Austin i need your help...- Mtbr.com

Jul 2007

Austin i need your help...

I will be moving to the great city of Austin by the end of the year! And have recently fallen in love with MTB! I'm looking for a bike that will be able to handle all or most of what Austin has to offer. My price range is $1500 - $2000. and also if you could suggest a good LBS to me in the area would be great. Also wondering if an XC bike would be sufficient or should i be looking more towards an AM? Thanks for any advice you can give me and hope to see you all out on the trails soon!

Jul 2007
    I'm speaking on my bothers behalf and preferably he would like an FS. he currently owns an 07 Specialized hardrock sport . Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Bicycle Sport Shop on the corner of Lamer and Barton Springs has a large selection of brands and bikes in shop. To get the most out of the trails here most people ride a 4"-6" bike. So something along the lines of Giant Trance, Santa Cruz Heckler, Santa Cruz Superlight, Trek Fuel EX, Gary Fisher HiFi would be good to test ride if he can. Bicycle sport shop last time I was there had a $4000 dollar Superlight marked down to around the 2000 dollar mark since it is the older design. The GF HiFi keeps getting great reviews from what I have seen. With the new design from Giant he should be able to get a great deal on a Trance which IMO would be perfect for what is offered in the area. I am in the process of building an older design Heckler for here, but I am a clyde too. I would stay away from Spec. unless it is a closeout because the pricing on the 2008 stuff is ridiculous. This is a great time to be in the market for a bike. Also, just rembered there is a performance in Austin of Loop 1 and Anderson lane which has some nice deals on GT I-drives, Iron Horse Mk's and Mongoose Teocali.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have an large anodized orange Santa Cruz Superlight I'm thinking about getting rid of... XT shifters and derailleurs, Marzocchi Marathon S fork, Avid BB7 disc brakes, FSA XC-300 wheels, Easton carbon riser bar and mag stem, Thomson seatpost... all the goodies for less than $1500. I'm from Phoenix where the terrain is extremely rocky and technical and you see Superlights all over the place. I'm in Houston now, though, and I own too many bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by admo619
    I'm speaking on my bothers behalf and preferably he would like an FS. he currently owns an 07 Specialized hardrock sport . Thanks again!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, 4" is about right for Austin, although my lack of skill bumps me to the 5/6 range.

Keep your eye on Craigslist here for bikes, there are often 4-6" bikes selling for good prices there.
    Also, if he waits till sept/october when "season" is over (not really, austin is year-round riding weather) there will be better clearance deals and more selection on the used market.

mtbr member
    First things first...

When you get here, rent a good bike and get out to see what these trails look like so that
    you can make a better decision.

Don't ride Walnut Creek! A zero-travel baby stroller is overkill for that place.

Ride the Greenbelt. And get out there with a group so that you don't get lost and do have a
    chance to sample more trails.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Got Mojo?
    I will be moving to the great city of Austin by the end of the year! And have recently fallen in love with MTB! I'm looking for a bike that will be able to handle all or most of what Austin has to offer. My price range is $1500 - $2000. and also if you could suggest a good LBS to me in the area would be great. Also wondering if an XC bike would be sufficient or should i be looking more towards an AM? Thanks for any advice you can give me and hope to see you all out on the trails soon!
    You need a Yeti 575.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Jul 2007
    great post guys, thats exactly the info i was hoping to get! We should be there Tuesday to give the LBS mentioned a look at. And see if we can get a test ride on a few bikes! Whats your favorite trail to ride there if you don't mind me asking? seems like every time I'm there its raining! We have only had a chance to ride Walnut Creek.

And sweet offers on the bikes!
    funboarder1971 I'm not sure he fits the bill for a L size tho. 5'10 with a 31/32 inseam. I could be wrong? PM me if you like or post some pictures here that would be great.

BikeMojo And what size is that yeti!? again PM me if you like or post some pictures here that would be great.
    Thanks again!

Got Mojo?
    BikeMojo And what size is that yeti!? again PM me if you like or post some pictures here that would be great.
    Thanks again!
    The Yeti is a small. I'm 5'6" and it fits well. At 5'10" he would be too tall for it. Too bad, I am really trying to find a good home for it.

more info on that bike...
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. PM me if you're still interested.

great post guys, thats exactly the info i was hoping to get! We should be there Tuesday to give the LBS mentioned a look at. And see if we can get a test ride on a few bikes! Whats your favorite trail to ride there if you don't mind me asking? seems like every time I'm there its raining! We have only had a chance to ride Walnut Creek.

