Aussie in Texas- Mtbr.com

Thread: Aussie in Texas

mtbr member
    May 2010

Aussie in Texas

Hi all,
    I'm visiting Austin in September this year and would like to buy a new bike while in town any ideas for good deals and customer service. Budget is $3000 to $4500. I will be staying at Lake Travis any trails close by.
    Last edited by Hometrail; 05-10-2010 at 11:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There are plenty of places depending on the brand that you want.

http://bicyclesportshop.com/
    http://www.hammerheadbikes.com/
    http://www.cycleprogression.com/

BSS is good for buying one off the floor. If you want to buy from HH or CP, be sure to work with them ahead of time as their stock is more selective but they have higher end brands.

You can rent from BSS and the rental price will go towards your purchase, so if you want to get a good demo before you ride, that is a good place.

Let me know when you are in town, I can give you a tour of the different trails if I am in the country at the time.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Let me know when you are in town, I can give you a tour of the different trails if I am in the country at the time.

Hometrail, definitely take Austin Bike up on his offer.

You will not be disappointed.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I also second the recommendation of Cycle Progression - they are great guys with a great shop.

mtbr member
    There are definitely good trails nearby: Pace Bend, Muleshoe, the Canyonlands are the closest, but others aren't too much further. You can find where all of them are and how to get there here...along with much more info, pics, blah blah, blah...
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i'd recommend hammerhead over cycle progression. i found them to be much more helpful and welcoming.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for all the info Texas people really are friendly !!!! Can't wait to get there.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you're able, go to Waco (about 90 min N of Austin straight up Interstate Highway 35) - Cameron Park....it's flat out awesome. Lots of good climbs.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hometrail
    Thanks for all the info Texas people really are friendly !!!! Can't wait to get there.

As I said, be sure to take Austin Bike up on his offer as trail guide in ATX.

But I forgot to suggest that you check out his site, he has many, many photos of the trails in the Central Texas area. Will help you get an idea of what you are in store for.

aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Best shop in Austin.

I'm going to ride over thereto pick up some parts today actually.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    27 days to go !!! Staying with a mate from college days, in Lakeway , he tells me there is great pizza at Tony C,s ? What beer should I order ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I should be in the country for part of September. Let me know when you want a greenbelt tour. 20+ miles, lots of technical terrain, 35-40 degree temperatures. It will make you really want that beer.

Oh, and there is no real pizza in texas, you have to go to chicago for that.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I should be in the country for part of September. Let me know when you want a greenbelt tour. 20+ miles, lots of technical terrain, 35-40 degree temperatures. It will make you really want that beer.

Oh, and there is no real pizza in texas, you have to go to chicago for that.
    Yep, lakeway is right around the corner from me...you'll want to venture out of lakeway for the called ride above...and John is right about the pizza...unless you are cougar hunting. Tony C's on the weekend is quite a trip (coming from a 31 year old).

mtbr member
    27 days to go !!! Staying with a mate from college days, in Lakeway , he tells me there is great pizza at Tony C,s ? What beer should I order ?
    i dont know anything about that pizza place, but there are some good US brews you should try if you see them:

Firemans Four - a really clean blonde lager with alot of flavor. a great summer beer. This seems to be all around Austin for some reason. Brewed in Blanco, TX

Anything from New Belgium Brewery. Most people swear by Fat Tire, and while I like it, I like their Sunshine Wheat better. You should be able to find at least one New Belgium brew in most bars. This is a pretty big microbrewery out of fort COllins, colorado

Shiner - I think its a little overrated, but when in Texas, do as Texans do and drink a Shiner Bock. Or go low budget and have a Lone Star, the "National Beer of Texas", even though it basically tastes like Coors or Miller Lite.

