The Anthills thread.

Printable View

• 12-23-2011
    Gary H
    The Anthills thread.
    Why not? It's no longer a secret anymore.

My name is Gary and have been riding there off and on since the Trek Y5 in 97. I'm currently riding a Fuel EX8 and am old, fat and slow.
  • 12-23-2011
    Bill in Houston
    :in unison: "Hello, Gary."

My name is Bill, and I have known about the anthills for over a decade, but only recently bought a bike and rode the trails. It is an awful, cheap, bike, and I won't even say the name of it here, and I love riding it.

I won't be hitting the trails anytime soon due to family stuff, but maybe people can check in the day or morning before they ride, and we can meet up sometime in the future.
  • 12-24-2011
    Gary H
    Howdy Bill.

Freeking rain. A year of drought, and now all this rain. :madman:

I'm so bored I'm looking for red anodized bolts. lol
  • 12-24-2011
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    I'm so bored I'm looking for red anodized bolts. lol

wow, i almost just dozed off just READING that. You must be REALLY bored. :)

take your bike and a couple of pieces of lumber to a covered basketball court and practice low-speed skills? :D
  • 12-24-2011
    amgine
    Hello my name is Jason I started riding and learned about the anthills in June and have been riding them as much as possible since then.

I switched from a gun hobby to a bike hobby (which is surprisingly cheaper) and I've bought too many bikes already.

And this rain is really frustrating. I'm trying to ride my trainer indoors to do something.
  • 12-24-2011
    FNFAL
    Amgine, I shoot IPSC and Three-gun. I understant completely.

I haven't been out to the anthills. I want to give it a shot though.
  • 12-24-2011
    bobdole
    A great way to give back to the trails you love and to have the opportunity to help shape them into great trails is to join in on the work parties. Send an email to [email protected] and I'll get you added. We have some big bridge and re-route projects coming up in the early part of this next year as well as the general maintenance of the trail.
  • 12-29-2011
    Bill in Houston
    i'll be out there sometime later this morning. if you see a tall guy on a white bike, holler at me.
  • 12-29-2011
    Go! Ninja Go!
    I looked for you last time. Saw another tall guy on a white bike, but it wasn't you.

Still can't believe I haven't met AmginE. He doesn't recognize this SN though.
  • 12-29-2011
    Golf Nut
    I just recently heard about the Anthills in October when I was researching a new mountain bike purchase. I purchased a Scott Scale 29 Elite and have ridden the Anthills once since then.

I may try to get out there tomorrow... how are the trails? Are they muddy after the rain we've had recently?

Regards.
  • 12-29-2011
    Bill in Houston
    the trails are in two categories -
    trails that were flooded by high water in the bayou - this is most of the lower trails - they can get pretty sloppy, but some stretches aren't too bad...
    trails that were not flooded - this includes the upper trails and some of the lower - these are fine. damp but not gross at 11AM today.
  • 12-29-2011
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Go! Ninja Go! View Post
    I looked for you last time. Saw another tall guy on a white bike, but it wasn't you.

Still can't believe I haven't met AmginE. He doesn't recognize this SN though.

Thanks for trying! At least you met SOMEone. :)

What's an SN?
  • 12-29-2011
    Gary H
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Golf Nut View Post
    I just recently heard about the Anthills in October when I was researching a new mountain bike purchase. I purchased a Scott Scale 29 Elite and have ridden the Anthills once since then.

I may try to get out there tomorrow... how are the trails? Are they muddy after the rain we've had recently?

Regards.

They should be fine in most areas due to the sand content and how well it drains there.
  • 12-30-2011
    Go! Ninja Go!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Thanks for trying! At least you met SOMEone. :)

What's an SN?

Screen name. This is the only forum I use this name on. AmginE and I have both been on a local car forum for 10+ years though. Well have. I'm pretty sure he's been on there forever too.
  • 12-30-2011
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Go! Ninja Go! View Post
    Screen name. This is the only forum I use this name on. AmginE and I have both been on a local car forum for 10+ years though. Well have. I'm pretty sure he's been on there forever too.

Ah, thanks. I thought that somehow it meant the name you use here, but couldn't work out the two letters.
  • 12-30-2011
    Golf Nut
    I think I will be going for a ride around lunchtime today. Where to park and enter the Anthills? Beltway 8, Dairy Ashford, Hwy 6... I can't decide!
  • 12-30-2011
    Bill in Houston
    i'll prolly head out from DA around noon.
  • 12-30-2011
    Golf Nut
    When heading out from DA, do you go towards Beltway 8 or towards Hwy 6? Trying to figure out which way to go.

I will probably be there closer to 12:30 or 1:00... Need to find a pair of mtb shorts first!!!
  • 12-30-2011
    Gary H
    Quote:

When heading out from DA, do you go towards Beltway 8 or towards Hwy 6? Trying to figure out which way to go.

I will probably be there closer to 12:30 or 1:00... Need to find a pair of mtb shorts first!!!

Definitely towards 8. :thumbsup:
  • 12-30-2011
    Golf Nut
    Heading to the DA lot now...
  • 12-30-2011
    Gary H
    Find the bowl?
  • 12-30-2011
    Golf Nut
    Quote:

Find the bowl?

Maybe, can you describe it? I went in at Dairy Ashford, went toward Beltway 8, got past Wilcrest then did some of the paved trail. Turned around just before Beltway 8 and went back to Dairy Ashford.

There is an area just inside Wilcrest that has lots of jumps and stuf... Is that the bowl?
  • 12-30-2011
    Gary H
    Quote:

Maybe, can you describe it? I went in at Dairy Ashford, went toward Beltway 8, got past Wilcrest then did some of the paved trail. Turned around just before Beltway 8 and went back to Dairy Ashford.

There is an area just inside Wilcrest that has lots of jumps and stuf... Is that the bowl?

That's a pretty good ride. If you checked out the many different trails on the uppers and lowers, you may have gotten in 12-15 miles just in the dirt. They are sometimes hard to find during the summer due to the bush growth, but during the winter the rarely used trails should be easy to find. :thumbsup:

Yes on the Bowl.
  • 12-30-2011
    Gary H
    I'm trying to kick this cold/flu thing out, and wanna ride. I hope it will help. If I'm feeling better, I'll park at the Memorial pl around 7:30am if anyone wants to meet up.
  • 12-30-2011
    Golf Nut
    Quote:

That's a pretty good ride. If you checked out the many different trails on the uppers and lowers, you may have gotten in 12-15 miles just in the dirt. They are sometimes hard to find during the summer due to the bush growth, but during the winter the rarely used trails should be easy to find. :thumbsup:

Yes on the Bowl.

I use an application on my EVO 3D called iMapMyRIDE to track and log my rides and if the app and GPS radio are accurate down on the trails, then today's ride was 10.54 miles, took 1 hour, 17 minutes and 38 seconds, and burned 838 calories. Avg speed was 8.15 miles per hour.

Those jumps at the bowl look gnarly. I did not attempt any of them. Not sure me and my bike are up for that yet. Just getting back into biking.

I did a mix of upper and lower trails today. A couple of the upper trails near Lakside Country Club had trees blocking the trails, and I was not able to clear them. And one of the lower trails was pretty slimy/slippery, caused me to get some nice tree bark rash on my left forearm.

Good times today all in all.
  • 12-30-2011
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

Today I went toward 6 first, a little past Eldridge, came back, and went to Wilcrest. I'm a glutton for punishment...

Quote:

Need to find a pair of mtb shorts first!!!

Wait, what kind of shorts am I sposta be wearing? ;)

Quote:

Yup.

Someone is intentionally laying branches across the trail. The intentional ones were most prevalent between Kirkwood and Wilcrest. Not cool.
  • 12-30-2011
    Golf Nut
    Quote:

I'm trying to kick this cold/flu thing out, and wanna ride. I hope it will help. If I'm feeling better, I'll park at the Memorial pl around 7:30am if anyone wants to meet up.

Where exactly is the Memorial parking lot? Not sure I will be able to get out tomorrow morning, but would like to know where that lot is.

Thanks!
  • 12-30-2011
    Gary H
    Quote:

Where exactly is the Memorial parking lot? Not sure I will be able to get out tomorrow morning, but would like to know where that lot is.

Thanks!

Slightly west of Eldridge. On the north side.
  • 12-30-2011
    Houtexjeff
    It's about 1 mile east of Hwy 6 on the left or 1/2 mile west of Eldridge on the right
  • 12-30-2011
    MD_TX
    Not sure how the NYE partying will affect this plan....but will try to go out around 7am Sunday. Got my new bike in right before Christmas so will be giving it a break-in. I'm hoping the last few days of sun has dried stuff up a bit.
  • 12-31-2011
    Gary H
    I think it's still gonna be a little wet on the trails. Maybe not enough to mess up the trails, but your tires are going to load up and traction might be a little scary. Especially on the roots. When the ground is like this, all greasy, I won't even ride the paved trails. I live near 6 and Westheimer and have never been ashamed to ride the levee to 10 and back. It might be a little boring, but I see it as an opportunity to get some miles in and work on "Spinning".
  • 12-31-2011
    rr
    I haven't ridden or seen the Anthills since I moved 13 years ago, please post some pics!

I started riding there over 20 years ago when I got into MBing, lived close by until I moved up to Colorado Springs. Used to do a loop where I rode to hwy 6 on Briar forest then towards I-10 and back thru a business park off Memorial then a bike path to the western edge of the Anthills, then the trail to Dairy ashford.

Would love to do that ride again just for the memories -Rick
  • 12-31-2011
    Bill in Houston
    here's a bad video. not sure if my son's FB acct is set up so you can see it...
    https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnm...=2327215751171
  • 12-31-2011
    Gary H
    3 Attachment(s)
    The Anthills.
  • 12-31-2011
    rr
    Thx, Bill I don't FB so I can't see the vid but nice pics Gary, miss the buff ST thru the trees!
  • 12-31-2011
    Gary H
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    Thx, Bill I don't FB so I can't see the vid but nice pics Gary, miss the buff ST thru the trees!

Here's a boring video I did.

anthills - YouTube
  • 01-01-2012
    amgine
    Think they're still wet? I rode Memorial Friday and it was tacky.
  • 01-01-2012
    Bill in Houston
    I'm going to go out tomorrow afternoon if I get my way... I expect that if the sun is out they will be fine by then. Some of the chronic wet spots will still be soupy, though.
  • 01-01-2012
    amgine
    I went this afternoon. Beautiful day, some wet spots but nothing serious. Watch out for the walkers, almost plowed into a few of them. ("On your left!" They jump left)

I hope to go again tomorrow.
  • 01-02-2012
    kikikuku
    Got into mtb since may last year, been riding the trail ever since. start from 8 to 6 then return on the paved road. Holla if you see a scott aspect 45 :) ^_^ :thumbsup:
  • 01-02-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    ("On your left!" They jump left)

Yeah, when I am riding the paved side, I usually drive off into the grass far away from the walkers and don't bother saying "on your left".
  • 01-02-2012
    amgine
    This happened on the anthills.
  • 01-02-2012
    Bill in Houston
    oh, on the dirt the walkers are usually faster than me. :D
  • 01-02-2012
    Gary H
    ^ wurd! lol

Me too!
  • 01-05-2012
    TTOSteve
    They are real nice right now! Out there most of Monday
  • 01-05-2012
    TTOSteve
    MOre walkers and dogs then I have ever seen out there lately. It seems like since GHORBA, they have become more well known. Maybe it is just a coincidence.
  • 01-05-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TTOSteve View Post
    They are real nice right now! Out there most of Monday

PPPPPllllleeeeeezzzeee no rain on Friday! I need to ride on Saturday!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTOSteve View Post
    MOre walkers and dogs then I have ever seen out there lately. It seems like since GHORBA, they have become more well known. Maybe it is just a coincidence.

