Anybody ride Colorado Bend State park? - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    Is this a singlespeed-able trail or a full suspension/geared trail? Any idea of what it is similar to in the Austin area?
    I'm not any kind of authority on SS riding, but I would say that some of the trails would be fine on the SS (Lemons, Lively Loop, River Trail). However the vast majority of the most scenic and technical trails (Tinaja, Dog Leg, Gorman Falls, Spicewood) which would not want to be missed, I cant imagine wanting to do on anything less than a geared, full suspension rig. I came away with a pump on my triceps, left hamstring and lower back pain from being pummeled on the rocks like I haven't experienced in a long time. Of the few trails I have ridden in Austin, I would agree with Bamwa in that it reminded me of Lake Georgetown. Although I've not made an entire loop at LGT, the sections that I have done, longest being around 18 miles, left me plenty tired. At points the rocks can be un-relenting!!

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Areas of the park are reminiscent of Sidewinder, rattlesnake, cheese grater.

Magically Delicious
    Where do most of those riding park?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    Areas of the park are reminiscent of Sidewinder, rattlesnake, cheese grater.
    Thanks, that tells me what I needed to know. Sounds like squishy is the way to go. I'd hate to get that far out and realize I had the wrong bike.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I always thought Singlespeeders viewed all trails singlespeed-able.
    Generally that is true, but here in Austin I would never ride City Park and some of the other unmentionables on a singlespeed. Other than that, yeah, anything here can be ridden on a singlespeed.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    I've parked down by the camping the first time and first lot on the left when you enter the park the second time. Really depends on your planned route. There are suggestions in this thread for best routes and must hits.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Went back for more awesome trails this past Tuesday Dec. 13th. This time the wife came with me. She has been off the bike for the last couple of months due to school and work, so i put together a shorter, mostly easier route with her in mind. Parked at the far south-west lot at the bottom of Spicewood Canyon Trail down by the river.

Parking lot>>River Trail>> (up) Old Gorman Road>> Cedar Chopper (counter clockwise)>> Lemon Ridge Pass>> Spicewood Canyon>> Cold beer!

Ended up with 11 miles...Very do-able for her with the exception of Spicewood! In my defense, it has been a couple of years since I have ridden it... For reference, Spicewood lulls you in seemingly harmless with a few rocks here and there, and once you've gone too far to turn back, it opens a can of whoop a$$ on you! I would call it black diamond in places requiring total focus. In retrospect, I would have had her take Lemon Ridge Pass back down to the River Trail, then back to the parking lot. Still had a great time, weather was right around 60 deg. The drive to the park from my house is 134 miles. At 260ish miles round trip, it's totally worth it (twice in two weeks)!

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/p...4507_0140n.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    Speaking of wildlife, I saw a Aoudad sheep with kid out here once during a ride. That thing was HUGE.
    Attachment 1108321
    Hey dimitrin, I'm pretty sure we saw a couple of these guys when we got there around noon. From the lot below Spicewood Canyon, they were up at the top of those steep rock cliff walls across the river... Pretty cool!!

mtbr member
    I saw a family of audad sheep out there in person near the Tinaja. It was really cool. We ride 15 miles out there yesterday and it was great like always.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Making me mad my pop up's been out of commish.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12