Austin to Palo Duro Canyon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Austin to Palo Duro Canyon

A few of us are thinking about driving from Austin to ride PDC at the end of this month. I was thinking about riding Buck Creek on the way up Friday afternoon, and riding PDC Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.

Is 1.5 days at PDC enough? Are there enough trails there to keep us busy and having fun?

Any opinions on the Buck Creek trails? I have read the reviews here and it looks like it could be good.

Is there anything else we should try to hit between Austin and PDC?

mtbr member
    Mae Simmons Park in Lubbock is a noteworthy consideration...Check it out. You can also use our Googlemap to view your route and then be able to see what's on the way.
    Last edited by Pedigre; 04-02-2009 at 05:57 AM.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I would also check out dinosaur valley and cleburne on my site. both are straight up I-35 and worth the ride.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    I would also check out dinosaur valley and cleburne on my site. both are straight up I-35 and worth the ride.

that's a little out of the way to PDC, but if you were to go that route, hit Solavaca Ranch as it's right up the street (literally) from Dino Valley. Personally, I'd save Dino Valley, Cleburne, Solavaca and possibly Fossil Rim as a trip of their own. That's actually what I did last fall, minus Fossil Rim, and it was a great 2 1/2 days!
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info, Y'all.

mtbr member
    May 2004

bummer

We headed up to PDC on Friday morning from Austin...made it to Lampases before the storm got us. Hail and heavy rain - prompted us to call PDC. They said to not even bother coming, park was closed for the majority of the day and would be too muddy to ride after.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    We headed up to PDC on Friday morning from Austin...made it to Lampases before the storm got us. Hail and heavy rain - prompted us to call PDC. They said to not even bother coming, park was closed for the majority of the day and would be too muddy to ride after.
    yeah when it rains there it floods some parts.. i mean.. theirs a water level marker before u get to the trail head. Mae Simmons in lubbock aint 2 bad.. i ride it often and think its a good course.. the only tthings i dont like about it is more thorns than usual and lots of loose rock in some places. but other than that its a great course to ride if ur on ur way to PDC.. btw.. i went to PDC yesterday and had a great ride on the Juniper/Sunflower trail and lighthouse.. stayed there about 4 hours or so.. very good ride..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    beware the "hole" on the left, right at the begining of juniper trail.

right deviant ?

No Knuckle Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero

When it rains, Little Fox Loop and the lower trails can be a mess. Paseo Del Rio is halfway underwater, but it is easier than a beginnner trail to begin with so I doubt anyone traveling to ride PD is going to miss it. GSL and Lighthouse are usually OK within a day or so unless we have a turd floater of a storm.
    I like Texas, ain't it fine here!

Members who have read this thread: 0