Anyone doing the Austin Rattler 100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Anyone doing the Austin Rattler 100

Signed up for the race in the hope to qualify for Leadville. I'm sure I'll live to regret the decision.

Who else is riding this race?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    just saw this, looks like a fun relay ride, im in nowhere near good enough shape to do 60 miles solo

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm not in shape either. At least not yet. As a long-time roadie, I could race 60 miles with little notice and still average 20+ mph. I'm lucky now to be anywhere near 9-10mph when trail riding. So the goal is to pin it for 6+ hours and still have energy to finish as a solo rider. Just a small taste of what Leadville will be like.....without the altitude.

I was hoping someone more familiar with race track would chime in about what to expect. Advertised as 50% fast and 50% dirt road. I guess I need to plan a trip to Rocky Hill ranch soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    there aren't very many technical sections, lots of fast single track with frequent ups and downs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Plan B

I also signed up for the Austin Rattler in the hopes of qualifying for Leadville and will probably also live to regret it. I did Leadville last year but no luck getting in this year (even with a 5th place finish in my age group - was hoping for a lucky break). I mainly race mountain bikes (cat 1 - USA Cycling) and am leery on the amount of dirt road on this course. Anyone done this race before? I'm sure it will be a nightmare for me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    there aren't very many technical sections, lots of fast single track with frequent ups and downs.
    Was it generally a large race before it became a qualifier?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hvmtb View Post
    Signed up for the race in the hope to qualify for Leadville. I'm sure I'll live to regret the decision.

Who else is riding this race?
    I posted on the bottom that I signed up yesterday after receiving my "regrets" letter from Leadville. I'm sure I will live to regret this also as I mainly race mountain bikes and see that it's 50% dirt road (the Leadvilles' dirt road sections suck!). Any idea how big this race will be?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    For those interested the course is now marked and there will be a pre-ride Wednesday 2-22 at 8:30 am. Dave Wiens will be in attendance as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0