Austin - commute help requested- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Austin - commute help requested

My brother is moving to Austin and will be working downtown (City Hall). He is interested in commuting to work. Are there any suitable bike routes? Any suggestions for a bike friendly place (i.e. commutable - 6-10 miles) to look for a house? Any Austin cycling web resources?

Thanks!

amar la vida de dos niner
    In my opinion, the easiest & safest commutes to downtown are from the northern neighborhoods along Shoal Creek and/or Lamar. Rosedale is fabulous but pricey. Allandale is a little further north, and moderately pricey. Crestview and Brentwood are a little run down (hope I'm not offending anyone!), but also more affordable.

If your brother wants more info, I'd be glad to share. (No, I'm not in real estate.) Just PM me his email address.

clair
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

mtbr member
    Here's a map of all the "official" bike routes that's put out by the city. He should be able to get a hard copy from either city hall or the tourist office on 6th St.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/bicycle/bikemap.htm

Downtown is this grid http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/bicycle/c2s.htm

City hall is on the north side of the river on the block between Cesar Chavez (1st St) & 2nd between Guadalupe & Lavaca. If he can tie his ride into the Shoal Creek Hike & Bike it'll put him right there with minimal traffic play. There's a pedistrian bridge over the creek about 2 blocks before it intersects with the town lake hike & bike that puts you a block or 2 from City Hall on San Antonio St. at 3rd or 4th.

Note: Shoal Creek Hike & Bike is a crushed granite & concrete trail that starts at 38th St near Lamar (where Shoal Creek Blvd ends) and it runs all the way to Town Lake (the colorado river). At Town Lake it intersects with the Town Lake Hike & bike which runs along both sides of the river downtown.
    Last edited by texacajun; 10-20-2006 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanks guys for your help - I may come back with more questions - will speak to him this weekend

FWIW - I visit him once or twice a year and store my old skool Bridgestone MB0 with him and would love a route that could get me to Zilker Park / Green Belt that didn't require a car

amar la vida de dos niner
    Quote Originally Posted by M.J.
    thanks guys for your help - I may come back with more questions - will speak to him this weekend

FWIW - I visit him once or twice a year and store my old skool Bridgestone MB0 with him and would love a route that could get me to Zilker Park / Green Belt that didn't require a car
    It would simply be a variation of the route he would use to get to work.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

mtbr member
    Like Scorpion woman said...Zilker is across the river and about 1.5-2 mi west of city hall and they're connected by the town lake hike & bike and no car bridges.

It's a no traffic ride from city hall. There's 2 pedistrian/bike only bridges that cross the river downtown. The closest onne (the Pfluger bridge) is next to the lamar blvd bridge. the other is under Mopac (Loop 1).

From City Hall (I work 2 blocks from there) you can ride the town lake hike & bike to the Pfluger pedestrian bridge at lamar, get on the southside of the TLHBT and ride west about a mile to the bridge over Barton Springs. Cross the creek then you just take a left (upstream) instead of continuing on the TLHBT and you're at the pool/trailhead for the Barton Springs Greenbelt. From the Mopac bridge you just go East 'til you hit the Creek at the same point and go upstream to the trailhead.

Jul 2006
    Thanks for posting that link to the maps texacajun. I have been thinking about riding to work for a while and that map just showed me a safer route I can take. I am definitly bookmarking that page for future use.

mtbr member
    np, you can snag a hard copy at that tourist info center on 6th.

Members who have read this thread: 0