Austin Trails 29er or 27.5er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2020

Austin Trails 29er or 27.5er?

Hi everyone, looking into potentially purchasing a new frame in the near future.

I've only ridden my 29er trail bike here since moving last year and appreciate the roll over capability on some of the chunk. I am wondering if the acceleration and cornering advantages of the 27.5er are worth it for the area at the loss of roll over capability.

I mainly ride brushy creek and also ride walnut and RPR when I find the time.

I'm still leaning towards 29er as that's what I am used to since moving here but wanted to hear anyone's thoughts that may differ.

What are your experiences?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by leejohnh22 View Post
    Hi everyone, looking into potentially purchasing a new frame in the near future.

I've only ridden my 29er trail bike here since moving last year and appreciate the roll over capability on some of the chunk. I am wondering if the acceleration and cornering advantages of the 27.5er are worth it for the area at the loss of roll over capability.

I mainly ride brushy creek and also ride walnut and RPR when I find the time.

I'm still leaning towards 29er as that's what I am used to since moving here but wanted to hear anyone's thoughts that may differ.

What are your experiences?
    I have both bikes here in Austin. To be honest 29 is better for Brushy and RPR. But, I have more fun on my 27 bikes. I think itís kind of the stereotypical story - 29 is better for rollover in uneven terrain but 27 is a bit more nimble. If we lived some where with smooth trails it would closer, but we really donít have any smooth trails around here.

So pick your poison. Rollover or agility.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Also consider your personal overall size.

To me the best way to compare MTB tire sizes to an MXer anyways, is that 29ers are like 4 strokes and 27.5s are like 2 strokes. 1 is slightly faster but more business like, where-as the other one is just more fun and helps you feel like you are shredding harder.
    Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    I'm 5'9" so in between all kinds of sizes

I suppose in the end I'll have to demo a 27.5er myself!

mtbr member
    it might be a while before this returns to normal, but Peddler has demos from time to time. there's a trailhead (Suburban Ninja trail?) right next to the shop where you can test ride bikes if they have a bike that you're allowed to get dirty there. that would be the best way for you to try both.

my opinion about bikes is useless because I've only ever ridden 29er hardtails. when you talk about 27.5 bikes, I assume you're talking about full suspension?

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Right I'm talking about full suspension, short travel 29er (115mm-120mm) vs short travel 27.5er (130mm-135mm)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you're not planning to get Rowdy and ride the emerging big-jump sections, then a 29er is the way to go. We've got so many rocks and exposed roots in austin that you will want something that rolls over things instead of hanging up. Something like a Ripley or Trail 429 seems to me like the sweet spot for a majority of trails around. I put a 140 fork on mine just to feel better about City Park, but I don't really need it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I have found this to be an interesting question, mostly because my riding buddies (brother and great friend) have 27.5 bikes (travel 140/130 and 150/140) and I ride a 29er (130/130). We tend to have speed in different areas and it is noticable. When its more "open" with less tight changes of direction the 29er can really shine - almost regardless of the roots and rocks and ruts. But when we start getting into tight, quick changes of direction, with berms and switchbacks - the smaller wheel bikes really shine. I can really struggle to get my bike in and out of the punchy, tight turns compared to their bikes.

The fun factor is a little different as well when we switch bikes back and forth. The nimble quickness of the 27.5s really does make certain terrain more "fun". At times hustling a longer, bigger wheel bike through repeated tight twisty stuff can feel like more work - and then when I get into more open sweeping terrain the fun factor comes back into play. This may be more me as well though because I tend to gravitate towards faster, more sweeping trails vs tight and technical.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Has anyone tried a mullet setup for a good amount of time on the local trails?

I understand a mullet setup would not suit every bike as the bottom bracket may drop too far

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There is a reason that many companies brought mullet bikes out to the market. And why non of them succeeded.

What you perceive as the best of both worlds is also the worst of both worlds.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    There is a reason that many companies brought mullet bikes out to the market. And why non of them succeeded.

What you perceive as the best of both worlds is also the worst of both worlds.
    Mullet bikes would only be the worst of both sizes, if they reversed the wheel locations. Thankfully they don't.
    There is a lot of validity to that idea imo, yet previous few bikes built correctly as Mullets.
    If I was a bit shorter than the 5'11" that I am or I was building a dedicated DH rig, I would be aiming in the Mullet direction.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk