Austin - Rocky chunder goodness- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Austin - Rocky chunder goodness

We've got it!

Austin chunder raw dog
    Last edited by trailbrain; 04-20-2016 at 02:18 PM.
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    This was a really good video, good overview of what we have here in Austin. Linked it from my site as well.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Very nice.

mtbr member
    OK, what happened? I wanted to watch it again, no video...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hunrugger View Post
    OK, what happened? I wanted to watch it again, no video...
    Sorry about the hunrugger. Should be up now.
    THE RIDESTOKE COLLECTIVE
    https://ridestoke.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Sorry about the hunrugger. Should be up now.
    Haha. Thanks. It's a joy to watch. Nice riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    We've got it!

Austin chunder raw dog
    Every time I think I'm getting to be a decent rider for an old man I watch one of these videos and realize I suck!

I wish I could spend some time working on vertical drops in a progressive manner as that is definitely my weakest point. I rarely seem to have enough speed to really commit to them as don't ride nearly as fast!

Thanks for posting!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Every time I think I'm getting to be a decent rider for an old man I watch one of these videos and realize I suck!

I wish I could spend some time working on vertical drops in a progressive manner as that is definitely my weakest point. I rarely seem to have enough speed to really commit to them as don't ride nearly as fast!

Thanks for posting!
    I agree with that first sentiment.

Suggestion for the second - hit drops by following people you trust, use their speed as your gauge. Progress conservatively and pay attention to your suspension behavior (adjust it as you progress). "Trust" means they are not taking you off a 6 footer knowing you are not ready. "Trust" doesn't mean, "You got this, bro! Go big or go home!" There's an local place with drops ranging from 2-8ft, many of them ~4 or so ft are mandatory drops (no rolling). That is how I managed all of those following a guy I trust and also trusting my bike - don't go dropping crazy shit with a 70d HA and 100mm fork thinking that's appropriate - my 65.8HA and 160 Pike have definitely bailed me out of situations I would have otherwise not made. Sure, my HT 29er El Mariachi is fine on the 2 footers or so, but it's not made for it.

Do that enough and you build in your own measures and confidence.

Deception (Picnic X Upper and Picnic Upper) has several drops with smooth dirt run ups and landings, ranging from Small 2 footer, Med 3 and 4 footers and a Large ~6 footer. The ones without natural sloped transitions have man made transitions.

Now, having said all that, trust your self too and do not jump into the deep end too soon. I did, I hit the big step down on Toys and wound up with a broken collar bone, 3 ribs and sternum, plus a concussion...all because I said "F it and went for it" - went down following no one and overcooked it. Literally a day after I told myself to go out to RHR and hit more progressive stuff before hitting it. Granted, experienced observers told me it was my suspension set up that sent me rebounding OTB and not my technique - I would argue with more experience (read: progression) I would have, 1) been better equipped to deal with the squashed landing and 2) probably realized my shock needed tuning (adding 3 bands and tuning rebound as I ride these days).

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Where on Deception are these drops? I just roll all of the ones I know about! Where is picnic? There are 6' out there that you launch?! I roll off that one 8-10' smooth thing near the jogging trail but no way in hell I'd launch that thing.

I only get brave enough at Emma Long to actually jump off of most of the drops cause the momentum is already got me going that way. When I go off the few drops I do I land them perfectly but I've never been brave enough to hit those big ones.

I separated my shoulder 3 months ago behind the Specs at 290 & Mopac and I am in the process of starting my own company now. It is imperative that I do not injure myself at this juncture in my 44 year old life.

I dream of a long smooth downhill slope that has a 2' drop, then a 2.5' drop, then a 3' drop, then a 3.5' drop, 4' drop, 4.5' drop, etc... All in a row and with an escape line off to the side. Something that would allow riders to work up to the larger stuff on one steady run from the top. A section of smooth downhill built just for training for drops.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Where on Deception are these drops? I just roll all of the ones I know about! Where is picnic? There are 6' out there that you launch?! I roll off that one 8-10' smooth thing near the jogging trail but no way in hell I'd launch that thing.
    Cru Jones is the big chunky spot you speak of. You can pedal mash or unweight to "drop" it, which many of us do, but it's not really a huck.

I am referring to the drops along the creek - on Picnic. There are 2 spots with drops 'progressive' drops. These 2 are towards the east end of Picnic, considered Upper Picnic. They drop off the shelf - riding West to East they are just after your reach the shelf.
    https://youtu.be/6w9-VjPfmbU

The first one you reach (second one in the video) can be rolled, it' 2 ft rolled and 3-4 feet dropped. The second one (first in the video) should not be rolled, it's more like 4-5 feet dropped.

The others are at the opposite end - close to where Picnic X and Deception meet. There is an upper section down there too, Picnic XX. There are 2 drops that can be rolled or launched and launching will get you 3-4 feet drops and one large one, that is min 5ft dropped.
    Video doesn't do it..

This one can be rolled or launched.
    vimeo.com/video/154475978

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the vids. I'll have to find those places once the rain finally stops.

I tried to ride a couple of days ago and my wheels were locked up from goop and I ended up having to carry my bike out.

My first video posting but it's pretty lame! Hey, at least I'm smooth.

https://youtu.be/284wES6JNq8

mtbr member
    May 2004
    @Suns_PSD - you need to come out to Freeride512 @ rock hill - we have built a progressive drop zone where you can learn how to get your front wheel up.

Freeride512 | Dropzone