Anyone here from the FT Hood area?- Mtbr.com
    Formerly mtbnoobadam

Anyone here from the FT Hood area?

There doesn't seem to be many places to ride around here besides blora and dana peak. Does anyone know of any other places that don't require an hour drive (austin)? Thanks.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Talk to ArmySlowRdr as he lives in Belton just next door to Ft. Hood. He knows BLORA and Dana Peak extremely well and would know of any other trails in the area. He frequents MTRB quite often.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Well it's maybe a 45 minute drive, but LGT (Lake Georgetown) is a good trail.
    Take 195 South out of Killeen, continue driving through Florence and then take a right on Shell RD. Eventually you will see an HEB on the right. A very short way past this HEB on the right will be the entrance to Overlook Park. Ride counter clockwise to Rusell and Hogg and back for a good workout or try to do the entire 25+ miles circling the lake (the entire rte is recommended only for well conditioned , advanced-intermediate riders). When doing the entire rte the recommended parking area is Cedar Breaks and ride in a clock-wise fashion.

One gear is all you need
    Nov 2009
    Cameron Park (Waco) is worth the drive. Probably still an hour from Killeen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Reveille Peak Ranch is worth the drive. It is in Burnett.

Formerly mtbnoobadam

thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definately have to check them out. I'm originally from north eastern washington and there is no shortage of places to ride there with the millions of acres of national and state forest land. Down here in Texas seems to be a different story though with tons of private property
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I rode lake georgetown today and I have to say that I wasn't very thrilled by it. The constant bombardment of rocks kinda ruined it for me. I guess I'm more into speed, jumps, hard climbs and some technical stuff thrown in.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Kind of hard to escape rocks on Texas trails. But yes LGT is rocky. It and Reveille Peak Ranch, Government Canyon and Greenbelt in Austin are all above average in rockiness. Of course BLORA isn't exactly rock-free. Srry you didn't have a good time. It is not my number one choice either. If I want a close ride I stick to Dana Peak and then BLORA. Walnut Creek and Slaughter Creek in Austin and Muleshoe outside of Austin are relatively fast and not too much rock BUT not oodles of tech either. Is hard to know of a just right trail close in. That's why to me they're all good My just right trail further away would be Rocky Hill Ranch---now it does have a little of everything but generally more flow than anything else around.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam
    I rode lake georgetown today and I have to say that I wasn't very thrilled by it. The constant bombardment of rocks kinda ruined it for me. I guess I'm more into speed, jumps, hard climbs and some technical stuff thrown in.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    Kind of hard to escape rocks on Texas trails. But yes LGT is rocky. It and Reveille Peak Ranch, Government Canyon and Greenbelt in Austin are all above average in rockiness. Of course BLORA isn't exactly rock-free. Srry you didn't have a good time. It is not my number one choice either. If I want a close ride I stick to Dana Peak and then BLORA. Walnut Creek and Slaughter Creek in Austin and Muleshoe outside of Austin are relatively fast and not too much rock BUT not oodles of tech either. Is hard to know of a just right trail close in. That's why to me they're all good My just right trail further away would be Rocky Hill Ranch---now it does have a little of everything but generally more flow than anything else around.
    I'll probably be sticking to dana peak for my daily rides. Where is Rocky Hill Ranch?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Rocky Hill is east of Austin a good bit in Bastrop/Smithville area. Is a good 90+ miles from Killeen.

mtbr member
    I'll probably be sticking to dana peak for my daily rides. Where is Rocky Hill Ranch?
    Here ya' go, this will answer that for ya'

click 'home' at the bottom to get more info on the trails
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    PM sent.

XC racer
    May 2005
    So what kind of shape is BLORA in these days? I have very fond memories of when it was new and the local Trailblazers club kind of ran it. Took a bunch of kids riding there around 2001 or so, raced there for years, even had a TMBRA board meeting once on picnic tables under the trees.
    And then there was a falling out of sorts between the club and the military, the races stopped, and I haven't been back since. Kind of miss going there but it's way out of my way to drive there just for an afternoon ride.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Scott (Scott S ?)--- Someone has been doing some work, especuially on the lower trails. The archery range was too close for the fast stuff nearest the lake, so things have been eleveated one contour line up. It is some sweet work, but needs some rain.

I remember Joey holding a race around 99 or 2000 that Lance participated in---then Cliff M and i were supposed to hold a race around 2003 I think---but we both came down on orders, him for deployment and me to Hawaii so it never happened...and that was the club's end too.

