Austin Trails after rain?

Printable View

  • 12-14-2005
    CharacterZero
    Austin Trails after rain?
    Hello-
    Looking out my window, I know it is going to rain here very soon- which trails here in Austin drain the best for after rain?
    I know that McKenny Falls SP can be closed due to rain, and I rode Walnut Creek last weekend. Walnut Creek seems hardpack enough that rain would not affect it's ridability- it that a reasonable assumption?
    Can anyone please shed some light - the trails here seem to be more soil than dirt, so drainage (indirectly proportional to damage factor) seems better here. I really want to avoid messing up any of our beautiful trails, so any guidance is appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.
  • 12-14-2005
    hallin222
    I'm only writing in to 'subscribe' to this thread. I'd like to know too. I wouldn't try riding City Park after a rain due to the rocks. That's asking for a wreck. I planned on going out to Wlanut Creek for the first time this weekend and hope it stays relatively dry.

    Ian
    deeep SW Austin
  • 12-15-2005
    baratta930
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Hello-
    Looking out my window, I know it is going to rain here very soon- which trails here in Austin drain the best for after rain?
    I know that McKenny Falls SP can be closed due to rain, and I rode Walnut Creek last weekend. Walnut Creek seems hardpack enough that rain would not affect it's ridability- it that a reasonable assumption?
    Can anyone please shed some light - the trails here seem to be more soil than dirt, so drainage (indirectly proportional to damage factor) seems better here. I really want to avoid messing up any of our beautiful trails, so any guidance is appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.

    Muleshoe drains pretty quickly, you can ride it fairly soon after a normal rain. Barton Creek is usually closed after even modest rains. Walnut is mostly ok.

    Hope this helps ...

    Berardino
  • 12-16-2005
    PAINpusher
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by baratta930
    Muleshoe drains pretty quickly, you can ride it fairly soon after a normal rain. Barton Creek is usually closed after even modest rains. Walnut is mostly ok.

    Hope this helps ...

    Berardino

    BUT...If you get stuck at Muleshoe DURING a rainstorm, forget about it, near the entrance and near the end of the loop the clay gets so tacky, you'll be lucky if you can push out. Major bummer.
    -Pusher
  • 12-16-2005
    trailbrain
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Hello-
    Looking out my window, I know it is going to rain here very soon- which trails here in Austin drain the best for after rain?
    I know that McKenny Falls SP can be closed due to rain, and I rode Walnut Creek last weekend. Walnut Creek seems hardpack enough that rain would not affect it's ridability- it that a reasonable assumption?
    Can anyone please shed some light - the trails here seem to be more soil than dirt, so drainage (indirectly proportional to damage factor) seems better here. I really want to avoid messing up any of our beautiful trails, so any guidance is appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.

    I wouldn't assume that about Walnut Creek. After a rain many areas of that hard pack dirt turn muddy. There are areas that you can ride in with less mud, but I generally stay off it right after a good rain and give it some time to dry. Also, kind of depends on how sunny and hot it is. Hope that helps.
  • 12-16-2005
    trailbrain
    Forgot to add I've ridden Barton Creek that day after a heavy rain and it seemed fine. Guess it kind of depends on how much rain there is as to whether or not its closed. They have a hotline number.

    http://www.austinridgeriders.com/trails.htm#bartoncreek

    I second that Muleshoe dries up quickly.
  • 12-16-2005
    baratta930
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    BUT...If you get stuck at Muleshoe DURING a rainstorm, forget about it, near the entrance and near the end of the loop the clay gets so tacky, you'll be lucky if you can push out. Major bummer.
    -Pusher

    Ah the memories. I had my shoe sucked off my foot one time there :)

    Berardino
  • 12-26-2005
    texas
    city park, or St Eds.
    After it rains seems like you need some hills to allow the water to drain. So a couple of days after it rains city park is usually good. There are a couple of places that tend to be wet, but for the most part its good.

    The Greenbelt can be okay after a rain except in the spring the creek becomes hard to cross so you have to pick a route that eliminates or reduces creek crossings. This is okay if you know those routes,if not could be a problem.
  • 01-07-2006
    dburatti
    Here' my take on the local trails after rain:

    Walnut CreekDepending on how much rain we've had in the past (none lately,) I wouldn't ride WC after rain. I got caught riding there when it started raining and had to make it back to the truck in the rain. At first it was reeeeeaaalllly slick. And then it started to xake up a bit. FOrtunately, I was back in the lot by then. I occasionally ride there and see ruts from morons who do ride WC when it's wet.

    City Park
    Because it's mostly rock, CP can be ridden quite soon after it rains. We've done a lot of work out there to improve drainage to keep water off the trail and help it dry more quickly.

    Barton Creek GB
    Call the hot line to see if the trail is open. The update it daily when there's any doubt. The rocks can get really slick and stay that way for a few days after a rain, especially in the shadows of the south back of the creek.

    Mueshoe Bend
    The first section of Muleshoe sucks when it's wet. It cakes up worse than anything. The lower setcions supposedly drain better.

    Goodwater Trail at Lake Georgetown
    This trail is similar to the Greenbelt in that it has imbedded limestone, which can be very slick, and WC, since it has that Blackland Prairie soil that cakes up when wet. The two in combination do not make for a fun ride.

    D
  • 01-08-2006
    CharacterZero
    not very handy lately...
    Thanks a bunch guys, I cannot imagine a more comprehensive description of the local trails than was just posted. Nice work, and thanks again.
    Just got back from Walnut and it was a good time. I guess I will have to bookmark this message for the next time it rains...
  • 01-13-2006
    Twin Parks Pro
    Our trails at Twin Parks are PERFECT after it rains. The XC trails are still being worked on, but our dh and 4x run off so well that the trails are actually better after we get a rain. If you haven't been here yet, the first time's free. You can get directions and more info at www.twinparkscountryclub.com.
  • 01-13-2006
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Twin Parks Pro
    Our trails at Twin Parks are PERFECT after it rains. The XC trails are still being worked on, but our dh and 4x run off so well that the trails are actually better after we get a rain. If you haven't been here yet, the first time's free. You can get directions and more info at www.twinparkscountryclub.com.

    Very cool - please get some pics up (at least). I would be willing to come out and spend a day - 5 mi of xc is loopable, right? And does the DH course shuttle?
    You guys should work on publicity as your site/park comes together, as I had not heard of this one!
    I assume it is open already, let me know if not, as I might hype it with some riding buddies.
  • 01-13-2006
    Twin Parks Pro
    If you look hard enough, there's enough XC to keep you busy for a little while. Unfortunetely, unlike the gravity tracks, we do not have a dedicated person or team to work on the XC trails yet. We had a guy, but he flaked. I had several pictures that I took, but before I could get them on the site, the trails were changed. Upon finalization of the trails, I will have pics and trail maps posted.
    Yes, we are open 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We just began our second year of business. Until now, all of our money and resources has gone into building the club and its many facets and ammenities. We have had to rely on word of mouth pretty much up to this point. This year we expect to be doing a lot more marketing.
    The best thing I can suggest at this point is to just come on out and check the place out yourself. It doesn't cost you anything the first time, so there's really nothing to lose. If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to contact me, Corey, at 512-858-2924, or by e-mail at [email protected]. Thanks, and I hope to see you out here soon.