austin trails- Mtbr.com

Thread: austin trails

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

austin trails

I'm tired of waiting for these DFW trails to open. My dad and I are thinking of spending next weekend in Austin. How are the trail conditions in the area and what trail systems are recommended for medium level riders in or around Austin?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The whole Brushy Creek network is good to go. It's really one of the better places to go anyways for intermediate riders. A wide range of difficulty for most riders. Very emblematic of what constitutes Central Texas riding. Rocks, a little dirt, more rocks and square edges limestone drops followed by more rocks. It's a great place to progress your skill set. Make sure you hit Dave's Ditch, there's nothing else like it within 400 miles.

Park by the skate park and take the path next to the soccer field to the hike and bike and go right. Directly after the bridge in front of you, take a left on the trail. This is Mulligan. A great warm up for the rest of the trails. Tight and twisty low speed singletrack with a huge chute at the end. It looks much worse than it is. Take a left back on the hike and bike trail. Go about a quarter mile down until it starts to open up to a big field on the left. Look for a trail leading off to the right. That's Picnic. It's a loop that has a few drops. The first one you will come to is called Basket drop. it's about 4 feet and is rollable. If you don't want to take it, there is a bypass about a hundred yards back on the right that will take you to the base of it. Follow the path around until it turns around. Don't take the branch to your right directly after the drop into the ravine. That takes you to the middle of Deception. For your first time, you need to ride all of deception. After a little while, you will go across the field and back towards basket drop. Before you get there, you should look for the two drops on your left. Neither of these are rollable. You will need to huck them. The first one is about 4 feet and the second is around five feet. They are well made and have good rollouts. Not hucks to flat. Easily done by an intermediate rider.

After you get done with Picnic, directly across the paved path from Picnic is a little connector trail called Barn for what will be obvious very soon. At the end of barn, take a quick jog left then right and this is the proper beginning to Deception. It starts out as 3 1/2 miles of fast and flowy Xc style of riding and then changes to something a little more difficult with hills, drops and some features a little more challenging than the beginning. The next 3 1/2 miles is a different beast. Don't be afraid to walk what you can't ride, I do it all the time and this is my home trail. At the end of deception, you will be on a double track jeep trail. Take a right to get back to the hike and bike. The sports park where you parked is to the right a few miles and there is more to the left. Where the jeep track meets the hike and bike there is an s shaped bridge, take the trail next to it to the left and go a bit to the next bridge. Directly after that bridge is a trail to the left going up the hill. Take it and look for a trail a little ways up to the right. That's Rim Job. It's a mile or two long and connects to Dave's Ditch at the top of the hill. Good climbing here. Don't worry about the puddles, ride through. Dave's Ditch is a freaking blast at high speed. Nothing like it anywhere near here. It's a long downhill run through a natural drainage ditch. It lets you out on the main trail right next to 183A. Take a right to get back to the skate park.

There's more trails than this at Brushy Creek, but that should keep you busy for 3-4 hours.

Walnut Creek is rideable also with some wet spots, but is in the middle of some construction and has some popular features plowed through and flattened. Worth a ride, but has had the character of the place changed due to construction closures and access routes for heavy equipment. City Park should be left alone until the weekend as the recent floods have changed the way the place dries out. Normally it is ready the quickest after rains, but the saturation has played havoc with the local aquifer and springs. The Greenbelt is alright but should be ridden with a guide if you don't know your way around the 40-50 miles of trails here. It's easy to get lost or ride a bunch of wackness and miss all the killer stuff.

mtbr member
    what he said. Ride Brushy. Deception is the longest single trail.

Barton Creek Greenbelt would be good if you can find a guide. but it will be a pain to cross the creek. guessing the water is super deep still

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thank you both for the feedback, especially the play-by-play on Brushy Creek.

An idea last night might put a hitch on Austin. We are also looking at Murray state park in OK. Either way we will do both places this summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Is this a destination trail trip? Where will you be staying?

Walnut creek is too confusing with all of the trails closed right now.
    BCGB is too wet and water is too high to enjoy as a newcomer between 290 and zilker. Its okay on the 360 side, In fact I am going to go ride it at lunch.

A small group of Family and I are going to do Reveille Peak Ranch in late August with a night of camping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I don't know if there's much else out West besides Pace Bend Park but I've rode there a few times and liked it.

