Anyone in San Antonio want to show someone from Tampa the ropes?- Mtbr.com
    jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007

Anyone in San Antonio want to show someone from Tampa the ropes?

Greetings,

I will be visiting San Antonio next month for a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone did any regular rides on Saturday mornings. I'll be around the Lackland area, and was interested in the Government Canyon and OP parks, but I'm open to other parks. I've been riding a couple of years and I'm in pretty good shape so I won't slow you down
    08 Churner 5Spot.

half-fast rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk
    Greetings,

I will be visiting San Antonio next month for a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone did any regular rides on Saturday mornings. I'll be around the Lackland area, and was interested in the Government Canyon and OP parks, but I'm open to other parks. I've been riding a couple of years and I'm in pretty good shape so I won't slow you down

If you don't get any response here try the "Raspa" section on Bikemojo.com. I think Sage Cycles does a Saturday morning Government Canyon ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpomtb
    If you don't get any response here try the "Raspa" section on Bikemojo.com. I think Sage Cycles does a Saturday morning Government Canyon ride.
    Meet at Sage Cycles at 8:45am Saturday
    Wheels down at 9am
    Ride to GC
    Ride all lower elevations of GC with a little of the upper trails.
    Ride back to shop.
    Free recovery drinks.

This is a 30 mile endurance ride, so the pace will be medium and the lower elevations of GC will be used mostly (less rocky) with 1 loop into the rocky technical stuff just for fun.
    Ride time will be 2:15 to 2:30
    20 minutes of road riding from shop to GC (nice wide shoulders on all except Galm Rd which has very low traffic)

Give him a call just to make sure it's on the Saturday you would be interested.
    800-BIKE-206
    Pedigre

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the PM's and replies all. The Sage Cycles ride sounds like the one for me
    08 Churner 5Spot.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdk
    Thanks for the PM's and replies all. The Sage Cycles ride sounds like the one for me

Rick and the Sage crew will give you the hook up.

Some incite on Gov't Canyon: While there are no mountains in Central Texas, you will be visiting the Hill Country. Lots of elevation change and lots of limestone. Think Tampa, then go to the other end of the spectrum. Not knocking on Tampa. Tampa is nice, I was in the St. Pete's area for the start of Stone Crab season. Yummy! Frenchies is the bomb. But GC looks nothing like the sandy beaches of the Gulf Coast.

Another ride to consider is the Social Downtown ride on 7:30p Thursdays, starting at Broadway BikeWorld. Several folks meet at 6p for some trails first.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

jdk
    Chur
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    Rick and the Sage crew will give you the hook up.

Some incite on Gov't Canyon: While there are no mountains in Central Texas, you will be visiting the Hill Country. Lots of elevation change and lots of limestone. Think Tampa, then go to the other end of the spectrum. Not knocking on Tampa. Tampa is nice, I was in the St. Pete's area for the start of Stone Crab season. Yummy! Frenchies is the bomb. But GC looks nothing like the sandy beaches of the Gulf Coast.

Another ride to consider is the Social Downtown ride on 7:30p Thursdays, starting at Broadway BikeWorld. Several folks meet at 6p for some trails first.

Thanks for the heads up. Are there any trails in GC I wouldn't want to ride on a hardtail? I'm going to have to leave my bike at home so I'm going to be riding the wife's hardtail.

I hear you about Tampa. Did you hit any of the bike parks while you were here? I like the weather in Tampa better but SA definitely has us beat as far as cuisine goes.
    08 Churner 5Spot.

Got Mojo?
    Didn't have the chance to do any cycling while in St Pete's.

I have ridden ALL the trails at GC on a rigid hartail.

They can be rough, just be ready to get out of the saddle.

Bent knees, bent elbows.......
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    In addition to Government Canyon and O.P., Flat Rock, Madrone trail, and Salado Creek are worth a visit.

GT Dirt Coalition
    JDK, I'm one of the Team Sage Cycles guys. For the most part, we are racer boi's, but usually will break up into two groups once we get to a major intersection on the back country, some folks head back down, others go further into the back country. We all meet back up on the jeep road and head back. Sage also hosts a beginner and intermediate ride, sometimes at OP, sometimes at GC.

We have atleast one with us on a hardtail, and he is FAST.

Flat Rock Ranch is also a great venue that you should hit. Very nice 26 mile trail system, a mix and match of two longer loops (upper and lower) and extra cheese.

Do contact the shop and be sure a ride is on, we have 3 March XC races (although someone is *usually* around to lead a ride on Saturdays).......

Members who have read this thread: 0