Austin Riders- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Austin Riders

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5

    Smile Austin Riders

    Hi Everyone,

    My gf and I will be moving to Austin for most of next year on exchange (gf will be studying at UT). I am already planning my riding etc, it appears you have quite a choice of trails and a whole range of websites to search through

    SO, Which bike?!

    I have a 29er hardtail or a 26inch duelly, what are the trails like in the Austin area? What do most people feel is an all round bike? I can really only bring one. I will be spending at least 6 months in Austin studying externally so I will have PLENTY of free time.

    I ride basic cross country trails here in Australia, no downhill or anything but enjoy nice fast flowing single track. I like to do some endurance racing and casual short course stuff. Ive tried to look at as many pics of trails as I can but nothing is better then from someone who knows the tracks back to front...

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    136
    Tough question and I bet you get a mix of responses. You won't find Alpine epics or chair lifted descents here, but there are miles and miles of trail. Bring your favorite bike and ride the hell out of it. You'll be well suited on either. Enjoy your stay.

  3. #3
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,187
    what dual suspension you riding?
    i would say bring it, while not necessary at a lot of trails, there are some that will really benefit, like emma long...just gives you versatility compared to the hardtail since you can bring only one...unless you plan on doing a bunch of XC racing, then the 29er might be the better option

  4. #4
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,284
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    what dual suspension you riding?
    i would say bring it, while not necessary at a lot of trails, there are some that will really benefit, like emma long...just gives you versatility compared to the hardtail since you can bring only one...unless you plan on doing a bunch of XC racing, then the 29er might be the better option
    I'd agree. I recently had to make this decision when buying a new bike, since I can only really afford one, and went with the 26" dual suspension for versatility sake. I ride a 5" travel bike and will totally admit there are some trails I don't need it but there are some I would hate to do without.

    Basically what I'm trying to say is having a dual suspension isn't going to hold you back on what to ride, a hardtail might.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    122
    either will work. if your frames are aluminum, i'd say bring the 26r, just because the majority of the trails in the area are rocky in places. i'd do a google search on trails in the austin area to get a better idea of the terrain. i will say this: there's plenty to chose from.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    84
    While there are plenty of peeps around that ride HT's, I think you'd have more fun here on a full suspension. I have one of each as you do, and I rarely find myself on the HT. With only a couple of trails (out of hundreds) being smooth, the majority of them (especially the good ones) are very rocky, so I think to be able to enjoy the full experience of what Austin has to offer, suspension is a must. Post up when you get down here, and I'd be glad to show you around.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,223
    Squish!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5
    Thanks everybody! Looks like I might do a couple of upgrades on the duel sus then. It's a giant anthem x1 so not alot of travel but enough to get by. I am really looking forward to coming over, Austin looks like a great balance of city life combined with good riding etc. Next thing for me to research is the rockclimbing in the area and I guess where to live also... Haha

    thanks again and I will be shouting out or tour guides when I arrive!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by dean--o
    Thanks everybody! Looks like I might do a couple of upgrades on the duel sus then. It's a giant anthem x1 so not alot of travel but enough to get by. I am really looking forward to coming over, Austin looks like a great balance of city life combined with good riding etc. Next thing for me to research is the rockclimbing in the area and I guess where to live also... Haha

    thanks again and I will be shouting out or tour guides when I arrive!
    Barton Creek Green Belt near 360/Mopac has both climbing and pedaling opportunities.

  10. #10
    BC
    BC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    903
    There's a lot of this if that helps.


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKESNAKE
    There's a lot of this if that helps.
    That is the cheater line, you should see the hard line!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedigre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    That is the cheater line, you should see the hard line!
    (b/c it's true)
    Pedigre


  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    (b/c it's true)
    I haven't ridden with Lakesnake, but based on some of his videos & pics, I doubt he takes the easy way around stuff. Pretty sure Zero was being sarcastic. And there isn't an easy line through that section anyway...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedigre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by Philius413
    I haven't ridden with Lakesnake, but based on some of his videos & pics, I doubt he takes the easy way around stuff. Pretty sure Zero was being sarcastic. And there isn't an easy line through that section anyway...
    I am quite certain he was...and I wasn't being all that serious, either.
    Pedigre


  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1
    some good info here.
    http://www.austinbike.com/index.asp

    and here.

    www.bikemojo.com

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKESNAKE
    There's a lot of this if that helps.

    [image thoughtfully snipped]
    Why show an easy section?
    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  17. #17
    BC
    BC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    903

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Why show an easy section?
    Fine.. Have it your way.. I think this was one of your preferred routes before you went AZ on us.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5
    I just upgraded the forks on my giant anthem x1 to some brand new REBA teams... Looks like they will get a workout!

    Just looking on neighbourhoods to rent in now, trying to find somewhere easy to get to uni but also easy for me to ride TO the trails (wont have a car).

    I see city park and the greenbelt are fairly 'close' which looks good. Thanks again for the posts, keep them coming I am enjoying the advice!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bamwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,101
    That second picture speaks 2000 words. I ride full suspension here. Our trails are sick.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckie33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    761
    I've been watching this thread a little and have been checking out the ridge riders site. I'm coming there in January to do an internship for law school. Pretty excited about the riding that's available both right in the city and within an hour or so drive. Looks like I won't have much time to ride during the week unless its early or night riding. Is there a good bit of night riding that goes on there?
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    I've been watching this thread a little and have been checking out the ridge riders site. I'm coming there in January to do an internship for law school. Pretty excited about the riding that's available both right in the city and within an hour or so drive. Looks like I won't have much time to ride during the week unless its early or night riding. Is there a good bit of night riding that goes on there?
    There is ample night riding if you have the time and inclination!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bamwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,101
    Is there a good bit of night riding that goes on there?

    Certain parks here stay open till 10 instead of closing at dark, so get a sweet light.
    Talking my buddy into a minewt 350, then he can light up the trail for us all.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa1
    Is there a good bit of night riding that goes on there?

    Certain parks here stay open till 10 instead of closing at dark, so get a sweet light.
    Talking my buddy into a minewt 350, then he can light up the trail for us all.
    I've never heard of/seen enforcement of park hours having to do with mt biking. But then again, we are usually hanging out in the lot and wrapping just before 10.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckie33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    761
    Good to hear. I got a Magicshine that gets the job done pretty good. I have the one with the supposedly defective battery but I've been using it with no problems. Thinking about adding another one for the bars.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.