It could also be that they have gotten better-known due to the possibility of the retention basins being built, and the publicity that those have gotten in the nearby neighborhoods.
  • 01-05-2012
    TTOSteve
    We are going to try and ride tomorrow afternoon if interested.
  • 01-05-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Thanks for the invite! Gotta work!!!
  • 01-05-2012
    MD_TX
    Quote:

oh, on the dirt the walkers are usually faster than me. :D

-haha, the last time we were out there one morning, we passed some joggers on the trail (they had stopped for something) then we see them again then the trails merge and they let us go ahead....then towards the end they catch up to us again. lol - I'm convinced it's because I'm the slowest one in the group so faster guys use me as an excuse to stop for a chat while I catch up. haha
  • 01-05-2012
    Gary H
    I'm gonna try and hit it Sunday morning. Unless the Texans lose. Then Ill be crying too much.
  • 01-06-2012
    greenblur
    Traveling from Austin towards the end of January, can't wait to check out this trail. Seems like a fun change of pace from all the rocks in the hill country.
  • 01-06-2012
    urbanguerilla
    I'll be out there tomorrow.
  • 01-06-2012
    Bill in Houston
    where when and whaddya look like? i think i'll be at the wilcrest end at about 9:20 if my bottom bracket repair holds... anyone else?
  • 01-06-2012
    Go! Ninja Go!
    Did it rain out there today? I had wanted to go this morning, but it wasn't looking too good down here on the southside.
  • 01-06-2012
    Bill in Houston
    this morning at 7:30 when i went out the trees were drippy and the road was wet in spots, but then the sun came out and it was breezy.

change of plans for me. Dairy Ashford Parking lot at 9:15.
  • 01-06-2012
    amgine
    guys at my LBS are having a weekly ride at anthills at 6:30 pm each wednsday starting feb 15th. All skills, bring lights.
  • 01-07-2012
    Gary H
    Who's your LBS Jason?
  • 01-07-2012
    amgine
    Quote:

Who's your LBS Jason?

Sun and Ski in Katy. really cool people.
  • 01-08-2012
    amgine
    Anthills were fast today.
  • 01-08-2012
    Golf Nut
    Quote:

Sun and Ski in Katy. really cool people.

Those are my guys as well. Bought my Scott Scale 29 Elite from them back in November.
  • 01-08-2012
    ClayP
    I rode the Anthills today for the first time in maybe 10 years. Went from Dairy Ashford to the freestyle jump area. There has been an amazing amount of work done on those trails since I last rode there. Looking forward to mixing it up between there and Ho Chi.
  • 01-08-2012
    amgine
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClayP View Post
    I rode the Anthills today for the first time in maybe 10 years. Went from Dairy Ashford to the freestyle jump area. There has been an amazing amount of work done on those trails since I last rode there. Looking forward to mixing it up between there and Ho Chi.

Is Ho Chi still there? Last I heard it's been destroyed. Where is it?
  • 01-08-2012
    ClayP
    Quote:

Is Ho Chi still there? Last I heard it's been destroyed. Where is it?

Ho Chi Minh is still there as "Memorial Park". The kids today call the sections of the trails by color codes like a skier's map. Ho Chi is the purple, blue, red, yellow, orange trails. The green trail is what was known as Cambodia. The Laos section does not appear to be maintained and is cluttered with debris. Area 51 is closed(?) but the Triangle off the Arboretum is officially open
  • 01-08-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

The Laos section does not appear to be maintained and is cluttered with debris.

It's been a while perhaps 9 months however...the roller coaster section is ride able if you can recall where it was back in the good old days.

Area 51 seems to be the new trail runner’s secret trail I’ve yet to explore it with a mtb but a couple years ago I walked back there and could see remnants (sigh) of the old trail.
  • 01-09-2012
    amgine
    Quote:

Ho Chi Minh is still there as "Memorial Park". The kids today call the sections of the trails by color codes like a skier's map. Ho Chi is the purple, blue, red, yellow, orange trails. The green trail is what was known as Cambodia. The Laos section does not appear to be maintained and is cluttered with debris. Area 51 is closed(?) but the Triangle off the Arboretum is officially open

Ah cool thanks for the info. I've heard the names tossed around (and seen the review on the trails section) but didn't know where they were.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    It's been a while perhaps 9 months however...the roller coaster section is ride able if you can recall where it was back in the good old days.

Area 51 seems to be the new trail runner’s secret trail I’ve yet to explore it with a mtb but a couple years ago I walked back there and could see remnants (sigh) of the old trail.

Ive been on roller coaster, whereabouts is area 51?
  • 01-09-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

Ive been on roller coaster, whereabouts is area 51?

Off of woodway and west loop south where the old archery range used to be.Thanks to GHORBA trying to make it a legit trail back in Y2K :bluefrown: they more or less made the parks dept aware of these so called "illegal" trails and were subsequently shut down.

These were the ONLY trail in Houston that actually had switchback climbs and fun descents. The area had been a hobo/bum camp for years till mtbers started riding over there and made/maintained trails the good times lasted about a year till they were shut down. I live right down the street off memorial drive I should go and check it out again, last time I went in there the trail runners and kayakers have taken it over.

Since we are being nostalgic anyone recall “the swamp” area (think cypresswood meets jack brooks park) off T.C. Jester and Watonga? They had a few outlaw mtb races back in 97-98 then a big storm came through in 99 and knocked down a bunch of trees then a few of us revived the trails back in spring 03’ to a three mile loop however due to its difficulty to get to the trail soon died again by the fall of that same year.
  • 01-09-2012
    amgine
    Quote:

Off of woodway and west loop south where the old archery range used to be.Thanks to GHORBA trying to make it a legit trail back in Y2K :bluefrown: they more or less made the parks dept aware of these so called "illegal" trails and were subsequently shut down.

These were the ONLY trail in Houston that actually had switchback climbs and fun descents. The area had been a hobo/bum camp for years till mtbers started riding over there and made/maintained trails the good times lasted about a year till they were shut down. I live right down the street off memorial drive I should go and check it out again, last time I went in there the trail runners and kayakers have taken it over.

Since we are being nostalgic anyone recall “the swamp” area (think cypresswood meets jack brooks park) off T.C. Jester and Watonga? They had a few outlaw mtb races back in 97-98 then a big storm came through in 99 and knocked down a bunch of trees then a few of us revived the trails back in spring 03’ to a three mile loop however due to its difficulty to get to the trail soon died again by the fall of that same year.

Interesting. I'd like to check out these hidden trails (or what's left) :p
  • 01-09-2012
    BGillespie
    Hit a lap at TH yesterday with soccerdude. Solid ride, trails were in good condition (other than a few areas that have obviously seen traffic when wet); not sure how things are going to look after the heavy rain today...
  • 01-09-2012
    amgine
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    Hit a lap at TH yesterday with soccerdude. Solid ride, trails were in good condition (other than a few areas that have obviously seen traffic when wet); not sure how things are going to look after the heavy rain today...

What time? I was there 11:30-1pm. They're going to be pretty nasty for a while after today.
  • 01-09-2012
    BGillespie
    Quote:

what time? I was there 11:30-1pm. They're going to be pretty nasty for a while after today.

~9:15-10:30
  • 01-09-2012
    Bill in Houston
    after that rain, the lower trails will likely be in rough shape for a while. newly exposed roots, and silty mush where the trail used to be...
  • 01-09-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

Interesting. I'd like to check out these hidden trails (or what's left) :p

The Swamp Houston Trail Reviews

to get to Area 51 you can park your car at the place where the runners and kayakers do can't miss it gravel lot off woodway and n post oak lane seems they go down by the bridge to launch their kayaks please note our local "homeless" guy lives under that bridge when not at the liquor store or panhandling.

to get to the swamp it's directly across the bayou from the T.C. Jester pool you can either ride to the RxR bridge and walk over it to the trails or ride down to 43rd street to watonga go past the apartments and right before the railroad tracks is the entrance ride along the bayou stream and you'll be there it's been almost a decade since i've been there you could drive back there in the good old days.

The easiest entrance is the "dip" a big cement open culvert they have/had two bowl sections and back in the 70's we used to ride our Honda XR75's back there and BMX bikes and they had a really cool rope swing (sigh the good old days). When we were reclaiming/cleaning it up in 03' we ran into a spot over by the railroad tracks by the apt complex where there was some paint huffing, drug abuse and sexual activity by the amount of used needles, and condoms and further back in the woods we ran into some abandoned tent site where we think some hobos had spent some time.

After spending about three weeks there in early of 03’ we had the place 100% ridable with approx 3 miles of trails and some nice drops for the hucker types at the bowl areas (I wonder if the shovels, rakes and cheap saw are still hidden?) The druggies and hobo element moved on once they had folks riding through there on a regular basis but I think that after a hard rain like we had today in Houston the bowls got flooded and tree fall happened and the TMBRA XC season started up and the swamp didn’t get ridden anymore.

The swamp could be developed into some decent trails again but access and some of the scary elements it is land that can’t be developed due to flood zone I believe but for the spring and early summer of 03’ we had some pretty sweet trails out there.
  • 01-09-2012
    Bill in Houston
  • 01-09-2012
    ClayP
    Quote:

What time? I was there 11:30-1pm. They're going to be pretty nasty for a while after today.

I was there 2-4pm Sunday
  • 01-09-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

I here the trail drains well...
  • 01-09-2012
    Gary H
    Quote:

I here the trail drains well...

It does on the lowers, the uppers not as well.
  • 01-10-2012
    mtbscott
    Quote:

I don't think GHORBA had much to do with getting Area 51 shut down. When just a few people knew about it, it was pretty easy to keep under wraps as no one in authority ever went back there. But when every Tom, Dick, and Harry riding at MP heard about it and started riding their bikes along Memorial and across 610, the popo and parks department starting wondering what was up. Didn't take long after that for them to be closed off and riders threatened with trespassing charges. I haven't been out there since, but I suspect that although rough, the basic trail probably still survives.
  • 01-11-2012
    Bill in Houston
    the dirt bowl boom boom huck jam is this weekend. sorry, i can't remember the real name. will the trails be more crowded bc of that?
  • 01-12-2012
    HAL 9000
  • 01-12-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Ought to be fun to watch.
  • 01-15-2012
    Gary H
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 01-15-2012
    Bill in Houston
    sad to see the season end...

did anyone go to the trail jam? I went to Bush park to get some miles in on the noble road trail and any side spur I could find. i went through a LOT of water. my poor awesome bike...
  • 01-16-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

did anyone go to the trail jam?

