Austin Trails in danger of closure- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Austin Trails in danger of closure

That should get your attention!

There's an org called the BCP
    they have aquired about 30K acres in NW Austin, prime MTB land and have/are setting it aside as no access high fenced areas for the preservation of some endangered species.

Some of the land was purchased with bond money that was raised with sales to the public for the purpose of park lands then deeded over to the BCP who shut it down with zero scientific evidence to warrant the action. Some of it is exising open park lands that trails have existed for a long time and grandfathered in at existing use levels. We are very concerned that they will decide one day to close it off (and in fact are trying to do just that to a piece (Turkey Creek) used forever as an off leash dog park) Some of the land they have aquired was private property that trails have existed on for years that now is being closed off.

What we need help with:

Right now, the citizens advisory committee is accepting recommendations and feedback to proposed management changes. We need help getting a high volume of pro access submissions. We are not anti environmentalist whatsoever.. We just want fair access to our parks.

This is the first in the nation, a pilot program if you willl wherein they work with developers to allow them to develop x amount of land in exhange for x amount of land for preserve space. They plan to roll out more to other communities.. We have been trying to get these people to open their minds to the idea that we can work together.

Please visit this site and lend your voice

http://bcpcac.org/

thanks

May 2006
    What has happened with this?

Chilling out
    The wheels grind slowly ever onwards.

Nothing is as yet settled, there's more hearings to go yet between the BCP and the Citizen's Advisory Council, and other stuff.

No changes announced yet, nor intentions announced. Yet.

May 2006
    I live a stones throw from the Travis County Audobon Preserve off Lime Creek Road so I am very interested in this. Thanks.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Vote often be nice on the trail.
    Why do non-bikers hate bikes so much?

May 2006
    everybody should get the CENTEX guide to MTBing... the one with the skeleton on the cover... great stuff on how to be courteous on the trail... and all the creeds and stuff...

the reason that non-riders dont like bikes on the trails is because they dont have too... and because it has the potential to be VERY dangerous... but i have never had any problem missing non-riders... its other riders that I like to nail on dual direction courses...

its just part of it...

what trails are they trying to close?

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillburn119
    what trails are they trying to close?
    They can potentially close the Barton Creek Greenbelt and City Park to mountain bikers under the stipulation that use levels have risen. These trails were allowed continued use grandfathered in at existing use levels of 1996.

D

Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    They can potentially close the Barton Creek Greenbelt and City Park to mountain bikers under the stipulation that use levels have risen. These trails were allowed continued use grandfathered in at existing use levels of 1996.

D

HEADS WILL FREAKING ROLL!!!!!!!

What "levels" are you talking about, water levels during the fall???? I have lived right on the Barton Creek greenbelt (barton skyway entrance) for four years now. The only times I have seen it "close" is when it starts to flood. Besides does it really close??? That little fience never stopped me from going in when it was "closed"

If somting like this actually happens, watch the evening news for MTBers evading a bike cop down the green belt. Now that would be funny!!!!

Please email me if you need any support with this project!
    Last edited by Greebler; 07-06-2006 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Greebler
    What "levels" are you talking about, water levels during the fall????
    Use levels = number of riders

Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wumpus
    Use levels = number of riders

Ahhhh, not what I was assuming. Still honestly, if you were to walk the GB at say 4-6pm its not like its congested. You see one bike every 3-5 min, which isn't that bad. If there is a PROBLEM with anything, its the fact that people don't make way for bikers. It is so annoying to have to stop and wait for people to realize they are in the way. I should mount a horn to my bike or one of those sound effect box things we had when we were kids. Let them feel a little death ray action! =P

Unfortantly this sounds like an issue of representation, in which MTBs have little to none. I swear if fa#kin Lance hopped on the trail every now and then they would make it an official biking trail.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Mountain bikers like Greebler are the reason to worry about closure. The quasi-government groups like the BCP have historically closed mountain bike trails with no recourse. If their patrols...or even the friends of the Balcones Canyonland...catch someone riding an off limits trail, that will only give them more reason to exclude biking in other areas that we can currently access.

Be smart; don't be a jerk.

D

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Wow, Greebler... I thought you were joking at first but then I realized you're for real! I don't even know what to say... please lay off the trail when it's closed... please slow down, say excuse me and thank you to the hikers. Think about if that old couple wobbling down the trail were your parents or grandparents, and some ******** on his mtb scared them off the trail blasting by.

How could you be so clueless? A bike every 3-5 minutes in 1996 would have been unheard of. Honestly, another bike every 3-5 days was more like it back then... there was dirt on the trail, water in the creek aahhh those were the days

Jun 2006
    Easy now guys!!!!

1- I don't ride my MTB on the trails that are closed. If I am on a closed trail, it is at night and doesn't include my bike. NEVER EVER

2 - I always ride with consideration to others; I don't cut people off or do anything remotely rude. I am overly nice and usually just go ahead and stop vs. scaring people with a fly-by.

3 - I treat the trails as if they were my own. This includes being nice, picking up trash, and fixing anything I can.

4 - I don't ride on the trails marked "no bikes"

5 - FACT - trail walkers are less educated on trail etiquette than the average MTBer, that was the main inefficacious from my previous statements

6 - There is a difference between the thoughts in your head and what you actually do in reality. Rent American Psyco or somthing similar, you will get the idea....

Easy now guys, I was just being sarcastic!! Just posing a little humor into the forum. Come on dburatti , you have to have some sense of humor in ya. Hopefully... I know we all want to be some rock hard mountain man, but you have to smile now and then...

"Be smart; don't be a jerk."
    Last edited by Greebler; 07-13-2006 at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Cool, I was hoping that was the case!

Carry on with your Greenbelt Evangelizing then.

Members who have read this thread: 0