Austin 1 day to ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Austin 1 day to ride

I'm driving into town for World RallyCross Championships at the end of the month. Gonna show up a day early.

AirBnB is in Cedar Creek. Looking for a 24mile loop with nice flow, perhaps some rocky stuff? I am on a Stache 9.8 .

Could ya'll recommend me a good trail system to go to while I'm there? TIA

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just found out I'm across the street from Mckinney Rough... Thoughts on this trail system?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    all I can say is hit strava and runtastic.. Austin is certainly a bike friendly place

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    In Cedar Park you’re right by Brushy Creek. To get 24 miles you’d have to run it a couple of times but it’s all bi-directional so you could run everything both ways. Not much elevation, but decent XC trails with a few interesting features.

Better would be to drive a little ways out of town to Reveille Peak Ranch. You’ll already be on the right side of town. Large open ranch with various loops ranging from XC to some enduro runs. You’ll need to check to make sure they are open to bikers that day since the do events and military training out there.

Another option is always Barton Creek Greenbelt locates just south of downtown. Main trail is 8 miles and you can pick it up from downtown. Main trail is XC-ish but there are a lot of great side side trails. A little easy to get lost but Trailforks or Strava have a lot of the side trails listed to get out in that case.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm staying in Cedar Creek, not Cedar Park. But those trails look interesting. I *think* McKinney Rough is going to be too easy, but we'll see. Perhaps I'll have time to visit 2-3 trail systems in a day.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I think I'd like to try the City Park (Emma Long Motorcycle Trails). Don't have anything like that hear and looks like it would be a good challenge!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobie View Post
    I think I'd like to try the City Park (Emma Long Motorcycle Trails). Don't have anything like that hear and looks like it would be a good challenge!
    Challenging is an understatement IMO. There's rarely motorcycles on it, or really bicycles for that matter, but that trail is a tough one.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Challenging is an understatement IMO. There's rarely motorcycles on it, or really bicycles for that matter, but that trail is a tough one.
    I recently took a designated MTB trip to Austin to ride. I had heard about Emma Long, but the guys at the local bike shop said the trail is useless because of dirtbikers thrashing it.
    If I had ONE day in Austin, I'd either go back to Brushy Creek (you can get in 20 miles of pretty challenging terrain), or I'd drive a little up north and do the epic 30 mile Goodwater Loop around Lake Georgetown.

People are going to tell you to ride Walnut Creek, but unless you're a local or have a guide it's not very fun. You spend most of your time lost or repeating section over and over. Overall, you can't go wrong at Brushy Creek.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Another vote for Bushy Creek if you've only got one ride in Austin. Download trailforks and use it, as the trails in Austin aren't well marked. You could even do Bushy Creek and then go to Walnut if you're curious.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl3 View Post
    I recently took a designated MTB trip to Austin to ride. I had heard about Emma Long, but the guys at the local bike shop said the trail is useless because of dirtbikers thrashing it.
    I haven't been there in several years so maybe it's gotten busy these days. Trail is way out of my league these days, I'd end up walking a ton of it.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    I would do Bushy Creek (one of my favorites) and Emma long if I had the day for a ride.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Some family members failed to mention they have a place in Cedar Park!

Looks like Bushy Creek should be in my future, IF the weather cooperates. I don't like riding in mud.

If it ends up being too wet I'll ride the motorcycle to Austin and leave the bicycle at home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hey, Brushy Creek weekly rider here. It's pretty wet right now and will need a day or two without rain to be ok. The bad part is that it is supposed to rain every day for the forseeable future. Here is a twitter feed that gives trail conditions by a guy who's house backs up on the park the trails are in. If there isn't an update for that day, the last update is still valid. You can easily get 20-23 miles in. The main trail is referred to by riders as Deception from when it used to be a bandit trail. Thanks to an MTB friendly Parks and Rec director and savvy trailbuilders it's legit and marked. The trail markers call the main trail 1/4 Notch and Double Down. from east to west it starts out as 1/4 notch and is mostly rocky and burly XC with a lot of the square edged shelves that Austin is known for. At around 3 1/2 to 4 miles there is a spot called Swag Rock where there is a bailout to the main trail and the difficulty ramps up. This part is Double Down. Loads more climbing switchbacks, taller shelves and generally higher difficulty. Trailforks and Strava are your friends here because there are more side trails that you don't want to skip. Look for Snail Trail, Rim Job (The Rim on signage), Dave's Ditch, Picnic and Picnic X, Mulligan and Peddler's Pass. That's all about 15-17 miles. There's another zone called Candyland that is a bit east that is straight up gnarly. PM me for details.

mtbr member
    If you wind up staying in Cedar Creek you should consider Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville. McKinney Roughs is pretty basic from what I've heard. Rocky Hill is about 30min east of Cedar Creek. There is also Freeride 512 out there at Rocky Hill.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Emma is better than ever. And it's been a motorcycle trail for decades. We are the interlopers, not vise-versa.

Brushy creek is not good to ride for at least another 8 days. Don't ride it when muddy as it really destroys the trails.

Cedar Creek is well East of Austin and it's mostly flat out there as the Hill Country starts in West Austin going West.

Rocky Hill in Smithville (about 50 miles East of Austin) is a private ranch with an honor system box to pay that is supposed to be a lot of fun.

Have fun.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    Hey, Brushy Creek weekly rider here. It's pretty wet right now and will need a day or two without rain to be ok. The bad part is that it is supposed to rain every day for the forseeable future. Here is a twitter feed that gives trail conditions by a guy who's house backs up on the park the trails are in. If there isn't an update for that day, the last update is still valid. You can easily get 20-23 miles in. The main trail is referred to by riders as Deception from when it used to be a bandit trail. Thanks to an MTB friendly Parks and Rec director and savvy trailbuilders it's legit and marked. The trail markers call the main trail 1/4 Notch and Double Down. from east to west it starts out as 1/4 notch and is mostly rocky and burly XC with a lot of the square edged shelves that Austin is known for. At around 3 1/2 to 4 miles there is a spot called Swag Rock where there is a bailout to the main trail and the difficulty ramps up. This part is Double Down. Loads more climbing switchbacks, taller shelves and generally higher difficulty. Trailforks and Strava are your friends here because there are more side trails that you don't want to skip. Look for Snail Trail, Rim Job (The Rim on signage), Dave's Ditch, Picnic and Picnic X, Mulligan and Peddler's Pass. That's all about 15-17 miles. There's another zone called Candyland that is a bit east that is straight up gnarly. PM me for details.
    Thanks for that helpful info. I'm hoping the weather changes, but it looks like right now I'm leaving the MTB at home, as I know better than to ride when its wet (and I hate cleaning mud off of the bike).

Will check back closer to next weekend. On the bright side, the rain will make for some interesting Rally Cross racing!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    How did your ride go?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    How did your ride go?
    He probably drowned on the trails. RIP mentallo!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk