Apartments in Austin Area/San Marcos- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Apartments in Austin Area/San Marcos

Hi all,
    My wife and I will be moving to Austin area sometime this summer and was wondering if anybody knew of any good apartments in South Austin/San Marcos area. We would like to find a 2 bedroom that is ~650, if that is possible, and I would like to hear from a few people as to where some nicer neighborhoods in South Austin are. Thanks,
    Jamie

ouch
    Riversiidddeeee...

Kidding - stay away from the east side of 35. At least from what I remember when I was living there about 5 years ago. I also don't remember many apartments west of 35 though. San Marcos might be better. Don't take my word for fact, though. I'll let the A-townies take this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    Hi all,
    My wife and I will be moving to Austin area sometime this summer and was wondering if anybody knew of any good apartments in South Austin/San Marcos area. We would like to find a 2 bedroom that is ~650, if that is possible, and I would like to hear from a few people as to where some nicer neighborhoods in South Austin are. Thanks,
    Jamie
    You will most likely not find a 2 bedroom anywhere in austin for 650, especially if you want to be in a nice neighborhood. You'll be looking 800ish minimum for something decent, although probably more than that if you want to be in South Austin.

I have no idea about San Marcos, but anywhere you can find a 2 bedroom apt at that price will probably be overrun by drunken college students. Plus you have to live in San Marcos...no thanks. Austin is where you want to be, it's just kind of expensive to live here (compared to the rest of texas).

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah I knew that I probably would not find much in that price range, but I figured I would throw it out anyway. So where are some okay to good places in South Austin?

mtbr member
    I pay $650 for a 1br ~650ft2 or so place up on Wells Branch close to Pflugerville (which is way north). You might want to look at http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/ and look around there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    you should take a look at san marcos, it is a lot different than you might think. I half-way resent that "overrun by drunken college students" statement. I live at University Springs and it is definitely not overrun by drunken college students. The whole year there has been ONE party at my complex that I feel was out of hand. I can certainly tell you this though...don't live at the Exchange, Exchange 2, or bishop's square. There are probably a couple more to stear clear from, but those are the main ones. San Marcos is nice though, there are some trails (although not too awesome), a gorgeous river, and nice scenery.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    If you don't need a lot of room, check out the apartment's off of Camp Craft near the west lake high school. We moved out of one several months ago, and they were in the $650 - $750 price range then. Not super big, but they are in a great location, and really cheap for anywhere in Austin.

Members who have read this thread: 0