Anyone riding Inks Lake SP?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone riding Inks Lake SP?

I've only hit Inks Lake twice in the last two weeks and it doesn't appear (on Strava) that others are riding Inks lake either. RPR is by far the most popular destination in Burnet county, but Inks has very nice camping and mostly "virgin" trails to mountain bikers.

There are some fun and very technical sections worth exploring. I'd recommend full suspension, gloves and running thick sidewalls tubeless. The trails are narrow with sharp rocks and lined with cactus and yucca.

From the trailhead by Park HQ, keep left and take the "interpretive trail" route. The option left after a small drop even if it doesn't look like a trail. You will then cross a tech rock face that will give you a glimpse of what is to come. Kuddos if you don't put a foot down. Follow signs left and follow the path across Park Road 4. Say on the double track and keep left. The first Y is the beginning of Yellow Loop.

Recommended Loop: Taken clockwise (left) the Yellow Loop is the mildest, but it's still tight with technical ups and downs and has some flowy singletrack bits sprinkled in. I like the downhill on the "Scenic Views" section. Take the Y left and double track through the primitive campground. Stay left again when you see another Y. Follow this section as it turns to singletrack and have fun until you come to the Red connector (there is a trail map here). To complete the Yellow loop, take the "Scenic Views" route ahead and enjoy the scenery or bomb the carvy singletrack to rocky downhill. I recommend the later. Follow past creek bottom, turn left at the bird blind and climb up to the where you started.

The Red connector between Yellow and Blue had some gnarly narrow downhill. Dropper post and eyes out for cactus are a must.

I hit Blue Loop clockwise the first time, but can't remember if I had to hike a wall or two or not. Blue has nice shaded singletrack, technical spots as well, and access to a fun downhill/climb on a powerline easement road. I plan to scout this loop again soon.

Green Loop is out of the question. Too many scrambles up rock walls with the bike over my shoulder.

On the other side of the park, at Devi's Water Hole, there is a short lava dome to climb up and a small bit of nice singletrack as well. Read the sign and revel in the fact that you're biking on rock a billion years old. That's just cool.

Check out my rides:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/269376999 (Yellow Loop and Devil's Water Hole)

https://www.strava.com/activities/263886237 (This was my ride at Inks and I did a bit of exploring. Not all sections represented here are good for riding. Remember descriptions above)

Check out the Inks Trail Map for more context: https://hikecamphike.files.wordpress...kslakemap1.jpg

If you do ride Inks and have suggested routes, please share! My explorations and Strava segments are a work in progress.

mtbr member
    How many miles is your recommended loop?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    How many miles is your recommended loop?
    According to Strava, the Yellow Loop is 1.4 miles and the access trail is 0.7 miles.

By repeating the YL and riding to Devil's Waterhole and back, it's easy to add up a few miles. There's plenty of rock sections to practice on. I'm on a big bike and tight technical climbing is a work in progress.

We have rain all day today, but maybe I can scout out the Red connector and Blue Loop again in the next week.

mtbr member
    I suppose if you live there or you are camping there and can't get over to RPR it's something to ride. But certainly, if you are going to Burnet to ride, you would would be better served going to RPR and definitely have a lot more trail and variety riding RPR.

I few years ago hiking with my son's cub scout den we saw a couple of riders trying to climb up some scrambles that I didn't think would be much fun at all. I love technical riding, but this didn't look fun. It was the area to the SW, down the road from the main park, just across the little bridge (which is where I took this photo of a WM).

mtbr member
    A wooden bridge or a road bridge? I think I know where you're referring to. If you hadn't crossed the park road yet, then that might have been the green loop which is no fun to climb with a bike on one shoulder (and descending would be impossible).
    The Yellow is fun to me because it allows me to work on techy stuff in spots without being frustrated in the low-speed rock maze of the Reveille Peak Loop or Race Loop. Same thing with the Devil's Water Hole rock climb. It's like a scaled down Epic at RPR and great for practicing on that type of surface and grade.

I understand what you mean by preferring RPR. I'm there as often as I'm able, but it isn't open on weekdays. Inks is open 24/7 and the only legitimate place to ride trail in Burnet County after work or on days off now that we have sunlight. It's nice to have options.

mtbr member
    Wooden, trail bridge. Yes, the green loop sounds right. Don't get me wrong, I'd ride there if I lived nearby...actually, I build a whole slew of new trails to be perfectly honest.

Scratch that.

mtbr member
    Oh, nevermind I guess...I heard from said local you might have had a run in with Vol.

mtbr member
    Believe me, I've brought it up! Unfortunately I had to work a lot and then injured myself before the Enduro in Nov. I was hoping that by joining the trail work I'd earn that type of grace. I'm still looking for connections lol!
    Actually, I've met his nephew who rides there often and is lightning fast. He's a cool kid and we've talked about scouting out new DH trails off of Decision Point. I guess we'll see how that plays out over the next year.
    Until then, Inks will be my weekday muse.

mtbr member
    Run in? Oh, man. I guess I didn't know the schedule because I have most Friday mornings off and wanted ride. The gate was always open and I'd just leave my $10 in the mailbox. I was out there one Friday morning and finally got to the top of Dec. Pt. when tons of automatic fire started going off at the range. I mean it sounded like m16s. I waited until things slowed down and pedaled out and that's when he talked to me at my truck about his weekday stuff after I loaded up. He was nice about it even though I could tell he was aggravated. I understand and respect that. So, I've been very careful to stick to Saturdays and Sunday afternoons or call ahead if there's any question.
    Vol is rad for allowing so much access to his ranch. I really do hope I can build with some guys there, maintain, and even get my church involved someday with support during races and his veterans events.