And sweet offers on the bikes!
    funboarder1971 I'm not sure he fits the bill for a L size tho. 5'10 with a 31/32 inseam. I could be wrong? PM me if you like or post some pictures here that would be great.

Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    This a matter of a lot of debate in Austin. The popular places to ride are Walnut, Greenbelt, City Park. There's a bunch of places in a stone's throw from Austin, like Reimer's Ranch. BTW, Walnut is awesome. Some people seem to bash it because it doesn't have enough rocks to help them justify the $2,000+ they spent on their rig. Whatever.

Walnut is smooth, the greenbelt is mixed with some areas of major rocks, and citypark is very rocky and tough. Reimer's Ranch varies, but is mostly smooth.

You'll see plent of expensive bikes out here. But, a lot of the veterans of Austin MTBing I know think a hardtail is just fine for these parts. I would say that there is a minimalist culture here. A lot of the dudes in the know love things like v-brakes, single speeds, 29 inch wheels, even rigid bikes. That's what's cool here. That's the "spirit" here. Of course, it seems most people are buying bikes that are overkill--expensive DS stuff.

Personally, I think a hardtail is perfect for most conditions. Let's face it, on relatively smooth trails a hardtail is the fastest bike out there. I've been bitten by the desire for a cool DS ride, but after some soul searching I'm liking the simplicity of the hardtail, it's acceleration, responsiveness, and the connection it offers to the trials.

I say come here. Ride. See what spirit grabs you. You might find yourself riding a 29er Single Speed, rigid, one v-brake in the front, no brake in the rear, no freewheel bike. Maybe you want remote lockout, 6 inch travel, $3,500 in the hole. Maybe something in between like a solid, well made, reliable hardtail is your thing.

Don't buy before you get here and find your unique vibe.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals Fastly
    A lot of the dudes in the know love things like v-brakes, single speeds, 29 inch wheels, even rigid bikes.

Now that is just crazy talk!

aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Guilty as charged. I've ridden some of the more difficult trails in Arizona on my rigid 29er singlespeed. I keep a 4" FS 29er around for the times I want some extra comfort, but its no more capable than my rigid bike. I'm thinking (and hoping) Austin has similar to Arizona trails, and if so....

Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    Now that is just crazy talk!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    Guilty as charged. I've ridden some of the more difficult trails in Arizona on my rigid 29er singlespeed. I keep a 4" FS 29er around for the times I want some extra comfort, but its no more capable than my rigid bike. I'm thinking (and hoping) Austin has similar to Arizona trails, and if so....
    It is the engine, not the bike....

Austin has some fun trails.... some great for blasting on the SS (Muleshoe, Walnut), others quite challenging (BCGB Backtrails, Emma and the unmentionables). But there is no trail that I know of that a rigid SS has not been on.

BTW here is my current ride.

aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Very true! I'm looking forward to Austin.

Sweeeeet ride! Is there a smilie for jealous?

Is that a 29" front/26" rear? or just the angle of the picture?

It is the engine, not the bike....

Austin has some fun trails.... some great for blasting on the SS (Muleshoe, Walnut), others quite challenging (BCGB Backtrails, Emma and the unmentionables). But there is no trail that I know of that a rigid SS has not been on.

BTW here is my current ride.

Heres a pic of my favorite ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Don't listen to alan, he talks a good game on the rigid stuff, but I've seen him on some pretty plush bikes as well. The secret is bacon, sweedish fish and night train. Come here and you'll understand.

As for the trails: http://www.austinbike.com

Yeah, I'm a site pimp, but what the hell, there are worse things to be in the world. Check out bike mojo, there is an austin forum and I know of 3 or 4 people that have moved from the phoenix and new mexico areas.

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumd...?s=&forumid=14

Got Mojo?
    Very true! I'm looking forward to Austin.

Sweeeeet ride! Is there a smilie for jealous?

Is that a 29" front/26" rear? or just the angle of the picture?

It is just the angle. And currently she's my baby. But I got some other plans (involving two more rigid rides).

Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Don't listen to alan, he talks a good game on the rigid stuff, but I've seen him on some pretty plush bikes as well. The secret is bacon, sweedish fish and night train. Come here and you'll understand.

