Any qualified bike mechanics in S. Austin interested in side work putting together...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Any qualified bike mechanics in S. Austin interested in side work putting together...

I thought I was a mechanic. I have no issues rebuilding engines and what not, but I'm just lost when it comes to putting together my new Yeti frame up and I'm concerned I'm going to hurt it.

I can do all the larger stuff like cranks/ wheels/ forks but it's mainly running the cables I'm stuck on, as well as dialing in the rear derailer.My frame is new but my parts are used.

Anyone local I could pay about $80 that knows what they are doing? I'd expect about 2 hours of your time to make certain it is completed correctly although it would likely take less time.

PM me if interested.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would highly recommend that you just take your time and learn to do it yourself. It is a bad idea to depend on others to fix your bike, no one is going care for your bike the way you will. I have a friend that has a lbs mechanic do all the work on his bike. What it usually results in is me fixing all the shoddy work at the trailhead before a ride. There are times when you will need to do some of this stuff out on the trail, and mechanics aren't going to come out to you. Get a book on bike repair, or spend some time on the park tool website. If you can rebuld an engine than this stuff is kid stuff.

Repair Help Articles | Park Tool

https://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Moun...ke+maintenance
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Nothing wrong with getting an assist from an experienced wrench the first go around. Better to spend for the education than replace parts you messed up.

Sorry I can't point you to someone to help you out.

mtbr member
    Try this place: The Austin Yellow Bike Project, I have not been there but if it's anything like the one in Reno they will have bike stands, tools and people to help. My daughter used to go there when she was in Reno and now does everything except rebuilding shocks on her own.

(sorry if this is no where near where you live, I am not familiar with Austin)

since 4/10/2009
    Any particular reason you haven't gone to a shop for this? I don't know the typical rates for this sort of thing in Austin, but where I live, it's significantly less than the $80 you're offering here, unless you're also asking for said person to walk you through the process.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by donutnational View Post
    Try this place: The Austin Yellow Bike Project, I have not been there but if it's anything like the one in Reno they will have bike stands, tools and people to help. My daughter used to go there when she was in Reno and now does everything except rebuilding shocks on her own.

(sorry if this is no where near where you live, I am not familiar with Austin)
    I'll drive from CA if your daughter will work on my bike!
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks guys.

Maybe I just needed to sleep on it. After realizing that my B2 Reverb dropper line and brake line would need to be replaced everything suddenly came together very easily. Thanks again. Now I'm just waiting on a couple of parts to arrive to complete it.

A friend of mine recently totaled his frame when he over tightened some linkage, so I guess I had a little fear of hurting my new baby.

mtbr member
    That's why manufacturers publish torque spec sheets and why they make torque wrenches Buy yourself a mini torque wrench that cover from 3-20Nm and along with whatever you have for auto, you should be covered. If you don't want to spend on a proper torque wrench a lot of companies offer preset torque keys in the common specs most bikes use 4,5,6 Nm.

Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    A friend of mine recently totaled his frame when he over tightened some linkage, so I guess I had a little fear of hurting my new baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Pay the local shop to do it correctly.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'll do it correctly, albeit slowly.

I have ordered several tools and some other parts I need. That's the frustrating part, the wait.

I was quoted 'about $300' from the one local bike shop by the way to assemble the bike. It turns out about $100 of that is in materials I'll need anyways but the rest is money I can put towards tools.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Any particular reason you haven't gone to a shop for this? I don't know the typical rates for this sort of thing in Austin, but where I live, it's significantly less than the $80 you're offering here, unless you're also asking for said person to walk you through the process.
    Rates here are pretty high. Not sure what internal cable installation and derailleur adjustment costs, but I've routinely seen ~$100 fees to install a headset and fork (not including cutting a steerer or installing a star nut, another $15 - $30 each), or similarly ridiculous costs for 10 - 15 minutes worth of work. It's so expensive that there's virtually no service that I can't go and buy a park or other shop quality tool so I can do it myself and still save money...
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Rates here are pretty high. Not sure what internal cable installation and derailleur adjustment costs, but I've routinely seen ~$100 fees to install a headset and fork (not including cutting a steerer or installing a star nut, another $15 - $30 each), or similarly ridiculous costs for 10 - 15 minutes worth of work. It's so expensive that there's virtually no service that I can't go and buy a park or other shop quality tool so I can do it myself and still save money...
    I usually see full bike assembly fees in the $65 range where I live. Now if you just give them a box of parts, they usually charge a shop hourly rate, but for the typical "boxed bike" type build, that's where I tend to see it priced out. So considering you've slapped everything on there already and are just looking for a final check and tuning, I'd expect no more than that, to be honest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Get everything figured out? I may not be a professional (sic I won't expect payment), but I've been working on my own bikes for a while and can help you get your final adjustments dialed in. I'm coming to San Antonio this weekend. PM me if your interested and I'll get you my cell number!
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp - Lyrik RC2DH
    Rollin' on 26's

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the offer speedoflife.

Really, I'm confident I can do it and do it correctly now. I have struggled with the shifting alignment in the past so if I can't get it dialed I'll run down to the local bike shop and pay the $10 or whatever to get it all dialed in.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It took me like 15 hours (spread out over several days) and one trip to the bike shop for a derailer adjustment but the bike is ready to ride. Now I just need it to warm up!

Any qualified bike mechanics in S. Austin interested in side work putting together...-yeti-5.5.jpg

Thanks again!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    It took me like 15 hours (spread out over several days) and one trip to the bike shop for a derailer adjustment but the bike is ready to ride. Now I just need it to warm up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yeti 5.5.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	1111191

Thanks again!
    Very nice.

I can't believe the speed of the temperature drop on Saturday. I left my house and it was over 70 degrees and literally dropped something like 45 degrees in about 15 minutes.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Want me to take a second look at your work?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Very nice of you to offer, but I'm good. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    that doesnt seem right. BSS charges about 15-20 to install a headset. Since I do headsets and bottom brackets so infrequently (every 3 years?) i havent bothered to buy the tools. I do every other aspect of maintenance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have had good experiences at several local shops with maintenance, especially BSS. I can not complain about the shop prices at all.

They off hand quoted me 'about $300' for a complete bike assembly. If a fast mechanic could do it in 2.5 hours plus the $70 in new cables that had to be purchased, that's in the ballpark.

Either way, it's really not that hard once you take your time and look at the parts carefully and I'm glad I did it.