Yes

• 01-16-2012
    Bill in Houston
    that is SEROUSLY nuts.
  • 01-16-2012
    cool. any video posted anywhere?
  • 01-16-2012
    WaveDude
    This dude took home a nice Stout bicylcle frame for putting together some sick runs:

• 01-17-2012
    WaveDude
  • 01-17-2012
    soccerdude
    Quote:

Any idea who created this awesome poster?

Mike S.
  • 01-19-2012
    bobdole
    Upcoming work party 1/20/2012
    Upcoming work party 1/20/2012
    Meeting Location: 29.761453, -95.604554 - Google Maps (The green arrow shows the meeting spot)
    Join the THP trail work group at [email protected]

Trail cleanup on Friday afternoon starting at 3:00 pm to get the trash and broken limbs off the trail and especially to clear the big ball of bushes and vines in the S curves just west of the long bridge. The plan will be to meet in the east end of the THP parking lot which is located at the river and Dairy Ashford (DA). Focus will be mostly lower trails from DA east to Wilcrest. I am starting this early so we can walk the trails in daylight and plan to be done by dark.

Bring gloves, loppers, rakes and hand trimmers if you have them. I will bring some Mcleods if we need to do some heavy duty raking. Will also have a sawzall for bigger stuff.

Please let me know if you are going to attend and when you are going to arrive.
    Upcoming plans:
    Next Wednesday evening, 1/25, start work on the bench cut (new trail) under the Dairy Ashford bridge. Saturday morning, 1/28, cut down the trees leaning on the fence, the one on its end by DA parking lot and the big one edging into the trail west of DA assuming the chain saw is in working order by then.
  • 01-19-2012
    Bill in Houston
    I'll be out there Friday afternoon. Not sure when I will get there. Will start at DA and just walk toward Wilcrest until I find y'all. Is your actual name Bob?
  • 01-19-2012
    WaveDude
    1st of 4 meetings -- be there or kiss your trails goodbye.

During the community meetings, a brief presentation will be given on how to access the Charting Buffalo report and how to provide comments. Visitors will be encouraged to listen to the presentation and then tour the exhibit area where maps and information on flooding and community enhancement opportunities will be available. Computers will be available for the public to provide feedback on the draft report at the meeting or the public may provide their written comments.

A total of four meetings are being scheduled in the Charting Buffalo study area. Identical information will be shared at all four community meetings. See below the details for the first meeting scheduled. Additional community meetings will be scheduled and a separate email will be distributed with dates and times. The most up-to-date information will also be posted at Charting Buffalo | a study by the Harris County Flood Control District.

Click this link for details:
    https://events.r20.constantcontact.c...e56497c2&oseq=
  • 01-30-2012
    amgine
    How did the clean up go? I couldn't make it, had to take the wife to the doc.
  • 01-31-2012
    bobdole
  • 02-01-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

How did the clean up go? I couldn't make it, had to take the wife to the doc.

I went for one evening of it. It was mostly done by the time I got there, but I got to drag some branches, so I was okay. No idea how the bench cutting went, or the sawing of the trees. Haven't been out to the trail to see the work, either. Seems to rain too close to the weekend lately.
  • 02-17-2012
    MD_TX
    Anyone know of the current trail conditions? I guess Houston got some rain this week since we got rain north. I haven't been out for a few weeks and was hoping it would be dry (enough) to ride Sunday. Hoping any rain holds off until beginning of next week.
  • 02-17-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Currently very, very wet.
  • 02-17-2012
    soccerdude
    Weatherman says more rain on the way. Currently there's nothing in Houston, Austin, Lake Bryan, or Waco that's dry enough to ride. It will be a solid week of dry weather before anything open in Houston. Two weeks for some trails like Jack Brooks and the Anthills.
  • 02-25-2012
    equalme
    Any new updates on the trail conditions? Been checking up with Ghorba, but no definite answer yet. Hoping to get a ride in tomorrow..
  • 02-26-2012
    Bill in Houston
    have not been out there. got scared off by someone saying "2 weeks" about a week ago.

went to double lake yesterday, and had flufffy deep beach sand AND mud over the bottom bracket...
  • 02-26-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Any new updates on the trail conditions? Been checking up with Ghorba, but no definite answer yet. Hoping to get a ride in tomorrow..

they had an adventure race out there last weekend the trails are f*cked right now.
  • 02-26-2012
    soccerdude
    Reports are that some spots are rideable and others are very muddy. I'm sure there's lots of debris all over the trail as there has not been a work party there in quite awhile. My advice would be to give it another week to avoid creating ruts.
  • 02-26-2012
    TheRealKTrain
    Do yall just hit up Memorial or somewhere when the Anthills are too damp to ride? Whats the next best alternative? I dont need much, just anything besides sidewalks.
  • 02-26-2012
    equalme
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
    Do yall just hit up Memorial or somewhere when the Anthills are too damp to ride? Whats the next best alternative? I dont need much, just anything besides sidewalks.

Memorial takes a while to dry as well and it was a mess the last time I drove by it. The main trails at memorial are currently occupied by the trail riders at this time as well.

I would think the Sugarland park (Brindley) should be fairly dry by now since it doesn't have that many ruts...but don't take my word for it.

I didn't bother going out today...but hopefully wednesday would be good if the weather holds up.
  • 02-26-2012
    TheRealKTrain
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Memorial takes a while to dry as well and it was a mess the last time I drove by it. The main trails at memorial are currently occupied by the trail riders at this time as well.

I would think the Sugarland park (Brindley) should be fairly dry by now since it doesn't have that many ruts...but don't take my word for it.

I didn't bother going out today...but hopefully wednesday would be good if the weather holds up.