As for the trails: http://www.austinbike.com

Yeah, I'm a site pimp, but what the hell, there are worse things to be in the world. Check out bike mojo, there is an austin forum and I know of 3 or 4 people that have moved from the phoenix and new mexico areas.

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumd...?s=&forumid=14

As John said, check out the AustinBike and BikeMojo websites.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Very cool. I have a couple rigid bike plans myself. I'm hoping to pick up a Slingshot Farmboy with a Kelly fork from a friend sometime (really) soon. I'm converting my old Fisher Supercaliber 29 to a cyclocross and I have an old 1985 Fisher that I'm playing with as well. Should be fun!

But I got some other plans (involving two more rigid rides).
    I signed up on BikeMojo, seemed pretty cool. I'm going to check out Austin bike when I'm done here.

As John said, check out the AustinBike and BikeMojo websites.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Its all good. During my tenure on mtbr, I've learned to grow some thick skin. Plus its always good to meet someone who likes to hammer on a rigid 1speed. For me, the plush geared bikes give you the opportunity to practice your climbing. Ya know, find a long steep trail, put it in granny and just focus on breathing, balance and pedaling in nice smooth circles. My friends usually give me [email protected] when I show up for a ride on a geared squishy bike. Unfortunately, Houston doesn't have anything that resembles a mountain so I have no need for my Superlight anymore.

Don't listen to alan, he talks a good game on the rigid stuff, but I've seen him on some pretty plush bikes as well.
    Night train?

The secret is bacon, sweedish fish and night train. Come here and you'll understand.

Got Mojo?

Night train?

Night Train, it's not just for bums.

Same thread, Mojo style
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Oh don't get me started about this...I hate bums. Please, nobody wants to read 5 pages of me ranting.

The thread is kinda funny if I don't think about it too much. If thats your passion, roll with it.

Anyhow, I wonder if the makers of Night Train figure bums as their target audience when the marketing people are doing their demographics presentation to the CEO.

Ok, I had to look... strangely enough neither Thunderbird or Night Train is listed on the Gallo website. But Wikipedia has an interesting read on it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Train_(wine)

Last edited by funboarder1971; 09-03-2007 at 12:55 PM.

Got Mojo?
    Anyhow, I wonder if the makers of Night Train figure bums as their target audience when the marketing people are doing their demographics presentation to the CEO.

oh it is not just for bums....

http://www.bumwine.com/nighttrain.html
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My hardtail turned rigid on me on the greenbelt recently. Fork froze. So I went with it and locked it out and put 'er in one gear and hammered to see if I liked it. Yeah, that was pretty hard. Maybe some 29ers would have been key.

I'm flirting with the Specialized Rockhopper 29er. It's a low tech solution to the rocks on the greenbelt, where I primarily ride. I just don't trust a $1,000 full suspension. I see all the problems I get on a simple HT--bent rear derauiller, brake issues, fork issues--it just makes me think about all the additional moving parts on a FS that the greenbelt can chew up and spit out. Simpler the better I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Very cool. I have a couple rigid bike plans myself. I'm hoping to pick up a Slingshot Farmboy with a Kelly fork from a friend sometime (really) soon. I'm converting my old Fisher Supercaliber 29 to a cyclocross and I have an old 1985 Fisher that I'm playing with as well. Should be fun!

I signed up on BikeMojo, seemed pretty cool. I'm going to check out Austin bike when I'm done here.
    Drop me a pm on bikemojo when you get into town. I'll show you around. Do you know where in Austin you are moving?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Personally, I think a hardtail is perfect for most conditions. Let's face it, on relatively smooth trails a hardtail is the fastest bike out there. I've been bitten by the desire for a cool DS ride, but after some soul searching I'm liking the simplicity of the hardtail, it's acceleration, responsiveness, and the connection it offers to the trials.
    You're wrong.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    You're wrong.

Do you want to buy a Yeti 575? I think that you need one. Me, I don't.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Do you want to buy a Yeti 575? I think that you need one. Me, I don't.
    Not enough travel, glued together, and I have too much junk in my garage already.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You're wrong.
    Nuh uhh, you are.

mtbr member
    Nuh uhh, you are.
    OK

What's your best CP lap time?

'Cause let's face it, there are more Austin trails that are more like CP than WC.

If you want to pick the wrong bike for Austin, pick one that is faster on smooth trails.

BTW - there are no RLAA riders on hardtails and there are no hardtails off the front of any
    RLAA rides.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    OK

What's your best CP lap time?

'Cause let's face it, there are more Austin trails that are more like CP than WC.

If you want to pick the wrong bike for Austin, pick one that is faster on smooth trails.

BTW - there are no RLAA riders on hardtails and there are no hardtails off the front of any
    RLAA rides.

There you go trying to type sense to spodes again - must be feeling spunky today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sounds like we got ourselves a good old fashion "bike-off" here. You two--Evil Patrick and Mr Whlr--enjoy yourselves.

By the way, I just want to extend a warm thank you from all who have read your posts for giving not only mountain bikers in general a bad name, but now Austin mountain bikers in particular.

I just want everybody to know that you two are by far the small minority of mountain bikers out there. The rest of us are humble, helpful, and friendly--you know, likable and cool.

Later to you.
    Last edited by Pedals Fastly; 09-06-2007 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    By the way, I just want to extend a warm thank you from all who have read your posts for giving not only mountain bikers in general a bad name, but now Austin mountain bikers in particular.

What in the world are you talking about?

I don't believe that Mrwhlr and Bike Mojo have given anyone "a bad name".

Please, cite your source.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    I just want everybody to know that you two are by far the small minority of mountain bikers out there. The rest of us are humble, helpful, and friendly--you know, likable and cool.
    When you aren't fabricating stories about who's ruining it for everyone, you might come off as
    "likeable" and "friendly", but I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding what is so "helpful"
    about recommending a hardtail to someone for Austin trails. That's not "cool". In my opinion,
    a hardtail would be a waste of money. The good trails in Austin will definately "humble" the
    hardtail rider.

No one I know of owns a DS (Dual Slalom) bike. Not sure why you made that "overkill--expensive
    DS stuff" reference.

As I stated long ago, the best way for someone to figure out what they should buy is to
    rent and sample the bikes and the trails.

Personally, I think the answer for Austin, TX is long travel rock-slammers with
    leading-edge technologies ridden at a blistering pace.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sounds like we got ourselves a good old fashion "bike-off" here. You two enjoy yourselves.

Later to you.
    They're your toys, and you may go home anytime you like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Ok, I'll chime in here EP. Yes, a dualie is a good bike to have here in Austin, but it's not the only bike to have. YOU may think it is, but that's because of the way YOU ride. I ride all the trails you do (except for your special little place on your special little land), but even then, I'm friends with some of your friends and have heard all about them and I can tell you right now that you can ride most, not all, of them on a hardtail. Would said hardtail be going as fast, depends on the rider, but for the most part no. That being said, I'm just a lonely rigid SS rider who in my opinion can hold his own. I'm by no means an excellent rider.
    I know I know, your bad ass and your little RLAA group is so awesome and ya'll own the trails and blaa blaa blaa. I know ya'll are good guys, but please realize there is more than one riding style. No one style is the best.
    If this guy likes riding hardtails (and from his pic it looks like he does) then I would encourage him to get one. There is NOTHING on the Greenbelt that can't be made on a hardtail (or a SS/rigid for that matter). And until he gets in your little group, it won't matter because there really aren't any legal trails that would require a big bike. Down the road, when he finds out about your little hidden gems (and believe you me, they aren't THAT secret), he can go drop his 5G's on a bike.
    Ok, waaaaaayyyy to much thought put into that post. I just didn't want a couple people representing all that is Austin biking. We have an amazing community here. Some on the internet, some not. My offer stands if you want a ride when you get into town.
    Peace.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=Evil Patrick]What in the world are you talking about?

QUOTE]

"What is your lap time..?" And you mooned me in your reply. Dude, that ain't cool. Ok, you're not that bad. But that MrWhlr guy pretty much s+cks. He called me (or maybe BIke Mojo) a "Spode." I'm not sure I know what that is, but it sounds bad. I'm pretty sure I've gone to blows over being called something not as bad as a "spode." That guy should go---ride a bike.

Ok, I'm out of this thread.

My answer: hardtail. But if you ride a full suspension "all mountain" or "cross country" rig, it's ok. I guess I like the "minimum force necessary" approach. Of course it depends on your riding. I'm assuming most people don't ride 25 mph at CP on the mountain bike.