Rahr Beer - This is brewed in Fort Worth and they have some good ones. I like their Ugly Pug Black LAger and the Rahr Red is good as well

Dales Pale Ale - dont know if any places in Austin have this on tap, but it seems to have gotten pretty popular. they sell this in cans in stores, but dont let that fool you, its a great beer from a small brewery in COlorado

Do yourself a favor (and skip the pizza!) and eat at as many Mexican places as you can while in Austin. The Mexican food in Austin is phenomenal.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    i dont know anything about that pizza place, but there are some good US brews you should try if you see them:

Firemans Four - a really clean blonde lager with alot of flavor. a great summer beer. This seems to be all around Austin for some reason. Brewed in Blanco, TX

Anything from New Belgium Brewery. Most people swear by Fat Tire, and while I like it, I like their Sunshine Wheat better. You should be able to find at least one New Belgium brew in most bars. This is a pretty big microbrewery out of fort COllins, colorado

Shiner - I think its a little overrated, but when in Texas, do as Texans do and drink a Shiner Bock. Or go low budget and have a Lone Star, the "National Beer of Texas", even though it basically tastes like Coors or Miller Lite.

Rahr Beer - This is brewed in Fort Worth and they have some good ones. I like their Ugly Pug Black LAger and the Rahr Red is good as well

Dales Pale Ale - dont know if any places in Austin have this on tap, but it seems to have gotten pretty popular.
    Fion in Bee Cave (OP, about 10 minutes from Lakeway as you come into town on 2244) has Dale's. If you want to meet up for a brew there, let me know.

They also serve Live Oak Liberation and Big Bark, very very good local brews. Hell, they have 40+ taps full of good stuff, some of it local. St. Arnolds beers are also good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Fion in Bee Cave (OP, about 10 minutes from Lakeway as you come into town on 2244) has Dale's. If you want to meet up for a brew there, let me know.

They also serve Live Oak Liberation and Big Bark, very very good local brews. Hell, they have 40+ taps full of good stuff, some of it local. St. Arnolds beers are also good.
    yea looking at the Oskar Blues website, there are quite a few Texas places that serve their beer. I actually like Old Chubb better than Dales, but theyre both very good. their brewpub in Lyons, CO is awesome. Especially after a ride in the mountains surrounding that town

I actually live in Fort Worth, so no Austin riding followed by good Mexican food and beer for me. although the Mexican food here aint bad, its not as good as Austin's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Had a shiner 101 the other night. It is a czech-style pilz. Quite nice.

since 4/10/2009
    I've recently discovered St Arnolds (out of Houston). not bad.

I have yet to find a decent pizza in TX. I've had better Mediterranean food here

Some of the best TX BBQ is in the Austin area. You'd be stupid not to try some. Yes, the Mexican food in Texas can be quite good, too.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk

I have yet to find a decent pizza in TX. I've had better Mediterranean food here

Some of the best TX BBQ is in the Austin area. You'd be stupid not to try some. Yes, the Mexican food in Texas can be quite good, too.
    as a New Mexican having lived in socal, I can only say that the TX mexican food is ok, I am just not a fan of tex-mex "cuisine."

The only things in town worth my dollar are Taco Deli and Torchy's...luckily for the OP, if he gets out for a GB ride, he can time it to get some TacoDeli in his diet.

since 4/10/2009
    as a New Mexican having lived in socal, I can only say that the TX mexican food is ok, I am just not a fan of tex-mex "cuisine."

The only things in town worth my dollar are Taco Deli and Torchy's...luckily for the OP, if he gets out for a GB ride, he can time it to get some TacoDeli in his diet.
    Ok, well for my palate (having never consumed anything remotely close to what you might find in New Mexico), the Tex-Mex stuff is plentiful and can be good. I have had some that isn't, too...but where I live, the Cajun food is better than the Mexican/Tex-Mex stuff.

meh
    tex mex > mex

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    tex mex > mex
    To each his own.

I just don't like my entire plate covered in cheese sauce or chile con carne/chile con queso. Because that is what tex mex is defined by.

since 4/10/2009
    To each his own.

