• 09-28-2011
    magzx12r
    Any reason to keep hardtail?
    I just ordered a full suspension 29er (Trek Superfly 100) for trail riding in the Houston area, mostly Memorial Park. Are there any trails in the area where a 26in hardtail would be advantageous. I am trying to decide whether to keep my hardtail or trade it in when the 29er comes in. The hardtail is in good shape, but I am not sure I need two mtn bikes.

BTW, I used to race and am getting back into mtn biking after ~10 yrs off.
  • 09-29-2011
    dburatti
    Quote:

Originally Posted by magzx12r View Post
    The hardtail is in good shape, but I am not sure I need two mtn bikes.

Congrats on the Superfly 100! That's a great bike.

As far as owning two mountain bikes, I say keep it. If you don't already have a bike to ride around town in, that would make a good one. Plus, if someone is visiting and wants to borrow a bike, you can set him or her up. If you find yourself not using it, you can always sell it later.

D
  • 09-29-2011
    clewttu
    if you dont need the money, its always good to have more bikes!
    as mentioned, its nice to have a town bike as well as mtn bike, also good to have to get friends out for their first time or as a spare in case the superfly is down for maintenance or whatever
    but as for trail riding, you probably wont go back to the hardtail with the new rig in possession
  • 09-29-2011
    pleepleus
    Keep it. Sooner or later the new bike will be down for repairs or maintenance. You will be glad you did.
  • 09-29-2011
    Andy Pancroft
    +1 on the extra when the other is in for service/maint!!! Also, think of those who have multi choices...SS, HT, DH, FR, rigid, etc.
  • 09-30-2011
    selector
    Sell the HT and buy service tools/stands and you'll never have down time!!!!
  • 10-02-2011
    magzx12r
    Quote:

Originally Posted by selector View Post
    Sell the HT and buy service tools/stands and you'll never have down time!!!!

Good point, but over the years I have built up a good set of tools and a stand.
  • 10-02-2011
    joytron
    Ride the superfly first and make the decision for yourself.
  • 10-02-2011
    magzx12r
    Thanks for the feedback. I plan to keep the hardtail. I will use it for neighborhood rides with my wife/kids and also when I take my son mtn biking.
  • 12-29-2011
    wheelbender6
    Keep the HT so you can take a chum with you.
  • 12-30-2011
    amgine
    I bought a Kona Steely a couple weeks ago. LOVE my steel hardtail. My aluminum FS feels neglected.
  • 01-02-2012
    SoCalGuero
    Keep it for McAllister....or introduce a friend to the sport.
  • 01-02-2012
    kikikuku
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    I bought a Kona Steely a couple weeks ago. LOVE my steel hardtail. My aluminum FS feels neglected.

How does weight differences affecting your riding's experience ? I've always thought steel heavier than aluminum, thus requiring more input :) :D Im also considering buying another HT.
  • 01-03-2012
    HAL 9000
    get a 29" SS hardtail
  • 01-05-2012
    irideiam
    The more bikes, the more variety in riding. I took my old Cannondale rigid M&00 mountain bike and made it into a hybrid for neighborhood cruising an conditioning....
  • 01-15-2012
    HMFIC
    I can't get away from Mark!
  • 01-16-2012
    amgine
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikuku View Post
    How does weight differences affecting your riding's experience ? I've always thought steel heavier than aluminum, thus requiring more input :) :D Im also considering buying another HT.

The steel doesnt "chatter" as much as aluminum so it feels smoother on the rough stuff. The weight only really affects me or is noticeable when im trying to hop stuff. Otherwise the bike is great.
  • 01-16-2012
    chardog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    get a 29" SS hardtail

Get a full rigid SS 29er. There are no mountains, much less rocks, in Houston.;)
  • 01-16-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chardog View Post
    Get a full rigid SS 29er. There are no mountains, much less rocks, in Houston.;)

Some of us venture beyond Harris county to ride therefore front suspension is godsend when riding in various terrain on your SS hardtail all day.

If i want to ride full rigid offroad i have a cyclocross bike for that...