Thanks for the heads up on Brindley. I lived in Houston for my teenage years, and then moved to the PacNW with the Navy. Im now back in Houston, and besides the old school riding places like Anthills and Memorial, I dont know where to ride. Any other ideas?
  • 02-26-2012
    equalme
    Quote:

Thanks for the heads up on Brindley. I lived in Houston for my teenage years, and then moved to the PacNW with the Navy. Im now back in Houston, and besides the old school riding places like Anthills and Memorial, I dont know where to ride. Any other ideas?

Have you been on the Ghorba site?

GHORBA > Trails > Where To Ride

Trail conditions:
    GHORBA > Trail Conditions 2011

Looks like the anthills should be good to go this week.
  • 02-26-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

If you just want to get out and ride on something unpaved, then try out the noble road trail in george bush park. more of a XC thing, i guess, but still fun compared to NOT riding. ;) ride around the lakes and go see the abandoned gas well.
  • 02-26-2012
    soccerdude
    I rode Cypresswood today and it was in great shape except for two small sections. Double Lake is open as well as Sugar Land Memorial and Huntsville State Park.
  • 02-26-2012
    MD_TX
    We went out to anthills this morning around 730 with the usual guys. For the most part it's drying up very well. About a half dozen soft spots up along where the fenceline/golf course path is. Trails are very nice and clean/cleared and some new bridges put in recently? (I haven't ridden in over a month) I wanted to say thanks to all the people who have put in the work on the trails. As I'm about 65miles away from the trail it's kind of hard to make it down all the time or on a whim. But the trails are shaping up really nice and I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all those that put in 'sweat equity' to make it enjoyable for everyone.
  • 02-27-2012
    equalme
    More rain...hopefully the weather holds up!
  • 02-27-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

If you just want to get out and ride on something unpaved, then try out the noble road trail in george bush park. more of a XC thing, i guess, but still fun compared to NOT riding. ;) ride around the lakes and go see the abandoned gas well.

noble road is flooded just like the anthills it's been raining and some folks think that because the sun came out for a few hours the trails are dry.

THINK PEOPLE!!

the reason why memorial park is always trashed is the same reason why the anthills is always trashed because of idiots that think it's cool/fun to ride on wet trails in the mud.

there are plenty of other riding opportunities when the trails are too wet to ride around houston be a part of the solution not the problem.
  • 02-27-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Yeah, but I will ride noble road when it's a little wet, whereas I will stay off the anthills.

If you're gonna ride the BRC, you need to be able to make it through some slop, and Noble Road is the place to find it without messing up the "real" trails. I wouldn't go out there today, though, with the fresh rain. But after it has a few days to drain off, why not.
  • 02-27-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

Yeah, but I will ride noble road when it's a little wet.

why?

it ruts up the trail just as bad...

Just because it's double track rather than single track it tears up the trail for everyone else when some douchbag thinks it's his right to ride back there when it's still soft. We had to ride our cyclocorss bikes through all the damn ruts this last summer because some morons rode it when it was a "little wet" and their ruts dried like concrete.

If you want to train for some event you can ride all the way around the dam it's a 12 mile loop and just been resurfaced if you want more off road hit barkers cypress road and hit that levee all the way to clay road, and finally riding in the mud on purpose and or having mud caked all over your bike is the shurest way to indicate your a noob or an ass.
  • 02-27-2012
    Bill in Houston
    So on the day of the BRC, when the Double Lake trails still have muddy spots, I should refuse to participate in the event? And will you and I stand at the finish line and call people names? I'm new to this, so I don't really know how it works. Like do you only call people names on line, or do you do it in real life too?
  • 02-27-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

So on the day of the BRC, when the Double Lake trails still have muddy spots, I should refuse to participate in the event?

I didn't know that you had a crystal ball and can forsee what the weather is going to be like on April 1st

And all TMBRA races run rain or shine so it's your choice if you want to race (ahem) or participate. Double Lake is on a sandy type of soil so it holds up fairly well to rain and dries out much quicker than the sediment type of bayou soil found along the anthills and memorial park.

Quote:

I'm new to this, so I don't really know how it works. Like do you only call people names on line, or do you do it in real life too?

Perhaps since your new to all of this you should heed the advice of folks that have been around the block once or twice with this MTB thing. If you plan on participating in the Double lake race maybe you should familiarise yourself with the actual race course.

You are going to get much more benefit of actually riding the course you plan on racing on rather than slogging through the stinky silt on the noble road trail f*cking up the trail and your bike at the same time.

As a new rider and aspiring racer I would strongly suggest you find someone that is a little faster and a better rider than yourself and try to ride with them as much as possible. When I started out I met some fast locals & racers and learned more in a month riding with them than I did the previous few months riding by myself.

And yes if I see someone stuck on stupid I'll call em' out on it on line or in person.
  • 02-27-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

And all TMBRA races run rain or shine so it's your choice if you want to race (ahem) or participate.

Heh heh heh. Caught me.

Quote:

Double Lake is on a sandy type of soil so it holds up fairly well to rain and dries out much quicker than the sediment type of bayou soil found along the anthills and memorial park.

Yes, I was out there Saturday. The soil is sandier, and the trail is nice and dry in lots of places. It's a gloppy mess in many places. Long stretches of deep mud. The trail steward said it was okay to ride, and to ride right down the middle. Bad, bad, bad. If you head up for the event, I mean, RACE, be ready for some nasty stuff. Crystal ball or not, we will get enough rain to keep it soft. If you have any advice on how to handle that kind of stuff on race day, I would be happy to hear it.

Quote:

Perhaps since your new to all of this you should heed the advice of folks that have been around the block once or twice with this MTB thing.

Thank you for all of your advice.