Reveille is fun as well, I've only been once but I'd strongly suggest running tubeless or bringing a few spare tubes. My tires were riddled with sticker burrs at the end of the day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Out west in the immediate Austin area besides Pace Bend is Muleshoe, Reimer's Ranch and Pedernales SP. On certain dates, Flat Creek is open and it links up to Reimer's as the properties are adjacent. Do check first as it is private property and subject to limited hours open. Also a bit closer to town is Lakeway with the most continuous climbing in the central Texas area.

Here's a great resource for the central Texas trails.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    The whole Brushy Creek network is good to go. It's really one of the better places to go anyways for intermediate riders. A wide range of difficulty for most riders. Very emblematic of what constitutes Central Texas riding. Rocks, a little dirt, more rocks and square edges limestone drops followed by more rocks. It's a great place to progress your skill set. Make sure you hit Dave's Ditch, there's nothing else like it within 400 miles.

Park by the skate park and take the path next to the soccer field to the hike and bike and go right. Directly after the bridge in front of you, take a left on the trail. This is Mulligan. A great warm up for the rest of the trails. Tight and twisty low speed singletrack with a huge chute at the end. It looks much worse than it is. Take a left back on the hike and bike trail. Go about a quarter mile down until it starts to open up to a big field on the left. Look for a trail leading off to the right. That's Picnic. It's a loop that has a few drops. The first one you will come to is called Basket drop. it's about 4 feet and is rollable. If you don't want to take it, there is a bypass about a hundred yards back on the right that will take you to the base of it. Follow the path around until it turns around. Don't take the branch to your right directly after the drop into the ravine. That takes you to the middle of Deception. For your first time, you need to ride all of deception. After a little while, you will go across the field and back towards basket drop. Before you get there, you should look for the two drops on your left. Neither of these are rollable. You will need to huck them. The first one is about 4 feet and the second is around five feet. They are well made and have good rollouts. Not hucks to flat. Easily done by an intermediate rider.

After you get done with Picnic, directly across the paved path from Picnic is a little connector trail called Barn for what will be obvious very soon. At the end of barn, take a quick jog left then right and this is the proper beginning to Deception. It starts out as 3 1/2 miles of fast and flowy Xc style of riding and then changes to something a little more difficult with hills, drops and some features a little more challenging than the beginning. The next 3 1/2 miles is a different beast. Don't be afraid to walk what you can't ride, I do it all the time and this is my home trail. At the end of deception, you will be on a double track jeep trail. Take a right to get back to the hike and bike. The sports park where you parked is to the right a few miles and there is more to the left. Where the jeep track meets the hike and bike there is an s shaped bridge, take the trail next to it to the left and go a bit to the next bridge. Directly after that bridge is a trail to the left going up the hill. Take it and look for a trail a little ways up to the right. That's Rim Job. It's a mile or two long and connects to Dave's Ditch at the top of the hill. Good climbing here. Don't worry about the puddles, ride through. Dave's Ditch is a freaking blast at high speed. Nothing like it anywhere near here. It's a long downhill run through a natural drainage ditch. It lets you out on the main trail right next to 183A. Take a right to get back to the skate park.

There's more trails than this at Brushy Creek, but that should keep you busy for 3-4 hours.

Walnut Creek is rideable also with some wet spots, but is in the middle of some construction and has some popular features plowed through and flattened. Worth a ride, but has had the character of the place changed due to construction closures and access routes for heavy equipment. City Park should be left alone until the weekend as the recent floods have changed the way the place dries out. Normally it is ready the quickest after rains, but the saturation has played havoc with the local aquifer and springs. The Greenbelt is alright but should be ridden with a guide if you don't know your way around the 40-50 miles of trails here. It's easy to get lost or ride a bunch of wackness and miss all the killer stuff.
    Awesome detail !!! Is there a map of this trail ? I would like to hit this trail late tomorrow and would like to complete it before sundown if possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here's the website of the trailbuilders. There's maps on there, but they are kind of rudimentary since the county isn't really helping out on that front. You can easily do all of deception. picnic and mulligan in two to three hours. Four if you are smart and don't haul ass and conserve energy in this heat. Bring more water than you will need.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    Yes, in my opinion that is the best place to start. If you are going to come down, ping me, I work from home and often have a flexible work life so I can ride most of the time.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com