(Austin) Slaughter Creek Trail Semi-Report- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

(Austin) Slaughter Creek Trail Semi-Report

Rode it Saturday around noon with my 7yo son and were the only riders out there. Great beginner trail w/ a few rough sections. Looks to be between 5 and 6 miles roundtrip according to the Googles. A little bit of navigational head scratching in a couple spots but the trail markers helped (although it'd be nice to add a mileage feature in the future - I suffered a ride-ending double flat about halfway through and had to hoof it about 2 miles back to the car). No emergency roads back to the entrance; this is a sensitive environmental area, not a park. Stay away from the private residence. Pretty much just a big, one-way loop that crosses several different types of hill country land ranging from savannah to lowland forest. A few steepish descents/ascents and rocky sections. Reminded me a little of Muleshoe Bend at times.

If you go, bring your largest Camelbak and more than one tube as it's pretty damned thorny. Wear your sunblock and keep a sharp eye out for poison ivy in the lower sections. Check yourself for ticks - we both found a couple on us after the ride. If you're riding it in the Summer, it's gonna' be hotter than hell so expect it. No dogs allowed and pick up after yourselves.

Overall, we had a blast and although there was some youngun' grumbling (it was his first "real" trail), he told me later that he wants to go back. It's awesome having another trail in the city limits we can ride. Thanks a million to Britt Jones and the Austin Ridge Riders for all their hard work developing the trail system!
    Last edited by stinkymutt; 08-01-2010 at 04:41 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0