Quote:

If you plan on participating in the Double lake race maybe you should familiarise yourself with the actual race course.

You are going to get much more benefit of actually riding the course you plan on racing on.

Yep, sure. I'm glad I got to go out on Saturday.

Quote:

As a new rider and aspiring racer I would strongly suggest you find someone that is a little faster and a better rider than yourself and try to ride with them as much as possible. When I started out I met some fast locals & racers and learned more in a month riding with them than I did the previous few months riding by myself.

I'll try to do that. I don't know if the Anthills have had a single rideable Saturday in a couple of months, so it's been challenging.

Thanks for your help.
  • 02-27-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

If you have any advice on how to handle that kind of stuff on race day, I would be happy to hear it.

for your first race...

A. Have Fun
    B. Ride Hard
    C. Have Fun
    D. Don't Quit

Since your be racing in the CAT 3 class you'll go last after all the CAT 1 & CAT 2 racers have been through the course so depending on when it rained or stopped raining you'll either have a nice packed down course from everyone else riding it or a sloppy mess.

back in the day we would run the skinniest tire we had and spray the bike down with pam cooking oil to shed mud and coat the chain with grease for a muddy race. Now I just ride my SS bike if it's muddy because it will be lighter and no gears to get cloged up with muck and i'm lazy.

back in 2003 it rained all night before the race here is a video of the CAT 1's as you can see it was slick on the roots in the turns and bridges but the rest of the course was great.

Doulbe Lake Mountain Bike Race Texas - YouTube
  • 02-27-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

for your first race...

A. Have Fun
    B. Ride Hard
    C. Have Fun
    D. Don't Quit

I may not be fast, but I am still good at all 4 of those. ;)

Quote:

Since your be racing in the CAT 3 class you'll go last after all the CAT 1 & CAT 2 racers have been through the course so depending on when it rained or stopped raining you'll either have a nice packed down course from everyone else riding it or a sloppy mess.

back in the day we would run the skinniest tire we had and spray the bike down with pam cooking oil to shed mud and coat the chain with grease for a muddy race. Now I just ride my SS bike if it's muddy because it will be lighter and no gears to get cloged up with muck and i'm lazy.

As my chain was making the "oh i am so close to chainsucking you into a 4 mile walk back to the car" noise, I was wondering how to be ready for mud, AND wishing I was on a single-speed. I'll grease everything good if it is wet that day. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:

back in 2003 it rained all night before the race here is a video of the CAT 1's as you can see it was slick on the roots in the turns and bridges but the rest of the course was great.

Doulbe Lake Mountain Bike Race Texas - YouTube

Oooo, poor dude who smashed through the toeboard of that bridge.

Great video! Thanks for posting.

Looking at previous results, I think I will finish 10th. From the back. Which is fine by me.
  • 02-27-2012
    bobdole
    Some of the muddy spots at double lake have just shown up, seeps and springs that appear to have recharged recently from the rains.

A lot of work is going into armoring those wet areas so that underneath that mud and water is a durable surface, takes a bit of time to get those stretches armored but should be done by the BRC.

Probably one or two more work parties before the BRC, three or four hours of work in the morning and then riding after for those interested, day use fees waived for those doing trail work.
  • 02-27-2012
    Bill in Houston
    The armored areas are really nice.
  • 02-27-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

Looking at previous results, I think I will finish 10th. From the back. Which is fine by me.

past race results are not a good indicator because the course will be different even if it's the same layout as previous years last years race was dry and humid who knows what this years will be like???

TMBRA - Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association

I'm assuming that ghorba will have the same course as last years so find out what the CAT 3's will do and practice that also if you can pre-register because they call you up in the order you signed up and getting on the first or second row for a good start is crucial particularly at double lake where the start is short and fast and getting in the singletrack in the top ten is a must or you'll be logjammed behind the rest of the folks trying to squeeze into the singletrack.

remember the racer in front of you is an obstacle your goal is to get around him as soon as you can and drop him, following someones wheel only creates gaps time your passes there is a great spot less than i mile into the race where the course opens up after a series of trail bricks it's a false flat but try your best to attack here and get around as many as you can before the trail narrows again.

a CAT 3 race lasts about 60min just mentally approach it as something thats gonna hurt really bad for an hour and everyone else is hurting just as bad as you are so don't let up keep the pace hard but ride as smoothly and as fast as you can and as soon as you can get a rider outta sight behind you the better don't be the guy that drags three or four others around the course for them to sprint by you the last 100 yards from the finish.

if you slide out in a turn or have a brain fart and wipeout don't panic because it will really take the wind out of your sails just collect yourself make sure your bikes chain is on and that you can shift then get back on and get back into your rhythm. trust me the 20-40 seconds it might take collecting yourself and making sure your bike is OK will be better than trying to hop back on with the chain all jammed up the brake lever all wonky and your glasses lost in the bushs and who knows where your water bottle went in a hyper panic.

attitude is real important have a positive one all XC racing is a mass start time trial on dirt where the folks that keep their momentum going and corner and climb faster than everyone else are gonna win so don't stress about how good or bad you are doing the CAT 3's & CAT 2's are full of sandbaggers, just set a personal goal and do your best to achieve it. I've got more respect for the new rider working his ass off to finish 30th than the guy that shoulda catted up eighteen months ago sandbagging in the CAT 3's just so he can get podium and maintain an ego.

you know that your doing it right when you question yourself "why in the heck did i sign up and pay for this sh*t"?

one more thing at all possible attend the beginners clinic on the saturday before the race they will have some great tips and advice for first time racers that will get you up to speed on how what where and when at a TMBRA events.

also Rick has some great how to videos on youtube and will more than likely have something for double lake like he had for warda

Warda Tips & Techniques - YouTube
  • 02-29-2012
    equalme
    Just got back from a ride and the trails are good to go. A few soggy places that had ruts but easy to go around.

