Austin riders need some suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Austin riders need some suggestions

I spend a lot of time in Austin on business and will be getting an apartment there to stay during the week. I really want to get an apartment where I can ride to MTB trails. I was looking around the Walnut Creek park area. Friends tell me park is great riding but the neighborhood is not good. Anybody know the Walnut Creek area or have any other suggestions on trail systems with apartments very close? My office is off of Well Branch so somewhere within say 20 minutes would be ideal.

mtbr member
    The area right around Walnut Creek isnt great. The worst would be Walnut Creek and South and east of it. I think if you lived north and/or west of Walnut, you'd be ok. up on Wells Branch should be ok honestly. I have some friends who live in some apartments in Lamplight Village, which is at Parmer and Metric and its a pretty nice complex.

Have you ridden Walnut? I wouldnt call the riding there "great". its fine, but I only ride it because its so close and I can get a quick after-work ride in. Its very smooth and not super challenging with minimal technical spots.

If you want something more technical, maybe look west of Mopac a little farther south, around Spicewood Springs Rd. There are a couple trails there, St Edwards and Thumper, but it might be kinda dicey riding your bike from an apartment to there.

Most of the best riding is out west and south of downtown, which doesnt really do you any favors when it comes to commutes. (I work right off Wells Branch too)

If you're interested in taking a ride at Walnut, I'd be more than happy to show you around. just PM me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sooner - thank you for the reply. I drove through Walnut creek and it did look flat. I am realistically looking to make a decision on apartment location in December. I live full time in Georgia and ride almost every day I am home - some nice trails nearby. I will definitely look in the Spicewoods Springs area. The other option is to just get close to some trails so I only have a few minute drive with my bike on a car rack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I live in South Austin in the Sunset Valley area...Although its a good drive to the wells branch area, you can easily jump on MOPAC and just travel north. The Greenbelt is fairly close to my apartment complex as well...5 Mins driving, maybe 20 on the bike.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    what kinda of rides do you enjoy? techy? fast flowy? 30 mins? 3 hrs?
    Really I would look at the apts off southwest prkwy.
    have you ridden any trail in the area?
    which ones?
    I'm sure you can join in on a ride when your in town next, if you'd like....just pm one of us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My wife and I ended up moving close to walnut.
    I think once you pass mopac on parmer headed west from walnut, the area get much better.
    I am convinced people in Austin have no idea what a true bad area is. I guess it is all relative to where you are coming from.
    Walnut is a fun XC trail with some fun little loops. It is not very challenging for the most part, but fun none the less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    what kinda of rides do you enjoy? techy? fast flowy? 30 mins? 3 hrs?
    Really I would look at the apts off southwest prkwy.
    have you ridden any trail in the area?
    which ones?
    I'm sure you can join in on a ride when your in town next, if you'd like....just pm one of us.
    southwest parkway? Hope this guys likes sitting in traffic 30 minutes each way to and from work. Not worth it if you ask me.stay north of 45th unless you want to get raped by traffic on the way to an from work

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    My bad. I didn't read the last sentance of his post indicating his office off Wells Branch.
    Was more focused on accesability of sweet trail that also happens to be free from the little packets of dog $h!t.
    Once you pass mopac on parmer headed west from walnut, the area does get much better.
    Also, the apts at 3220 Duval rd. have a cool trail that goes right to walnut... no driving required.

mtbr member
    no worries. my last job had a 45 minute commute each way (Fort Worth to Grand Prairie) and I will NEVER, EVER do that to myself again. Other people may not care, and if thats the case, down South would definitely be better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Southwest Parkway gives access to Barton Creek Breenbelt - Endless trail options -

A closer alternative is the Lakeway area off Rt 620. There are15-20 miles of trails - all accessible - Lots of variety

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Head west a bit and ride the Hill Country!! Amazing