Now, later.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure I've gone to blows over being called something not as bad as a "spode." That guy should go---ride a bike.

OK - your problem is more serious than I thought. Nothing I can do to help you with anger
    management.

BTW - you do not want to "go to blows" w/ Mrwhlr. He does ride a bike; usually
    6 or 7 days a week and he is beyond fit and can take a threshold of pain that we can only
    imagine.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    OK - your problem is more serious than I thought. Nothing I can do to help you with anger
    management.

BTW - you do not want to "go to blows" w/ Mrwhlr. He does ride a bike; usually
    6 or 7 days a week and he is beyond fit and can take a threshold of pain that we can only
    imagine.
    You guys are so tough in your little bike costumes riding your $5g bikes. Have a cooshy ride over those big rocks. Be sure to keep hydrated with the latest technological advancements in water.

I laugh at you both.

mtbr member
    You guys are so tough in your little bike costumes riding your $5g bikes. Have a cooshy ride over those big rocks. Be sure to keep hydrated with the latest technological advancements in water.

I laugh at you both.
    Wow.

When you say "I'm outta here" 2 or 3 times, you really mean it.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    [QUOTE=Pedals Fastly
    Ok, I'm out of this thread.

Now, later.[/QUOTE]

Please stay true to your word. This doesn't have to be a pissing match.

mtbr member

I laugh at you both.

Yeah.

The "likeable" and "cool" factors are slipping a bit.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah.

The "likeable" and "cool" factors are slipping a bit.

Beat me to it! Damn you're quick today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc
    Ok, I'll chime in here EP. Y......................en you get into town.
    Peace.
    Hate to kill your mo here Chupaxc, but you're the minority in Austin on that SS/rigid torture rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Beat me to it! Damn you're quick today.
    "And just be nice...until it's time to not be nice." --Patrick Swayze in Road House. Don't act like you haven't seen it.

It's the middle of the freak'n work day and we're acting like kids on this stupid thread. Admit it, you're having fun. Ok, NOW I'm out of here. For real this time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hate to kill your mo here Chupaxc, but you're the minority in Austin on that SS/rigid torture rack.
    Yep

Jul 2007
    wow.. almost sorry i started this thread... jk but just an update heh.. my brother went ahead and stayed with his HT and upgraded parts- fork, brakes, rims shifters and so on. And i stayed with my HT as well with a few mods. IF or when we feel its time to step it up.. think we will just buy a FS frame and swap parts. but thanks to all who gave there thoughts, seems its all preference.. and im sure skill has lots to do with it.
    thanks again. by the way if anyone feels like showing us around some trails .. feel free to PM. Thanks again!
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    wow.. almost sorry i started this thread...

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Pedals Fastly totally lost his "cool" and revealed his true, violent
    nature with threats of "going to blows" while self-proclaiming to be one of the "likeable"
    members. There's really nothing anyone can do to stop this type of attitude, which just
    gives mountain bikers a bad name in the long run.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Pedals Fastly totally lost his "cool" and revealed his true, violent
    nature with threats of "going to blows" while self-proclaiming to be one of the "likeable"
    members. There's really nothing anyone can do to stop this type of attitude, which just
    gives mountain bikers a bad name in the long run.

...and Austin riders in particular....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc
    Yep

You are not alone. Rigid SS makes the ride harder. Squishy gears makes it easier.

Kinda like riding around the technical section of the trail

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The only issues to riding a rigid SS are.

1. Your lose your cadence. Your body gets used to making lots of power at low rpms and you wind up losing top speed. I noticed this especially on the road bike. When I was riding my SS exclusively and getting crazy fast on it, I started losing speed on the road... lots of speed.

2. A rigid fork handles much different than a squishy fork (I know, duh!). While you learn to pick better lines with the rigid, on technical high speed runs, which I imagine Austin has quite a few, things can get out of hand. Fast. I learned that at the Payson Stampede 24hr. I entered the geared class with my full sussy bike. After I broke it the rear triangle, I did a couple laps on my beloved rigid SS. The course was way too technical and I wound up giving up after 2 more laps. I couldn't see beating the snot out of myself for another 16 hours. On the flip side, I've been known to ride the trails that basically only the DH guys in full armor will ride.

