• 02-10-2007
    mtb care bear
    Anything to ride in/around Corpus Christi?
    Just moved from Austin to Corpus Christi. Is their any sort of trail to ride anywhere? Am I stuck riding on the road and on the beach? Does anybody on here live in Corpus Christi?

-Kerry
  • 03-15-2007
    Graydog
    Get a fishing rod and a surfboard.
  • 03-20-2007
    lonnie_20
    From CC but live in Houston
    id say give the pedal bike shop a visit. its across the street from Kiko's Mexican Food. I might be moving back to CC in a couple of years, and hope to have some good trails to ride by then...keep me posted with what you find out!!!
  • 04-07-2007
    dirtdober
    This isn't in Corpus but it is the closest thing around I believe, Coleto Creek Park near Victoria now has about 4.5 miles. The trail is tight with some hills thru the middle section. We've have plans for about another 3 miles but we don't have a very large workforce here around Victoria. The middle section(about 2 miles) is currently wet due to all the the rain we've had in the last coulpe weeks. I know we havn't posted this one yet on the trails page because there always seems to be something else we need to do but we are riding it. I ride it once both ways which gives me a 9 mile ride. Once it stops raining it is a fun ride again.
  • 04-08-2007
    lonnie_20
    I will have to check it out the next time i drive throught victoria....

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdober
    This isn't in Corpus but it is the closest thing around I believe, Coleto Creek Park near Victoria now has about 4.5 miles. The trail is tight with some hills thru the middle section. We've have plans for about another 3 miles but we don't have a very large workforce here around Victoria. The middle section(about 2 miles) is currently wet due to all the the rain we've had in the last coulpe weeks. I know we havn't posted this one yet on the trails page because there always seems to be something else we need to do but we are riding it. I ride it once both ways which gives me a 9 mile ride. Once it stops raining it is a fun ride again.

• 04-16-2008
    jacob300zx
    Drop in at sharpsburg rd and the I-37 acess road. Follow the jeep trail that goes along the side of the tracks to the river. It's about 2miles to the river. There is a lot of RR land there that could use more trails. Best spot I've found in Corpus to get off road. There is also a different jeep trail on the other side of the tracks that comes from the access road. I haven't explored it yet but it probably goes to the river as well. Also, on the other side of 37 from the park there is a trail that goes along the river. I only had time to go ab about 600 ft down it the other day but it looks promising. If there is anybody else on her from Corpus PM me your number. We need to get together one weekend and work in some new trails out in that area. It looks promising and there are some small hills near the river.

Jake
  • 04-17-2008
    carlton
    I'm from CC but don't ride offroad. I've heard of riders going over to lake CC dam then going downstream along the river. No promises just what I heard. There is supposed to be a group that does some urban offroading downtown on wednesday evenings. Of our 2 bike shops the Pedal would probably have the best info for MTB. They are on everhart south of South Padre Island Drive just before the Holley intersection.
  • 04-21-2008
    jumper780
    I am from Corpus but live in Killeen, TX. When I drive down there I am stuck riding my F/S with 2.3s down Ocean Drive. Dang, talk about some rolling resistance. Anyways, there is a website that shows Corpus is working on a bike trail. Try and Google bike trails in Corpus and I think it will come up. It actually shows the area by the Botanical Garden.
    There is a part of town that I used to 4 wheel at when I was younger. We used to call it "The Outback". I don't know if it is still accesible, but if you go to the end of Wooldridge Rd, past Rodd Field Rd, there is a farmfield at the end of Wooldridge. Cross that farmfield and you end up in about 250-300 acres of offroading trails. Look on Google maps and you will see what I am talking about. Also, right down the road from there, there is a place we used to call South Fork. There are more jeep trails there with some jumps.
    Please post any additional trails as I will be there again in June.
    Good luck.
  • 04-21-2008
    lonnie_20
    is there anything in the kings crossing/oso creek area? there has got to be room for some singletrack along oso creek...
  • 05-02-2008
    jacob300zx
    There is plenty of empty land.....people just need to make some trails...oso would be sweet
  • 05-05-2008
    djsiryn
    I grew up in Corpus and there isnt alot but if you go out a few miles to lake corpus christi just under the dam ther is some good single track......if its still there. I havnt ridden there since 2000'.

http://www.7161.com/css_artist.cfm?user=12202
  • 05-07-2008
    jaysly
    What about at the end of Cimarron? They have been building houses out there and it runs right alongside the Oso. I do not know how extensive the trail is but there are some Jeep tracks out there.
  • 05-07-2008
    djsiryn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysly
    What about at the end of Cimarron? They have been building houses out there and it runs right alongside the Oso. I do not know how extensive the trail is but there are some Jeep tracks out there.

I do remember there being some trails there but the sand and mud was just horrible, it was like riding though glue.:eek:
  • 05-09-2008
    jaysly
    Where is the trailhead by the dam at lake Corpus Christi?
  • 06-06-2008
    jacob300zx
    I just heard from a buddy at work that he is going all the way to where Holly dead ends and riding a trail out there. He said you end up at the beach when your done. I think I am going to check it out today.
  • 06-07-2008
    jaysly
    So, what do you think? How was the trail?
  • 06-10-2008
    lonnie_20
    Quote:

So, what do you think? How was the trail?

i second that...
  • 06-27-2008
    jaysly
    I think that I have given up on any trails here in CC. I went to the LBS the other day and one of the guys said he was "exploring the Corpus Christi ditches". Since there are no trails it is the only off roading available.
  • 06-28-2008
    Hang 21
    Non-roadie here. I've been coming down there for vacation for a number of years now and usually just end up riding on the beach. It would indeed be nice if there was some singletrack.
  • 06-30-2008
    bikerboy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lonnie_20
    its across the street from Kiko's Mexican Food.

Mmmmmmm, Kiko's. I still have never seen a bigger plate of Mexican food than their big combo platter.
  • 07-03-2008
    lonnie_20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerboy
    Mmmmmmm, Kiko's. I still have never seen a bigger plate of Mexican food than their big combo platter.

I appreciate the compliment:) ....that's my parent's restuarant.
  • 07-12-2008
    trailmeister
    Where is Coleto Creek Park?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdober

I'm in Beeville, is it on my side of Victoria?
  • 07-12-2008
    Hang 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trailmeister
    I'm in Beeville, is it on my side of Victoria?

Looks like it's on your side.
  • 07-21-2008
    jaysly
    Yesterday I went to Labonte Park as I had heard there was a trail there. Well there may have been one a long time ago but there is nothing to ride there at all. I spoke with one of the fisherman there who said that at one time there was a trail that went for a couple of miles. Very unkept and overgrowth everywhere.
  • 11-03-2008
    jcon1334
    Brand new to the forums here. Ive been riding down here with my bud from Colorado Springs on his roommate's POS Mongoose and today just picked up my 08 Specialized FSR xc Expert. We searched for some trails up around yorktown road and found some leads but all went about 200yds to a deadend into the river. Has anyone found any trails around here? I know this thread has been goin on for a while...
  • 11-06-2008
    admo619
    just reading this makes me sad.. I lived in corpus for the past 5 years.. Now Thankfully living in Austin.. I remember driving up to Austin to hit up walnut when i first started out.. then driving back down to corpus the same day.. Then i found out you can get lights for your bike.. haha:p so we had more time to ride! Mtb among a few other things was the main reason i moved To Austin.. But trying to find a trail in corpus.. i never had any luck.. about the closes thing i found was in Mathis.. Maybe about a 2 mile loop.. but bring some spare tubes.. and watch out for rusty fish hooks! IF you happen to find something .. let us know.. i often travel there to visit family.. would be nice to catch a ride while im there.
    Good luck
  • 11-23-2008
    Pedigre
    Unfortunately, the best you'll find in the CC area is rogue trails:nono:...and even that is up for debate. Corpus has the beach and all that fun in the sun stuff, you can't have everything! ;)
  • 11-25-2008
    dmonbike
    Heh. I helped mark those trails at Coleto Creek originally. I'm glad they're still around. You guys should apply for some grant money to help build more trails. Hint hint.
  • 12-01-2008
    ETP2008
    Build some of your own... sounds like it would be a blast... drag a BBQ grill out there and a cooler and get to work!!!
  • 12-01-2008
    jcon1334
    So I have been riding around, and found some motorcycle trails around Oso Bay and explored a few of those one day. Gonna go back over the next couple weeks and see how extensive these trails are...
  • 12-03-2008
    jaysly
    What are the chances of gathering some supportive volunteers and work together to get some trails here in Corpus Christi. There has to be a way to get a designated place to ride down here in the beautiful city by the bay. It was suggested to me to talk to the Army Corps and see if they have any land available and then work on grant money. If anyone is interested post here
  • 12-03-2008
    admo619
    I'm not sure how much i could be of help.. since I currently live in Austin.. But i would love to give a hand when I'm down there.
  • 12-03-2008
    Pedigre
    I'm not much closer, but hey, mini-roadtrip!!
  • 12-17-2008
    Freewillie
    I'm coming to CC in a couple of weeks, and clearly MTBing is not an option. So, I'm not going to bother bringing my bike. Do any of the bike shops rent road bikes? I'm in the process of searching for shops and will be calling around over the weekend, but I thought I'd see if you guys have any suggestions. Thanks!
  • 12-19-2008
    jaysly
    Shoreline bicycles rents bikes. They are located downtown behind the memorial Coliseum.
    Talk to RAndy (owner) or Shaun. Those two are actually the only ones that even work there so you would talk to one of them anyhow. The number is 883-8888. They seem like pretty decent guys. That is where I just bought my bike and the customer service impressed me.
  • 01-08-2009
    jaysly
    I have been pretty frustrated with the lack of mtb opportunities available here. I went exploring the oso creek area starting at the end of Cimmarron and found at least a couple of miles of trails. They seem to be jeep trails but hey it is better than nothing. Absolutely nothing technical but there is potential.
  • 02-13-2011
    29"jk
    newbe here bringing one back from the dead.
    bought a marlin a couple of weeks ago. Was down at oso creek park last sunday. Wasn't to bad. Nothing exciting but at least there was ailttle mud on the tires when I was finished. Also drove down yorktown to mud bridge. used to ride out there(years ago) before they put up that barricade. not sure but I think its private property.

I'll be out at oso park again today and see if there's any potential for new trails.
  • 02-13-2011
    29"jk
    forgot to mention that theres an area called b&r flats between aransas pass and the ferries. I used to kayak fish there alot and theres a dirt road/path that goes pretty far. It gets muddy back there if the tide has come in. I also take the jeep out there and sling a little mud every now and then.:D
  • 02-16-2011
    tussery
    http://www.kristv.com/news/bike-trai...orpus-christi/
    Looks like the area will finally be getting a trail that isn't a bandit trail.

Also posting this for anyone interested in helping clear trails.
  • 02-17-2011
    Pedigre
    interesting...
  • 02-17-2011
    jaysly
    Anybody out there have any contacts with the LBS? It would be awesome to get as many people as possible to help with this. Finally, we will have something.
  • 02-17-2011
    tussery
    Quote:

Anybody out there have any contacts with the LBS? It would be awesome to get as many people as possible to help with this. Finally, we will have something.

I originally heard about this from one of the employees at The Pedal last summer. I would hope he is telling plenty of people other than just me.
  • 02-21-2011
    atxlatino
    Cool! I lived in CC for a bit, and did only road/street rides across town through the bayfront and shoreline road. The new bike trail at CC Lake would be awesome and I'll have to check it out when I go visit the in-laws.
  • 02-23-2011
    tXbEnDeR
    Hmmmm... Would be awesome.. Moved here from Michigan, I thought I made a mistake bringing my bike down here... haha I didn't realize someplace could be so flat... It'd be nice to have an actual trail to ride.
  • 02-23-2011
    TejasMTB
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tXbEnDeR
    Hmmmm... Would be awesome.. Moved here from Michigan, I thought I made a mistake bringing my bike down here... haha I didn't realize someplace could be so flat... It'd be nice to have an actual trail to ride.

SucKs that you had to move to CC, TX from Michigan! I love Michigan, what a beautiful place, hopefully the economy bounces back one day up there so I can consider relocating!
  • 04-14-2011
    unemployedzombie
    Thanks for posting this, I've been on corpus for all my 17 years of being alive, and sadly, theres nothing here. but San Antonio isn't far off, and I hear there is some decent stuff there. :)
  • 04-14-2011
    unemployedzombie
    Quote:

Shoreline bicycles rents bikes. They are located downtown behind the memorial Coliseum.
    Talk to RAndy (owner) or Shaun. Those two are actually the only ones that even work there so you would talk to one of them anyhow. The number is 883-8888. They seem like pretty decent guys. That is where I just bought my bike and the customer service impressed me.

