Austin Trails and dogs

Printable View

• 10-17-2011
    TXDesertRacer
    Austin Trails and dogs
    Went to my first Austin ride yesterday at Walnut Creek. Very nice trails, but I'm ready to try BC next time. One thing I noticed between SA trails and Austin trails was the apparent lack of leashes? There were people with 3 or 4 dogs at a time on the trail without any leashes. How can one person control 3 dogs without leashes? We had to come up to a complete stop at pretty much every dog owner so they could round up their dog and get them out of the way.:rolleyes: Then crawl by because you never know if they'll decide to jump out in front of you. A few of them were disobedient and just kept walking down the trail without the owner. lol
    Anyways, does the leash law not apply to Austin Parks?
  • 10-17-2011
    kill phil
    It applies. It's just not really enforced. WC is a park more designed to accommodate both bikers and hikers (w/ dogs). BCGB back trails require quite a bit more knowledge, so you will rarely see hikers (especially w/ dogs). Main trail, that's another story....especially when we have creek flow.
  • 10-17-2011
    sooner518
    Walnut is a primarily off-leash park. i ride out there 2X a week and never have had any major problems. slow down, ride past. the dogs usually just look at me and stand to the side as I go by.....

as for BCGB, once you get past 360, you wont see many hikers/dogs. if you go on the back trails, you will almost never see anyone other than bikers.
  • 10-21-2011
    standamantx
    Same Issue in Houston. I dont mind the Dogs, I have 2 of my own, but it really grinds my gears when I hit a big steaming pile on the trail. Leash or no leash whatever, but pick up your dog S**T!!
  • 10-21-2011
    AlienSP
    At the Nut, anything north of the creek (even when it's not there) is off-leash. South of the creek is leashed, despite the on-leash required markers being removed by the dog crowd constantly. On the Greenbelt, I don't mind taking someones uncontrolled dog for a 3-4 mile hike without their owner. The panic in the owner is priceless.
  • 10-21-2011
    javi_10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by standamantx View Post
    Same Issue in Houston. I dont mind the Dogs, I have 2 of my own, but it really grinds my gears when I hit a big steaming pile on the trail. Leash or no leash whatever, but pick up your dog S**T!!

Like he said.
  • 10-29-2011
    jason333
    The only time I have ran into problems at Walnut is when someone has 2-3 dogs off leash and in a BAD spot. They can normally grab one, but the others may bark and chase / get under your bike (only small dogs so far).
    As a dog lover I tend to do everything I can to help. I have crashed a few times avoiding hurting the dogs.
    It's a pain in the ass...
  • 10-30-2011
    austin_bike
    Ping me sometime if you want to ride the greenbelt. I can show you where the dogs don't go.
  • 10-30-2011
    lost27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    Ping me sometime if you want to ride the greenbelt. I can show you where the dogs don't go.

Where are you posting your ride calls now-a-days? I've been wanting to do more social paced rides but Mojo doesn't seem to have any ride calls anymore.
  • 10-30-2011
    austin_bike
    Bill, I gave up posting ride calls because I was getting groups that were too large to deal with and I had to be responsible for people who got lost, ran out of water, you know the rest.

I ride the GB almost every weekend. Any time you want to go let me know. Probably going to be doing a road trip out of town for some riding next saturday, but if you want a good ride on sunday, just ping me and we can meet up. I am averaging about 18-20 miles these days, I'm down a bit from the 25 milers that we used to do. Nice finish on the buffet by the way.
  • 04-09-2012
    esgm1445
    Share the parks!
    Bikers and dogs can share the park

I live near Walnut Creek Park and have been going almost Dailey for 15 years. There didn’t used to be a lot of bikers, but we had our fair share of perverts. When the bikers started to show up, it really improved the park. For the most part they are very nice, and seemed to have some kind of code. They would call out which direction they were going to pass you on, call out how many were coming behind them.
    Walnut Creek is one of the best dog parks in Texas, and it is a leash free park. When I was there Saturday morning I can across an elderly lady sitting in the road cradling her frail senior dog. Someone on a bike hit the dog and never slowed down or stopped to see if she was OK.
    Come on people, you are supposed to be smarter than the dog. If it was a child or an old lady, would you also hit them and just keep going?
    There is a spot further up the creek that is a gathering place for dogs and children. Any given Saturday there will be 20 dogs, and 15 to 20 kids playing in the water. Bikers come through there at top speed.
    Really?? You can’t even slow down at this one spot? Would it really ruin your whole day to walk your bike past children?
    I want to repeat, most of the bikers in the park are extremely nice, polite, and civil. But I doubt the humanity of someone who could hit a frail dog and not even blink. These people are really making a bad image of Austin bikers. My suggestion would be to find the trails that are not so populated. There are many in Austin that requires dogs on leash. This is one spot where we can socialize our dogs so that they too can be good citizens.
  • 04-10-2012
    AlienSP
    Walnut attracts the most inexperienced bikers in Austin because it is so easy and accessible. The average rider who has a clue would slow down and avoid dogs, kids, pervs in the "hotspots" (i.e. the Main Creek Crossing). That being said, the dog owners have a responsibility to keep their dogs on leash on the neighborhood side. From Austin Parks "City Code allows dogs to be without a leash in designated areas, provided that each dog remains under immediate personal supervision and command. The code states, “Patrons shall not permit a pet or other animal to remain unattended or create a disturbance or a hazard.”'. When I see this ignored by the dog owner, my respect and consideration changes considerably.
  • 04-10-2012
    Adeptus_Minor
    As a dog owner, I don't mind being careful around hikers with their dogs.
    I make every attempt to pass carefully when I see dogs in the trail (attended or otherwise)... I announce my presence when necessary.
    However, I appreciate owners being responsible with their pets as well.
    Regardless of the exact letter of the law, the primary governing factor should always be responsibility and mutual respect.
    Who wants an injured dog or bicyclist on their conscience?
  • 04-12-2012
    BungSolo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
    As a dog owner, I don't mind being careful around hikers with their dogs.
    I make every attempt to pass carefully when I see dogs in the trail (attended or otherwise)... I announce my presence when necessary.
    However, I appreciate owners being responsible with their pets as well.
    Regardless of the exact letter of the law, the primary governing factor should always be responsibility and mutual respect.
    Who wants an injured dog or bicyclist on their conscience?

this for christsake. sick of one side or the other acting as though they have rights above and beyond others on the trail. these people always stand out when you come across them. everyone just needs to use common sense and be safe on a set of trails thats obviously busy quite often.