Any trails to ride in the wet in Houston?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2006

Any trails to ride in the wet in Houston?

Well it looks like mother nature is working hard at having the trails at Memorial Park and the Anthills closed for the weekend due to the rain so does anyone know of any trails around Houston that don't close due to the rain or am I stuck just training on the road?

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    Well the Anthills never "close" but I would not ride on them when they are wet and I would hope that no one else would either. You are pretty much stuck training on the road or you could ride the Hershey Park paved trail on the other side of the bayou from the Anthills. Good luck.

Jan 2006
    I ended up at the Anthills with a local that new the trails on Saturday afternoon and most of the trails were fine and not muddy at all we only had to avoid one trail due to the mud so it turned out well.

I'm just spoiled seeing how I grew up living next door to a a national park and other bushland (forest to you Americans) that had lots of trails that were just about always rideable even in the wet, the trails never really degraded that much sure there was a rutt here & there but no serious erosion or anything so there must be something unique to the trails around Houston that makes them fragile like the soil composition or something.

mtbr member
    I rode the Anthills Sunday and they were in suprisingly good shape. Very little mud.

Hopefully Memorial opens up today...I'm going to give it a shot this afternoon.

I think the Houston soil is a combination of soft soil and relatively high rider volume in a very small area...ie Memorial Park.

The Anthills are usually in better shape but don't have the rider volume.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    About 1 hour north of Houston is the Double Lake Recreation Area. It has some easy trails that dry really well. Nothing technical and not much climbing. It's a good ride if you're a beginner or if you like to go fast.

Members who have read this thread: 0