I am glad to see things picking up a little at BLORA and it's still a great ride--albeit rockier and rutted more than ever in the places where it's always been that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbscott
    So what kind of shape is BLORA in these days? I have very fond memories of when it was new and the local Trailblazers club kind of ran it. Took a bunch of kids riding there around 2001 or so, raced there for years, even had a TMBRA board meeting once on picnic tables under the trees.
    And then there was a falling out of sorts between the club and the military, the races stopped, and I haven't been back since. Kind of miss going there but it's way out of my way to drive there just for an afternoon ride.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Scott S, that's me. I knew Joey and Cliff from back in the day, I'm sure I know you too. I remember Lance's race. He would haul a$$, then crash, then repeat. Will Black was the king back then, he was steady that day, but Lance still nipped him at the end I think. It all kind of runs together, but I think the last race was around 2001 or '02? I think Joey's beef was that once the commander in charge of the facility saw how many people were there, he started seeing $$ signs, and made a bunch of extra demands from the race staff. They decided there were too many hoops to jump through and left it behind.
    The kid's trip I mentioned in 2001 was from a summer camp we held at Warda, a field trip to Ft Hood for the day. Three of those then 13ish year old kids now hold Pro licenses, pretty cool. Also funny how several of them got put in "timeout" at the lake for acting up a bit, good times.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Yes I have good memories of Trailblazer Club from 99-02. As I recall MWR had a big beef with racer payouts wanting a larger cut and also didn't want to allow raffles. Then Joey had some issues with MWR whom he worked for and things declined from there. Last memory I have when the club was still around, and being briefly run by the Central Texas Wheelmen, was the farewell picnic for ladies xc state champ, TJ Holmes.

But even though no club, the trails are still there. MWR still works on them on occasion, the new section of trail is fun and good to go, and all said, BLORAs still a blast---well except for when it rains--that clay content in the soil on the upper trails out there--ugh.

Next TMBRA event I'm at, maybe Mellow Johnnies, I'll make a point to say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbscott
    ....... a bunch of extra demands from the race staff. They decided there were too many hoops to jump through and left it behind.
    The kid's trip I mentioned in 2001 was from a summer camp we held at Warda, a field trip to Ft Hood for the day. Three of those then 13ish year old kids now hold Pro licenses, pretty cool. Also funny how several of them got put in "timeout" at the lake for acting up a bit, good times.

mtbr member
    Will be in the area this weekend. Are the trails open? Dana Peak specifically
    We got enough rain this past weekend to close the trails in the DFW area
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Dana peak is bone dry. I'm headed out the door now to go hit it up.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Did 2 6 n a quarter mile loops earlier ds evening. The .14 in rain we had erlier ds week did nuttin 2 d trail at all. DRY

mtbr member
    Did 2 6 n a quarter mile loops earlier ds evening. The .14 in rain we had erlier ds week did nuttin 2 d trail at all. DRY
    Saw a post about a year ago. Basically asking the same question I did above. Rain and all. You were going to Dripping Springs though. I intend on going at the EOM as well this year. Will be hitting up Dana Peak Sun before I come back up this way. Debating on weather or not to hit Cameron Park on my way down or relax and ride when I get into town tomorrow.
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i went to BLORA today. all i can say is rocky, rocky and... you got it... ROCKY! yikes! it's pretty dangerous how rocky it is there! i took the novice trail as i am just a beginner and my endurance levels are too embarrassing to even discuss, but wow... however i am a big fan of getting a pretty detailed map and seeing markings all along the trail to know where i'm going. big thumbs up for that the only other trail i've ridden is Dana Peak and it's rocky as well but not as much as BLORA. it also is lacking markings so if you get lost, you're **** out of luck (unless you keep the lake to your left the whole way out). the trails at dana peak are much "cooler" though. nice speedways, tricky turns, and some pretty nice ramps for good jumps! my next stop will be cameron park, i believe. if greenbelt in austin is as rocky as BLORA, i will not waste my time going there.

i'm living in Killeen, btw.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Let's ride sometime. FIFTREEFIFOH96SIX. I am free lots of weekends and evenings. This coming Saturday at about 9 AM I am having some friends come up from Hoston and we will ride BLORA..one of the guys is slower so we are estimating 2 hours to get around rather than the usual hour n 10 lol.

