Austin Bikes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Austin Bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Austin Bikes

What bike are you riding now? I just wanted to hear from some people in the Austin area what bike you are riding so I could get some ideas. I've been riding a hard tail since I got into mtb' ing and I have recently moved to the area. As I explore the local trails, I'm really fealing the need to get a FS... I have considered a Blur LT, but I'm a little worried about the lower linkage, how low it hangs, it looks like I would be bashing it on rocks all the time.
    Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've had everything from a hard tail up to my current 7.5" rig, an Intense Uzzi VP. You can ride most of the stuff here with a hard tail and a 4" XC bike will get the job done all day, but I would have to say that the majority of people are 5-6" trail/AM bikes. There are those like me that want more so that I can hit the big stuff and travel out west, but we are a minority. The full suspension 29'er thing is huge here too!

You can ride whatever you want but for the best overall experience I'd have to recommend a 5-6" bike, that gives you a crap ton of choices and the Blur LT you mentioned will work just fine!

Good luck on your decision and welcome to the ATX!

mtbr member
    TejasMTB pretty much hit it all on the head. As for your concern with bashing, I had that very problem, which lead to my ditching the big ring for a bashguard. (not sure if you will be able to pull the image up)
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am on a Pivot Cycles Mach429 now. My previous bike was a Trek Fuel EX9. Both bikes are good choices for the Austin area. But the bike that fits you best is MUCH more important than wheel size or suspension travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Im on a 2006 Gary Fisher Fat Possum

Check out this site for local trails: http://www.austinbike.com/index.asp

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I'm on a Salsa El Kaboing and the two guys I normally ride with have an ole Cannondale Jekyll and a Surly Karate Monkey.

Tejas had it right though, lots of FS trail and AM bike (26 and 29).

As for the Blur's linkage I'd agree with Pedigre and say get a bash. I like the MRP stuff, especially the XCG cuz you can keep the big ring.

Big Boy
    i would recommend a 29er, but i ride during the week in San Marcos, and the best trail here is littered with baby head sections and the 29er really helps.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'd recommend a full susser in the 4-6" range that pedals well. Most trails are pretty rocky with a lot of momentum killers and slow-techy sections, so you'll want something to soak up the bumps to maintain speed through those spots. Since there aren't many huge downhill features, you don't need more than 6". Also, because there aren't any shuttle-type places due to the lack of mountains, you'll want something efficient because you will have to pedal to get where you wanna go. Currently on a Knolly Endorphin, and it gets the job done pretty well. A lot of folks around here dig the 29er's, but the guys I ride with that sport the big wheels (who are better riders than me overall) have more difficulty than I do the tight, chunky spots & switchbacks that require quick handling. However, it seems that is to be expected as a sacrifice when opting for a 29er in general--it depends on if you'd rather have a better handling 26er, or a better rolling 29er.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05
    i would recommend a 29er, but i ride during the week in San Marcos, and the best trail here is littered with baby head sections and the 29er really helps.
    Yeah I actually live in San Marcos too, what trail are you refering to purgatory? That trail IS a pain on my hardtail.

Philius, a Knolly Endorphin is one of the bikes I have been seriously considering, they seem pretty sweet, but I havnt had the chance to actually ride one. I'm a little concerned with how heavy they are, does the weight bother you for long rides?

Thanks guys for all of your input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Currently it weighs in at 34 pounds, and I have it built pretty heavy-duty as I have taken it to New Mexico & plan on travelling out of state with it more in the future. Just my Mavic 823 rims laced to True Precision hubs with 2.6" tires adds quite a bit of weight. Originally I had it built with Mavic 717's around XTR hubs with 2.2" tires, carbon seat post, stem, & bar, and a XC saddle and it came in right at or just under 30 lbs, depending on if I had my flats or clipless on at the time. But I had just started riding then, and as I got more aggressive & explored more technical trails, decided I wanted some burlier components--wider non-carbon bar, non-carbon post & stem, etc. Even with it built up "heavy", it pedals like it weighs much less, and I did not notice the added weight at all. This seems to be consistent with Knolly's suspension design, as all of the reviews I have read about them & first-hand experience come up with the same thing, even with their longer-travel rigs. There are quite a few guys from Austin that ride Knolly's and post regularly in the Knolly forum, so peruse those threads & vids to see what I mean. I also have a hardtail that weighs in around 24 pounds, and I can actually do longer distances on the Endorphin because I can sit longer and don't use my energy being a rear shock. It has very little bob, so it really pedals like a light hardtail, if not better once you learn to use the rear suspension to help get up & over obstacles. Hammerhead Bikes has an Endorphin demo, so I would suggest swinging in there next time you're in Austin to take it for a spin. You won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been on my rip 9 for a year and a half and have ridden just about everything in central Texas on it. I would say that there are only a few places that push this bike to it's limits. If we knew a bit more about your riding style and where you learned to ride, we could probably make a better guess what might work for you... If you have been riding fully rigid in new England, then 5" travel bikes would just be too squishy for you here!
    "The good news is you're still conscious, the bad is that you're too heavy for me to carry. You gotta ride it out bro."

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have rode at lake bryan a lot on my kona muni-mula.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guggas
    .. I have considered a Blur LT, but I'm a little worried about the lower linkage, how low it hangs, it looks like I would be bashing it on rocks all the time.
    That thought crossed my mind before I bought an LT. But it has never been
    an issue.

And I love my LT, you could do far, far worse than choosing a LT.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Rigid 29er singlespeed built by True Fabrications.... its all you really need around here.

Rohloff
    I like having a FS bike in central Texas. 29ers are nice around here as well. I HIGHLY recommend renting some bikes and taking them for some test rides out on the trails. Parking lot rides and online reviews are OK but have relatively limited value. I know Bicycle Sports Shop and Precision Cycles have quite a few bikes to rent. The money you spent on renting is usually applied to the purchase price of a new bike, so it works out pretty well in the end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27
    Rigid 29er singlespeed built by True Fabrications.... its all you really need around here.
    Yep, you'll never be without an excuse.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27
    So does that mean you're looking to get rid of your Turner?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I like a FS for central Texas and specifically a 29er but I have raced and ridden most of those trails on hardtails, even at Emma Long park. My Fisher Paragon 29er did just fine but I would have loved to have had a FS 29er. My next bike will be either a HiFi, a Rumblefish, or a Camber. My present bike is a HT Access 9r and it works well enough too.

Todd

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Philius413
    So does that mean you're looking to get rid of your Turner?
    Not with Reveille Peak Ranch around

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by guggas
    Yeah I actually live in San Marcos too, what trail are you refering to purgatory? That trail IS a pain on my hardtail.

Philius, a Knolly Endorphin is one of the bikes I have been seriously considering, they seem pretty sweet, but I havnt had the chance to actually ride one. I'm a little concerned with how heavy they are, does the weight bother you for long rides?

Thanks guys for all of your input.
    I ride purgatory and prospect about 2 or 3 times during the week cause i go to school here, but as soon as the weekend hits i am heading to austin or home to college station to ride lake bryan. Tomorrow I am trying out madrone trail in canyon. i have heard good things about it.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    aye, I spent ten years in College Station.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    rigid 29er singlespeed.. i need to save for a fs!

Members who have read this thread: 0