio trails. http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Austin has more trails and more choices, much closer into the city. SA has great trails, but not as many and more difficult to get to, but that is because it is a much larger metro area.

My site has links to both austin and san antonio trails. http://www.austinbike.com
    Awesome site, thank you!

Dec 2004
    Thanks for the info. Great site!! My mind is made up!!

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    Is there even mountain biking in Austin and San Antonio? There aren't even mountains!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt22
    So my question. How does Austin and San Antonio differ/same riding wise (I'm both roadie and mountain bike) And any other insight you might offer about the two cities. I thank you all for any and all info!!
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike

Austin Bike sums it up pretty good. Austin has a more trail close. Some of which is world class techy singletrack.

San Antonio is no slouch, but you have to look a bit harder to find the good trails. And you may have to drive an hour (which BTW puts you in Austin on their trails).

The Austin cycling community is stronger I believe.

And lastly, you need to look at the cost of living. I believe that you will find SA to be cheaper....

Good luck and don't be a stranger.

aLaN in SA
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yes, SA will be cheaper than Austin and you might even find some better tex-mex there (or so I have been told....)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian3900
    Is there even mountain biking in Austin and San Antonio? There aren't even mountains!
    muHAHAHAHAhaaaa!

In Austin, there are hills. Steep hills. In your face hills.

With rocks. Big rocks. Loose, knock you off your line rocks. Everywhere (except Walnut).

And limestone steps. Big steps. Bang your chainring steps.

And trees. Limbs everywhere trees. Handlebar knocking trees.

And our trails make use of all of these challenges.

If you haven't ridden here, get ready for Mama Nature to hand you your a s s.

muHAHAHAHAhaaaa!

I like to watch...
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    muHAHAHAHAhaaaa!

In Austin, there are hills. Steep hills. In your face hills.

With rocks. Big rocks. Loose, knock you off your line rocks. Everywhere (except Walnut).

And limestone steps. Big steps. Bang your chainring steps.

And trees. Limbs everywhere trees. Handlebar knocking trees.

And our trails make use of all of these challenges.

If you haven't ridden here, get ready for Mama Nature to hand you your a s s.

muHAHAHAHAhaaaa!

I like to watch...
    Hahaha, hand me my ass? Do you even know what it's like to ride in El Paso/Las Cruces? It's not as easy as rolling around on moist dirt like in Austin.

mtbr member
    Moist dirt?!?

HAHAHAHAHhaaa!

Thanks for the laughs. You should come to Austin to ride so I can get in some more chuckles.

BTW - WTF does El Paso/Las Cruces have to do with a thread about a comparison between San Antonio
    and Austin?
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

amar la vida de dos niner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian3900
    Hahaha, hand me my ass? Do you even know what it's like to ride in El Paso/Las Cruces? It's not as easy as rolling around on moist dirt like in Austin.

Um, okay, so I'm not interested in participating in a pissing contest, but it's true that if you are picturing "moist dirt" for our trails, then you've gotten some bad information.

Did you check out AustinBike's website that he posted? That'll give you some visuals. But of course coming over and enjoying them is the best way to find out. We do have some awfully fun (and challenging) stuff.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Moist dirt?!?

HAHAHAHAHhaaa!

Thanks for the laughs. You should come to Austin to ride so I can get in some more chuckles.

BTW - WTF does El Paso/Las Cruces have to do with a thread about a comparison between San Antonio
    and Austin?
    "Hello Zed.....yeah....the spider caught a couple of flies"

Jul 2006
    To be exact the moist dirt is down here in Houston. If I could not make up my mind between Austin or San Antonio I would live in San Marcos. Its pretty close as a half way between both cities. Really anything is better than houston for riding most of the time.

Oct 2005
    WOW, Great site, i too am makeing the move,some time in the next year i will be selling my house in CT and moveing to the austin area. i was concerened about the rideing in the area but thanks to the links above i'm sure i have nothing to fear.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You have nothing to fear but fear itself. And the occasional endo.

Members who have read this thread: 0