The only super dangerous part to me at BLORA is the 2d half of the medevac descent on the blue trail and then the sandy descents on the newly re-routed lower trails.

I used to ride bLORA 3X a week now about 6X a year---Dana Peak on the other hand is a 2 to 3X a week affair. FAST trails there.

Yes the Greenbelt is ROCKY. Check Walnut Creek in Austin for a smoother trail like D-Peak. Even Slaughter Creek while flat and fast and known as easy is rocky. Hard to escape that here in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by jink
    i went to BLORA today. all i can say is rocky, rocky and... you got it... ROCKY! yikes! it's pretty dangerous how rocky it is there! i took the novice trail as i am just a beginner and my endurance levels are too embarrassing to even discuss, but wow... however i am a big fan of getting a pretty detailed map and seeing markings all along the trail to know where i'm going. big thumbs up for that the only other trail i've ridden is Dana Peak and it's rocky as well but not as much as BLORA. it also is lacking markings so if you get lost, you're **** out of luck (unless you keep the lake to your left the whole way out). the trails at dana peak are much "cooler" though. nice speedways, tricky turns, and some pretty nice ramps for good jumps! my next stop will be cameron park, i believe. if greenbelt in austin is as rocky as BLORA, i will not waste my time going there.

i'm living in Killeen, btw.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I've been thinking about hitting up blora again lately since my endurance and riding skills have improved a little since the last time I rode it. It was a pretty bad experience the first time I went there(went otb and got my ear pierced by a stick lol). Is the trail still covered with fist sized loose rocks on the climbs? That made it almost impossible for me ride more than half way up any of them.

Pm me if any of you guys want someone to ride with. I'm available most evenings after 7 and the weekends. I try to ride 3-4 days a week.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Yes the fist sized rocks are still there, but if you stick to the intermediate trails, marked with blue and orange I believe, there are only two bad climbs of the bunch, the jeep road thing toward the end and then the final few series of climbs. Lots of us only make it half way up. Come out and ride with us Saturday around 9ish if ya want. I will be either in a beat up Subaru Outback with Yakima rack on top OR a sand colored Dodge Ram Laredo. 5350h9six6.

I've been thinking about hitting up blora again lately since my endurance and riding skills have improved a little since the last time I rode it. It was a pretty bad experience the first time I went there(went otb and got my ear pierced by a stick lol). Is the trail still covered with fist sized loose rocks on the climbs? That made it almost impossible for me ride more than half way up any of them.

Pm me if any of you guys want someone to ride with. I'm available most evenings after 7 and the weekends. I try to ride 3-4 days a week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i went to dana peak today and boy oh boy. i went through a path i had NEVER seen before! fast and full of nice climbs and ramps. i was airborne half of the time! i got there by accident, actually. there's a lost and found down the hill from the entrance (the way most people enter) and if you look to your left of it there's a path that looks like it's coming from the hill but it's not (at least not directly). it's a path that's right beside private property and i believe that you could access it coming from a hill but i don't know. i'll try that next time. but wow.. it was awesome. dana peak ROCKS!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    We call that fence-line trail--def the fastest of the trail at Dana Peak. I was out there at 5 or so but only did my 6 and a quarter mile loop and the cool down leg acrossed the way from the bend (parking spots). The wind was a little much today.

i went to dana peak today and boy oh boy. i went through a path i had NEVER seen before! fast and full of nice climbs and ramps. i was airborne half of the time! i got there by accident, actually. there's a lost and found down the hill from the entrance (the way most people enter) and if you look to your left of it there's a path that looks like it's coming from the hill but it's not (at least not directly). it's a path that's right beside private property and i believe that you could access it coming from a hill but i don't know. i'll try that next time. but wow.. it was awesome. dana peak ROCKS!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm not sure anyone likes LGT. Personally, I hate it. If I want punishment like that I'll stay closer to home and ride BLORA. Cameron Park is the best trail in the area. I would go there more if there was less congestion on I-35.

mtbr member
    There are plenty of people who will say they like it (LGT). Frankly, most of those that do were involved in the trail building or hanging on the sack of those that say they like it.

Personally, the only section I care for is Hogg/Russell.

Overlook to Hogg doesn't offer much at all.
    Russell to Tejas = lots of jeep trail.
    South side IS very scenic and there are a few nice sections with flow and actual technical challenge, but overall it's too rocky to be a lot of fun. It's a constant barrage of cheese graters. In small doses that is fun, at LGT, it's not - but that's just my opinion.

There is so much more in Central Texas to ride that I will probably never ride LGT again.

DP isn't my thing, but it's not bad. It's especially good if you want to go out and just ride FAST XC. It certainly has the terrain to have a lot of potential with more tech, air and downhill stuff.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Remember that day we rode LGT then treid to ride Walnut Creek right after...ugh
    Yeah LGT is a once a year or so at best excursion for me.
    I agree about Cameron and would probably go more if I was even a little closer.
    Heck BLORA is even pretty nice with the newly redone sections on the lower trail but I don't get there all that much because, well, dana Peak is only 7 or so miles from the door step---AND it's fast, easy XC.

Quote Originally Posted by RipTide01
    I'm not sure anyone likes LGT. Personally, I hate it. If I want punishment like that I'll stay closer to home and ride BLORA. Cameron Park is the best trail in the area. I would go there more if there was less congestion on I-35.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Well there goes a weekend of rides. Very disappointed. The light showers have turned into almost 4 inches in the past 5 hours. BLORA is through and likely Dana Peak too.

I guess I will have additional time to do a computer room makeover. bleh.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well there goes a weekend of rides. Very disappointed. The light showers have turned into almost 4 inches in the past 5 hours. BLORA is through and likely Dana Peak too.

ditto. right when i was going to get a new go pro hd cam

mtbr member
    ditto. right when i was going to get a new go pro hd cam
    City Park, Mule Shoe, Pace Bend should be dry enough by Saturday unless it rains after tonight.

I haven't been to RPR, but I know the country, soil, terrain - I'd expect it might even be rideable by then.

I expect that Bikemojo Voodoo will have threads with trail conditions over the weekend.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    How does BLORA & Dana Peak compare to Cameron Park? C.Park is where I ride regularly. Need to start checking other places out. Videos for BLORA/D.P. look like they may have longer descents?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Really? I rode today. It was perfect- 80 degrees and sunshine! The difference between BLORA and CP is that BLORA has more rocks. DP is a mix of fast stuff like CP and rocky sections similar to BLORA.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Where did you ride ? Dana Peak withstood that onslaught ?

Really? I rode today. It was perfect- 80 degrees and sunshine! The difference between BLORA and CP is that BLORA has more rocks. DP is a mix of fast stuff like CP and rocky sections similar to BLORA.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I could ride the roadie I suppose but won't.

Where did you ride ? Dana Peak withstood that onslaught ?

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Well? Is BLORA good to ride or is it too muddy? We're dying to head up there this Saturday!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude
    Well? Is BLORA good to ride or is it too muddy? We're dying to head up there this Saturday!
    BLORA should not be ridden until NEXT weekend. DP may be okay mid-week. However, the roads are nice and dry.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i won't be able to hit up the trails at all until next weekend i'll be in portland for business the entire week.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    BLORA should not be ridden until NEXT weekend. DP may be okay mid-week. However, the roads are nice and dry.
    Well you just burst my bubble. With as dry as it has been and the composition of the trail I was thinking DP would be dry enough by Sunday as long as it stays sunny and warm. I'll probably go check it out just in case. I'm dieing for a ride since I haven't ridden all week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    saw quite a few people at DP today. i didn't get to ride the trails because my rear tire was low on air and i didn't have a pump on me -_- but i spoke to someone there and he said it wasn't too bad out there. i'll probably be out there tomorrow i'm sure.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I think I'm gonna go out there tomorrow too. What time are you gonna be there? Maybe we could ride together. I've been looking for someone to ride with for a while.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think I'm gonna go out there tomorrow too. What time are you gonna be there? Maybe we could ride together. I've been looking for someone to ride with for a while.
    it depends on what i have planned tomorrow. i know i've got some packing to do for this trip to portland and a couple of other chores. i'm HOPING i can make it out there in the morning whenever i wake up (if i do wake up in the morning).

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Dana Peak is bone dry. I went out there yesterday and did 12 miles. I'll probably be out there again this afternoon.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Scratch that, I'm on my way to cameron park right now. Hopefully it's worth the drive.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    really ? I should head out now then. And BLOA myabe next weekend I will give a shot. I was looking for an excuse to go check out the trail.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    So cameron park turned out to have some pretty cool trails. After a little bit I realized that I needed to stick with the more difficult trails to avoid all the people. And man was there a lot of people. I felt a little sketchy going on the black diamond trails but it turned out to be a pretty good experience. I realized that I definately need to work climbing steep inclines. All in all it was a pretty good time though. I would like to go back but it would probably be better if I had someone that has been there and knows all the routes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone here from the FT Hood area?-cp.jpg  

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Highlander's a fun, switchbackie sort of trail.
    Dana Peak turned out to be awesome ds evening--got a good 12 miles. I see where light showers are in the forecast for Thursday possibly. Well that was the forecast for last week too and we got dumped on. Hopefully it is truly light to none so I can ride more..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i just got back from portland this morning. looks like it's been rainy since i was gone. i was really looking forward to riding when i got back. i did some riding in portland with some friends i met there and i realized something -- they had tracks with really nice jumps/ramps and lots of nice berms. it's exactly what i've been looking for. had a blast. i grew up bmxing when i was a kid and i've been looking for a bit of that in mountain biking -- trails a la Whistler A-line in Canada (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4iU-EOJYK8). i wonder if they could create a section of dana peak specifically (because of the greatness of that trail) or cameron park into something like that?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    not even quarter inch fell -- .21 in

i just got back from portland this morning. looks like it's been rainy since i was gone. i was really looking forward to riding when i got back. i did some riding in portland with some friends i met there and i realized something -- they had tracks with really nice jumps/ramps and lots of nice berms. it's exactly what i've been looking for. had a blast. i grew up bmxing when i was a kid and i've been looking for a bit of that in mountain biking -- trails a la Whistler A-line in Canada (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4iU-EOJYK8). i wonder if they could create a section of dana peak specifically (because of the greatness of that trail) or cameron park into something like that?

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I went out to DP yesterday to poke around a little and see if the trail was wet. It was pretty dry, there were only a couple wet spots that were pretty easily avoided. I'm gonna head out there again tonight probably around 5.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dana peak is indeed dry. some parts of it need to be primped a bit. I just got back and I've got tons of scratches from branches, etc.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I went out around mid-afternoon; only 11 miles. Was too hot, windy and humid--made it tough to breathe.

Dana peak is indeed dry. some parts of it need to be primped a bit. I just got back and I've got tons of scratches from branches, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I went out around mid-afternoon; only 11 miles. Was too hot, windy and humid--made it tough to breathe.
    same here. i ended up dismounting a few times to catch my breath. i ran out of water about halfway through too. felt like fainting out there.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Yeah the humidity definately sucked the life out of me. I was going to see if I could go for 20 miles but only made 14 before I had to call it a day. I drained the camelbak and was still thirsty. My brake issues also put a damper on my ride as well. Ever since I rode cameron park 2 weeks ago my rear brake has been making a terrible noise and vibrating throughout the bike. I got some tips on how to fix it so hopefully the next time I go out my bike won't sound like a pissed off turkey when I use the rear brake.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Are either of you guys planning on being out there this coming weekend? If so maybe we can set up a time to ride.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Sunday around 9ish at BLORA I am meeting some peeps from Houston (posts here as soccerdude),,,at the trailhead/trailblazer park parking area. We will not be riding fast--and we may hit Dana Peak too afterwords. 254-five3five-oh9six6. U and anyone else welcome to join.

Are either of you guys planning on being out there this coming weekend? If so maybe we can set up a time to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i might head over to BLORA this weekend too. i rode over a big snake yesterday at dana peak and it scared the bejesus out of me. watch out over there if you go!

btw, there's a pretty advanced (but small) trail at dana peak that you can access by climbing up a big hill near the entrance. just start at the right of the gate, pedal up a little bit and there's a big, big climb off to the left. if you don't have mountain biking shoes, get some because you'll need them to make it up that rocky hill! also be careful because there are pretty deep drops off to the right side of the trail, so keep your balance as much as possible.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    that sounds like the trail to the top of dana peak itself--it can also be accessed by going down the jeep road and veering off on one the initial rights. [lenty of my friends have tried riding down the section you describe without much success. getting up to the peak is a bike and hike affair. I've only done it twice but the view is awesome. I'd rather just stick to the top of the saddle climb and the lil climb by stone grandfather on fence-line..lol.

i have heard about snakes over the years at dana peak but only thing i ever see if those tiny rabbits and deer. blora is supposedly famous for copperheads but never saw one. also there are cougar habitat signs at blora--never saw one there but a few years ago just before daybreak at dana peak right after they started building all that new housing...... MAYBE it was JUST a bobcat

