Austin Trails for beginner?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Austin Trails for beginner?

Hi I'm going down to Austin with my GF for labor day weekend.

What are some good 5-10 mile trails for a beginner rider like her?

She is comfortable riding on the road but has never mountain biked before. She has a new deore level 30lb 29er.

I want to make sure I don't take her on anything too gnarly, hilly, or rocky for her first time out. Some buffed out single track would be great

Thanks!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Walnut creek is good one but definitely contains slightly more difficult than beginner trails as well. Tons of trails, and unless it's wet most is very reasonable and smooth singletrack. Not really any straight line trail but there's so many options you can easily create a 5 - 10 mile ride. It's better marked now, but still easy to get lost your fist few times.

Circle C park has an extremely easy gravel / dirt bike path.

Slaughter creek trail is right nearby circle c park, and is an easy ~3 mile loop.

Barton creek is more difficult, but it's easy to walk the technical sections. Most of the trail is decent but rocky singletrack.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Walnut creek is good one but definitely contains slightly more difficult than beginner trails as well. Tons of trails, and unless it's wet most is very reasonable and smooth singletrack. Not really any straight line trail but there's so many options you can easily create a 5 - 10 mile ride. It's better marked now, but still easy to get lost your fist few times.

Circle C park has an extremely easy gravel / dirt bike path.

Slaughter creek trail is right nearby circle c park, and is an easy ~3 mile loop.

Barton creek is more difficult, but it's easy to walk the technical sections. Most of the trail is decent but rocky singletrack.
    Thanks

Hey I saw you in the CB forum too Guess you're from Austin but travel up there?

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    Thanks

Hey I saw you in the CB forum too Guess you're from Austin but travel up there?
    Yeah, I'm originally from CB, live in Austin now, and my family has been able to keep a house there so I try to spend as much time there as possible.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I second the recommendation for Slaughter Creek. I took my sister there (a beginner) and she loved it. The only downside is a lack of cover in the summer heat--Walnut Creek might be better if it's hot and sunny.

Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    Hi I'm going down to Austin with my GF for labor day weekend.

What are some good 5-10 mile trails for a beginner rider like her?

She is comfortable riding on the road but has never mountain biked before. She has a new deore level 30lb 29er.

I want to make sure I don't take her on anything too gnarly, hilly, or rocky for her first time out. Some buffed out single track would be great

Thanks!

mtbr member
    A bit north of Austin, the Williamson County Southwest Regional Park - 90% of the trail there is super easy. The singletrack is not signed, but it's not a huge spiderweb of trail either.

St Edwards is pretty easy if you stick to the trails along the creek and don't cross the creek to the big climb and more technical trails. Only a few miles so, you'd you need to noodle around and repeat some spots to get more.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It's too bad that it looks like slaughter creek will be closed all weekend due to muddy conditions.

Maybe we'll check out St Edwards tomorrow

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Reimer's Ranch

Reimer's Ranch has a 'green' or easy loop that is pretty flat and smooth. I think the loop is 3.someodd miles and 2 laps around that usually satisfies my young riders (also intro level). Call out there to make sure they're open (they should be). Park entrance is like $10 for the day. KS

mtbr member
    May 2007
    all right pretty good weekend

the report:

Circle C ranch has a nice gravel path that's good for a warmup. Then you can ride next to the road (off road single track) over to Slaughter Creek trail but that was closed so we rode back.

Walnut Creek was good, but pretty easy to get lose even following signage and it can get pretty sloppy in spots. More intermediate than beginner.

Then St. Edwards was pretty terrible MTB trail but was only 2-3 miles of trail so ok to walk the bike a lot. Very overgrown and lots of water crossing / wet unrideable areas. Had a good time but not a great trail

Then Muleshoe Bend LCRA trail was the best. About a 6 mile trail with up to 8? with extra trail options. A couple spots that were hard but in general a very well maintained trail. Great beginner-intermediate loop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I hope you had a good trip. Best beginner trails in austin are Walnut and SATN South austin Trail network, which is not mapped.

85 percent of walnut is beginner trails, but super fun even for an expert that is a fast rider. Boring is you are a slow "expert" and enjoy "the struggle" of austin.

My best advise for exploring SaTN is to do a tuesday night group ride from bikemojo.com or park at circle c metro park and ride east under escarpment(through the drainage).

Slaughter sucks.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    For someone who has never rode, Slaughter Creek is ANYTHING but easy. Sheesh----a LOT of rock. I have been riding for years and I even take a loop to become reacquainted out there. Lap 2 is always much faster. Closer to 5 miles than 3 too.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Mostly buff singletrack would be Dana Peak up north of the Austin area near Ft Hood.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So, can you ride to Slaughter Creek from Circle C area? It sounds like Circle C is just a bike path. Is that correct? Looking for single track that isn't too technical that I could ride from Circle C area. And what is the closest bike shop to rent a mountain bike from Circle C area. Staying in a house for 9 days in that area in mid June.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Access to Circle C means access to the south Austin trail network (SATN),which includes Slaughter Creek. SATN includes ~50 miles of trail, if you know what you're doing, a lot of which can be described as easy and intermediate.

Unfortunately some of the users are adamant that the trails not be marked, and I can see their point, but this limits usability to new users.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Glad to have found this and I have enjoyed reading about so many places close to my front door.. I'm just starting back into MBing. I live on the road to Pace Bend Park. I used to live just outside of Muleshoe Bend in the 90's, when I was last riding. I rode down to that park a few times but it didn't have much to offer for trails back then. Glad to see they have developed Muleshoe further. I'm also not that far away from Reimers and Pedernales Falls, so I will probably check them out as well. Now I just need to get these legs going again, enough to enjoy these nearby places.

mtbr member
    A 2nd vote for WILCO

Itís a good place for tires touching dirt and rock for the first time.

Itís a god place for getting the feel of riding mild tech without having to worry about too much speed

Good for all ages