I just don't like my entire plate covered in cheese sauce or chile con carne/chile con queso. Because that is what tex mex is defined by.
    It's true...cheese covers up otherwise bad food.

mtbr member
    i guess im more in the tex-mex camp. love the tex mex in Austin. New Mexican food is too heavy on the green chiles for me. they put that crap on EVERYTHING (and I like green chiles, I guess just not as much as some)

as for the BBQ....not a huge fan of Texas BBQ. County Line was alright. All the places in DFW serve subpar BBQ so far that Ive tried. Railhead and Angelos, the 2 big FW BBQ joints were really bad. i was shocked. I think Im just more into Memphis/KC style BBQ with sauce thicker than the watery crap they serve here in Texas

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk

There is no good pizza south of, um roughly, joliet.

since 4/10/2009
    There is no good pizza south of, um roughly, joliet.
    A dedicated Chicago-style pizza fan. I can dig it. I like some Gino's East, but I can't vouch for the other places. I'd probably like them, too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Lou Malnati's in chicago is the place to go. I can get it sent to austin for a little taste of home: http://www.loumalnatis.com/

But, unfortunately, they only ship the small pizzas. I need to physically go there to get the larges, but when I am back in chicago, that is usually the second stop (La Pasadita at Ashland and Division is the first - but only during daylight hours.)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for all the advise I will have to ride 6 hours a day so I can try all the food. I hope it cools down before I get there current riding temp here is 16c.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    don't get your hopes up.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advise I will have to ride 6 hours a day so I can try all the food. I hope it cools down before I get there current riding temp here is 16c.
    haha get ready for when you step off the plane and that blast furnace just punches you in the face. not pleasant.....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    haha get ready for when you step off the plane and that blast furnace just punches you in the face. not pleasant.....
    Yes, you can practice for this:
    1. Get a hairdryer
    2. Point at face
    3. "ON"

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yes, you can practice for this:
    1. Get a hairdryer
    2. Point at face
    3. "ON"
    You left out the humidifier. Austin isn't Phoenix.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just go to Matt's El Rancho for your Tex Mex. 2 margaritas and smoked chicken enchiladas will set you straight. I'd also try a local brew from 512 while your here. Their IPA is good.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I just woke up its 0c outsidewith a light frost but its supposed to get to 20c today. Texas will be a bit of a shock but I ride in 30c+ all summer.Texmex and beer sounds good,buy the way I live on a farm and yesterday I planted over 1000 chilli plants (6 varieties).
    Last edited by Hometrail; 08-17-2010 at 01:52 PM.
    Tomorrow there will be weather

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Heh, heh, he said 30. 30 would be a good day. 35 is probably a good day for august. It was ~40 yesterday.

let's just say that the same dramatic difference between 0 and 10 exists between 30 and 40

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I guess I'll have to bring my lights and ride at night when it cools down to 30c

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    that's what most of us do - ride at night (or in the mornings).

when i got in my truck today, the temp read 117F, or 47C. luckily you're going to austin, where the high temp only gets up to about 43C. haha

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Only a week to go its tuesday here so I should be picking up the new bike in Austin this time next week YEH HAAA Bugger jet lag I'll ride and sweat it out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi I'm in town, no bike yet or shoes but maybe tomorrow. Thanks to Brian at Tears of Joy for all the helpful info.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi I'm in town, no bike yet or shoes but maybe tomorrow. Thanks to Brian at Tears of Joy for all the helpful info.
    So what bike did you line up?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Looks like a Felt or Trek so far decide tomorrow

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Jet lag sucks 3.45 am, still no bike I am going to try 3 more places tomorrow HELP AUSTIN I NEED A SMALL FRAME AND SIZE 39 SHOES !!! . Hey I stumbled across the 9th st jumps today but it must have been to hot, nobody was riding, but what a great venue shame I'm to old for that stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Try Bicycle Sport Shop on Lamar Blvd. They will most likely have the most in stock.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Mission accomplished at Mellow Johnnies thanks "crash" for the great service.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Goodbye Austin off to Steamboat Co today.I had a fantastic time here, got lost on some trails had a few good crashes and played in the mud,all inall a great week.Austin is now one of my favourite places.

Members who have read this thread: 0