Quote Originally Posted by jink View Post
    i might head over to BLORA this weekend too. i rode over a big snake yesterday at dana peak and it scared the bejesus out of me. watch out over there if you go!

btw, there's a pretty advanced (but small) trail at dana peak that you can access by climbing up a big hill near the entrance. just start at the right of the gate, pedal up a little bit and there's a big, big climb off to the left. if you don't have mountain biking shoes, get some because you'll need them to make it up that rocky hill! also be careful because there are pretty deep drops off to the right side of the trail, so keep your balance as much as possible.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I almost wrecked last time I was at DP because of a big freakin snake. I was paranoid the rest of the time I was riding after that encounter. I have had a terrible fear of snakes since I was 15 and one of my best friends almost died from a rattlesnake bite while we were hiking well over an hour drive from the nearest hospital. I didn't have a license yet since I was only 15 and I had to drive his truck with him in the passenger seat having seizures. Very scary.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    I almost wrecked last time I was at DP because of a big freakin snake. I was paranoid the rest of the time I was riding after that encounter. I have had a terrible fear of snakes since I was 15 and one of my best friends almost died from a rattlesnake bite while we were hiking well over an hour drive from the nearest hospital. I didn't have a license yet since I was only 15 and I had to drive his truck with him in the passenger seat having seizures. Very scary.
    where were you when you saw it? i wish i knew the map well so i could describe where i was. from the entrance, go straight down where you see the "vehicles prohibited" sign on the left. take that left. follow that trail all the way through and take the next left where the big drop is. follow that trail and take the third right i believe it is. it'll take you into a heavily wooded area and eventually it'll take you into what looks like a dead end (tons of leaves, weeds, branches, stickers, etc. everywhere). if you look a little to your left you'll see where the trail continues again. hop over all of that crap that's on the ground and pray to god that the stickers don't scratch your legs up to death, then follow that trail. right where that thing starts is where the snake was. just sitting there. i saw it and pedaled as fast as i ever have in my life. LOL. god i was afraid that that thing was going to be pissed and chase me down, but i highly doubt it was in that kind of condition after having had me ride over it with two wheels.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    where were you when you saw it?
    It was on the outback trail right before where the little stack of logs are across the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It was on the outback trail right before where the little stack of logs are across the trail.
    yep! i think that's it. that's where i was. i am NOT going through that way again.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Dont you about have to go that way to go out to the bench. Anyway I only go out there 3 or 4 times a year on that rte--most of the time I'm content doing a couple 6 and a quarter mile laps.

Tonight on the way to the parking lot I saw a huge snake slithering across the road. ugh--scared of em too.

yep! i think that's it. that's where i was. i am NOT going through that way again.

mtbr member
    Hey, fellas. I live in the Temple/Belton area and usually hit DP Tues. and Thursday afternoons and Saturday mornings. Would like to hook up with ya some time.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

A recent vid of riding on Ft Hood trails.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/24444795?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;a utoplay=1" width="398" height="224" frameborder="0"></iframe>

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/24444795?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;a utoplay=1" width="398" height="224" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    looks like it exhausted you guys pretty good

mtbr member
    May 2011
    any of you guys have clipless pedals? i got a pair of shimano 540s and i've attached one to my shoe, but it's incredibly difficult to get it off. i was snapped it on without attaching it to the bike, btw. so i've got a shoe with a pedal attached to it :T how do i take this thing off?!

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    you have to twist the shoe/pedal as if the pedal is on the bike and you are twisting your heel out away from the bike. I smiled when i read your post because i did the same thing a while back you may have to attach the pedal to the bike with the shoe still attached because it takes a suprising amount of torque to twist them apart by hand. good luck

mtbr member
    May 2011
    you have to twist the shoe/pedal as if the pedal is on the bike and you are twisting your heel out away from the bike. I smiled when i read your post because i did the same thing a while back you may have to attach the pedal to the bike with the shoe still attached because it takes a suprising amount of torque to twist them apart by hand. good luck
    yeah i never was able to get it off with my hand i put it on the bike and it snapped off pretty easily with my foot. it's crazy how that works thanks for the tips!

on another note, i my new kenda excavator tire just came in yesterday. can't wait to shred up those berms with that baby

any of you guys have any cool non-stock parts on your bikes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Are you talking about the trail that goes from the lost and found over to the fire road climb by that old camp?

Members who have read this thread: 0