My point: I find that most trails, even the most technical ones are well suited to a rigid SS. I prefer my rigid SS and most people forget about my full squishy bike, however you can have my geared full suspension bike when you pry it from my cold dead hands! Its like dating both Pam Anderson and Sherilyn Fenn.

Another note: a road bike will make you even faster!

Quote Originally Posted by shinerider
    You are not alone. Rigid SS makes the ride harder. Squishy gears makes it easier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Rigid SS makes the ride harder.
    So does smoking cigarettes, so does using a higher gear, so does being fat and riding primarily with yuppie spodes.....the list goes on and on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

1. Your lose your cadence. Your body gets used to making lots of power at low rpms and you wind up losing top speed. I noticed this especially on the road bike. When I was riding my SS exclusively and getting crazy fast on it, I started losing speed on the road... lots of speed.

2. A rigid fork handles much different than a squishy fork (I know, duh!). While you learn to pick better lines with the rigid, on technical high speed runs, which I imagine Austin has quite a few, things can get out of hand. Fast. I learned that at the Payson Stampede 24hr. I entered the geared class with my full sussy bike. After I broke it the rear triangle, I did a couple laps on my beloved rigid SS. The course was way too technical and I wound up giving up after 2 more laps. I couldn't see beating the snot out of myself for another 16 hours. On the flip side, I've been known to ride the trails that basically only the DH guys in full armor will ride.

My point: I find that most trails, even the most technical ones are well suited to a rigid SS. I prefer my rigid SS and most people forget about my full squishy bike, however you can have my geared full suspension bike when you pry it from my cold dead hands! Its like dating both Pam Anderson and Sherilyn Fenn.

You've got it all figured out Tinkerbell! Obviously, you'll be fastest riding that road bike on even the most technical trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Tsk, tsk... need some cheese with your whine?

I try to add some insight from my experiences and I get sarcasm... Sorry I hurt your feelings with the road bike comment. You must be the "likeable" and "friendly" one.

Next time, try to post something meaningful and somewhat helpful, instead of attacking other peoples opinions when they're trying to help out.

You've got it all figured out Tinkerbell! Obviously, you'll be fastest riding that road bike on even the most technical trails.
    Last edited by funboarder1971; 09-08-2007 at 10:01 AM.

mtbr member

Your post makes riding a rigid SS sound much harder than it really is. Your level of difficulty would be better explained if you were talking about a Rigid Fixed Gear.
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
    Your post makes riding a rigid SS sound much harder than it really is. Your level of difficulty would be better explained if you were talking about a Rigid Fixed Gear.
    My point: I find that most trails, even the most technical ones are well suited to a rigid SS.

I've ridden some of the more difficult trails in Arizona on my rigid 29er singlespeed. I keep a 4" FS 29er around for the times I want some extra comfort, but its no more capable than my rigid bike.

Tell me again where you came up from this nonsense. Riding a rigid bike, or a singlespeed or even a fixie isn't for everyone and I never said it was. I simply recount my experiences and what works for me. Besides, most of the fixie guys I know, think fixed off-road is better. I don't agree, but I still respect their choice of bike and recognize that they do possess more skills than I. Regardless of what kind of bike you choose, the rider is the most important part of *any* bike.

I think this is what you're looking for...

Last edited by funboarder1971; 09-08-2007 at 03:17 PM.

mtbr member

Tell me again where you came up from this nonsense. Riding a rigid bike, or a singlespeed or even a fixie isn't for everyone and I never said it was. I simply recount my experiences and what works for me. Besides, most of the fixie guys I know, think fixed off-road is better. I don't agree, but I still respect their choice of bike and recognize that they do possess more skills than I. Regardless of what kind of bike you choose, the rider is the most important part of *any* bike.

I think this is what you're looking for...
    You must be from Team Smack......
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member

I'm not one hunner percent sure, but I thought I saw clipless pedals and knobbies on
    your bike.

?

Talk the talk?

Walk the walk:

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    For those late to class, the following sums up this thread nicely:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oMVAc0pgnOw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oMVAc0pgnOw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

In exile
    hahahaha

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm not one hunner percent sure, but I thought I saw clipless pedals and knobbies on
    your bike.

?

Talk the talk?

Walk the walk:
    That's it, I'm going back to semi-slicks and flats!

Its not my fault you can't ride the GB without shitloads of gears and 5" of travel

Just don't drink my beer when you get back to the cars first

Members who have read this thread: 0