I just bought my bike there as well, its really cool. The Pedal, (the other legitimate shop in corpus) is really expensive, but they carry cannondale and specialized. But I really like shoreline, the guy has been in the business for a long time.
  • 07-14-2011
    tussery
    There will be a couple of trail clearing days coming up at Lake Corpus Christi State Park. Sunday the 24th and Sunday the 31st 8AM-12PM.
  • 07-16-2011
    scooby_foo
    I live in Kingsville and am new to the sport. Definitely looking for places to ride.
  • 03-05-2013
    Redaggie03
    I'm going to bump this old thread...

I am going down to Port Aransas in a couple of weeks and want to take my MTB if I can. Have any of the trails that were being developed completed? Looks like there was a bike trail and something at Lake Corpus Christi State Park.

Thanks.
  • 03-06-2013
    goodmojo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Redaggie03 View Post
    I'm going to bump this old thread...

I am going down to Port Aransas in a couple of weeks and want to take my MTB if I can. Have any of the trails that were being developed completed? Looks like there was a bike trail and something at Lake Corpus Christi State Park.

Thanks.

I drive down to port a/corpus a lot, but for kitesurfing. Corpus is one of the best places in the country for kitesurfing but probably one of the worst for mtb.

Here is a video to give you an idea of what kitesurfing in corpus is like.
    HIGHLIGHTS on Vimeo
  • 03-22-2013
    TexasDesertRat
    They are making some progress on the Oso Creek Park Trail... Doing trail building once a month, rode the semi-developed trails the other day... so-so but getting there...

• 03-28-2013
    vanjr
    Anybody do fat biking along the beach. Lots of beach available from PINS to county road? Seems very doable.
  • 08-16-2013
    carbonmsc
    Bump.

The trails at Oso Creek Park have really improved this year. There is a recent lack of funding and care that goes into the trails, and since I live very close; I occasionally go out and maintain them myself (snipping branches, cleaning paths, and breaking them in). The trail developer also lives close and pays close attention to what needs work. There was a decent turnout for the first mtb race on St. Patrick's day actually. Here's the video I made from a couple GoPro cameras.

Dirty Leprechaun Mountain Bike Rally - YouTube

There has been more and more people going out there on a regular basis, myself included; riding nearly everyday. It is definitely the best thing in Corpus and will continue to get better. Fall/Winter should really be more active. After rainfall, it is best to give it around a week for the water to settle since the dirt/sand isn't very good at handling it. When dry, it is loose, dusty, and pretty fun. Rattlesnakes have also been fairly common, NBD. :P
  • 08-17-2013
    In-Yo-Grill
    Re: Anything to ride in/around Corpus Christi?
    So you guys have to wash the crap out of your bikes after riding in the salty air.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
  • 08-17-2013
    carbonmsc
    Yeah, can't go too long without having to wash it up real nice. It is all we have (as I see it down here) and I don't mind it too much...all in all, it isn't that bad.
  • 02-19-2015
    shank3r
    I know I'm bumping an OLD thread again....

BUT...

the owner of Big Shell Bikes in Port Aransas is working on organizing a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly (that's still in the air) ride from either Port Aransas to Packery Channel or Packery Channel to Port Aransas entirely on the sand. He's done it a few times and said the direction is entirely dependent upon the wind direction.
  • 06-02-2016
    watts888
    Bumping this old thing again.

Heading to Port Aransas soon. Planned on some beach riding, but wanted to see if there is anything on the island. Can you ride a bike in the national park? I won't be able to haul a bike to Corpus Christi, so the only way for me to get to Oso Creek is to ride. Is that even possible from Port Aransas?
  • 06-02-2016
    shank3r
    It'd be a LONG ride from Port-A to the Oso Creek trails. Big Shell Bikes in Port A might still have an Origin8 scout XLT in the rental fleet. Otherwise they have mostly beach cruisers for the most part.