• 04-21-2011
    LadyDi
    Austin area trail suggestions for 13 yr old
    Hi folks, I'll be visiting the Austin area with my 13 1/2 yr old son and renting good bikes. We plan to hit Reimer's Ranch for sure, beyond that I'd love some suggestions. I'd call us both Low Intermediates--we enjoy the same home trails but my son lacks my endurance. Also, where we live my boy is used to moderate climbing (say, ~1800 ft max/ride) and up to 15 miles in length with some minor technical challenges but nothing too scary or hairy. Whatcha guys got for us? We have a full week...

Thanks!
  • 04-21-2011
    CharacterZero
    Barton Creek Green Belt - you can stick to the "main" trail here, it is good and fun, but foot traffic can be high on the weekends. Bonus: can ride from down town.

Pace Bend Park or Muleshoe - both are good flowing singletracks that are on land right by the lake. Perfect if you fancy a dip in the h20 during the ride. I'd say that muleshoe has just a hair more tech/climbing, as it isn't quite as stretched out as pace bend. They are closer to Reimers than downtown.

Walnut Creek - bonus: in town. Cobweb of trails to keep you entertained, but best to ride with a guide to make them flow.

Reveille Peak Ranch - very cool, about an hour out of town. Upper loop has some tech, the lower is very nice. Cool endurance ranch.

check austinbike.com for reviews and pics/maps too.

If you'd like a guide, head to bike mojo's austin voodoo forum and post up...
  • 04-21-2011
    ArmySlowRdr
    Pace Bend and Muleshoe are close enough to each other to ride them back to back. Do PB first; then relax and marvel at how fast and not as hard Muleshoe seems. Some people even throw Reimers in and do a trifecta but IMO that is just brutal.
  • 04-21-2011
    LadyDi
    Thanks so much, sounds great. We're getting very excited about the trip. Most of our riding will take place midweek when the trails are less crowded.
  • 04-21-2011
    big_papa_nuts
    If there is one thing Walnut is good for...

I hear ARR is gonna start the paving it soon.
  • 04-22-2011
    mtbscott
    Austin "area" is a broad term. Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville 30 miles away comes to mind, easy place to spend a whole day riding with multiple distance options. If you're here this weekend, Juan Pelota Ranch is open for riding although you have to register on BikeReg to go, search "Mellow Johnny's Classic" on BikeReg.
  • 04-22-2011
    LadyDi
    Juan Pelota fun ride-- great tip-- registered, done! I assume check-in/wristbands happen on site? What is the drive time to Juan Pelota Ranch, approximately, from the Research Blvd. area?

I also hear good things about Rocky Hill Ranch. As I said, we have all week.
  • 04-22-2011
    mtbscott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyDi
    Juan Pelota fun ride-- great tip-- registered, done! I assume check-in/wristbands happen on site? What is the drive time to Juan Pelota Ranch, approximately, from the Research Blvd. area?

I also hear good things about Rocky Hill Ranch. As I said, we have all week.

I'm sure there will be a check-in tent near where you park. As the crow flies, the ranch is not that far from Austin, but it's a slow, twisty road the last 10 miles or so. I usually stay near I35 and Ben White, and it takes me 45 minutes or so to get there even early in the morning. With typical Austin afternoon traffic, give yourself at least an hour.
  • 04-22-2011
    Pedigre
    definitely a good call on Juan Pelota, but as you see there are plenty of others to choose from. Depending on how long you are in town, this map should make things easier to plan. Of course there are trail listings/pics/reviews/etc on the site, too.
  • 04-24-2011
    dimitrin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyDi
    Hi folks, I'll be visiting the Austin area with my 13 1/2 yr old son and renting good bikes. We plan to hit Reimer's Ranch for sure, beyond that I'd love some suggestions. I'd call us both Low Intermediates--we enjoy the same home trails but my son lacks my endurance. Also, where we live my boy is used to moderate climbing (say, ~1800 ft max/ride) and up to 15 miles in length with some minor technical challenges but nothing too scary or hairy. Whatcha guys got for us? We have a full week...

Thanks!

Sounds like your son can handle most of what we have to offer. CharacterZero summed it up pretty well, although most trails are better with a guide. Walnut creek is pretty easy to figure out when you follow the dots on the trail markers, plus Tuesday nite R&I at walnut creek is a local event that can be alot of fun :thumbsup:
    Do check out the link to austin voodoo forum, as a guide may get you into mythical 'bonus areas' not found on any map, and will allow you to communicate with the very active local community of riders should you desire something more challengeing after the first few days.
    Yall should have a great time. Austin is a great place hang out and enjoy life.
  • 04-24-2011
    dimitrin
    I forgot to mention that both Mule shoe and Pace Bend are on lake Travis which can be pretty refreshing after a ride. And Pace Bend has deep water coves with some very cool cliffs that are great for jumping into the water....for a little bonus thrill. Combined with Lees burgers on the way out, man, that will make for a memorable day for sure.