Ran across another rider while I was catching my breath under the bridge, he stopped and looked like he wanted to chat or something. Wondering if he frequents this board, seemed like a nice guy but sorry dude I was out of breath...haven't rode in a while so need some conditioning.
  • 03-02-2012
    Swolern
    Quote:

Jack Brooks Park has the most technical trails in the Houston area, an absolute blast!. Unfortunately is has the worst drainage also. It takes at least 4 days of sun to dry.
  • 03-03-2012
    TheRealKTrain
    Thanks Swolern! I have yet to buy a mountain bike to re-visit the anthills and such, my wife is due any day, and the last place I want to be when the moment starts is in the middle of the anthills or some other park haha!
  • 03-04-2012
    drboudreaux
    Quote:

past race results are not a good indicator because the course will be different even if it's the same layout as previous years last years race was dry and humid who knows what this years will be like???

TMBRA - Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association

I'm assuming that ghorba will have the same course as last years so find out what the CAT 3's will do and practice that also if you can pre-register because they call you up in the order you signed up and getting on the first or second row for a good start is crucial particularly at double lake where the start is short and fast and getting in the singletrack in the top ten is a must or you'll be logjammed behind the rest of the folks trying to squeeze into the singletrack.

remember the racer in front of you is an obstacle your goal is to get around him as soon as you can and drop him, following someones wheel only creates gaps time your passes there is a great spot less than i mile into the race where the course opens up after a series of trail bricks it's a false flat but try your best to attack here and get around as many as you can before the trail narrows again.

a CAT 3 race lasts about 60min just mentally approach it as something thats gonna hurt really bad for an hour and everyone else is hurting just as bad as you are so don't let up keep the pace hard but ride as smoothly and as fast as you can and as soon as you can get a rider outta sight behind you the better don't be the guy that drags three or four others around the course for them to sprint by you the last 100 yards from the finish.

if you slide out in a turn or have a brain fart and wipeout don't panic because it will really take the wind out of your sails just collect yourself make sure your bikes chain is on and that you can shift then get back on and get back into your rhythm. trust me the 20-40 seconds it might take collecting yourself and making sure your bike is OK will be better than trying to hop back on with the chain all jammed up the brake lever all wonky and your glasses lost in the bushs and who knows where your water bottle went in a hyper panic.

attitude is real important have a positive one all XC racing is a mass start time trial on dirt where the folks that keep their momentum going and corner and climb faster than everyone else are gonna win so don't stress about how good or bad you are doing the CAT 3's & CAT 2's are full of sandbaggers, just set a personal goal and do your best to achieve it. I've got more respect for the new rider working his ass off to finish 30th than the guy that shoulda catted up eighteen months ago sandbagging in the CAT 3's just so he can get podium and maintain an ego.

you know that your doing it right when you question yourself "why in the heck did i sign up and pay for this sh*t"?

one more thing at all possible attend the beginners clinic on the saturday before the race they will have some great tips and advice for first time racers that will get you up to speed on how what where and when at a TMBRA events.

also Rick has some great how to videos on youtube and will more than likely have something for double lake like he had for warda

Warda Tips & Techniques - YouTube

Those videos make me laugh. Seriously. If one needs to watch those videos to prepare for a race, one needs to spend more time learning how to ride instead of trying to race. Of course, this also assumes that XC racing is fun, which IMO, it is not. For those who enjoy it though, have fun rallying and/or carrying your bike over 3 inch tall roots.
  • 03-04-2012
    DaggerK1
    What a beautiful day at The Anthills today (Sunday). 73 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, trails in good shape. I did about 15 miles (Dairy Ashford to the bowls and than back the other way to Hwy 6 and back). Cypresswood is my home (close) trail and I don't have time to get to the anthills, memorial or other places often, but I could not pass it up today. It would be a travesty of epic proportions if those trails are destroyed by retention ponds. One of those days that's good for the soul. I was still hyped when I got home and convinced the family to ride with me to Mt Tomball and back. 22 miles total for the day.
  • 03-04-2012
    Swolern
    Quote:

Thanks Swolern! I have yet to buy a mountain bike to re-visit the anthills and such, my wife is due any day, and the last place I want to be when the moment starts is in the middle of the anthills or some other park haha!

Definitely family comes first. I just started back biking with a new Specialized S-works and this bike will make anyone an addict. When ur ready Jack Brooks will be there to test ur skills.
  • 03-05-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drboudreaux View Post
    Those videos make me laugh. Seriously. If one needs to watch those videos to prepare for a race, one needs to spend more time learning how to ride instead of trying to race. Of course, this also assumes that XC racing is fun, which IMO, it is not. For those who enjoy it though, have fun rallying and/or carrying your bike over 3 inch tall roots.

Related links
    Tips "Front Wheel Lift"
    9 minutes 44 seconds
    Ouch

I'll eventually watch the whole WARDA thing to see what I can pick up from it. At my skill level, I bet I get something. I did see the section on carrying over those roots. If those roots stopped me, I would backtrack and try to ride them again. I ain't carrying over a 4 inch root. :) I may not be smart, but at least I'm stubborn...
  • 03-05-2012
    HAL 9000
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drboudreaux View Post

XC bicycling racing isn’t for everyone however if you want to speed up the learning curve on mt.bike skills there is no better place than doing a XC race. Riding your bike at race pace forces you to become a better bike handler those 4” roots you laugh about at your pace are totally different at 17+ mph an hour into a race.

Folks make jokes about how lame double lake is for a XC course because the lack of any climbing or technical features however because of that the speeds at race pace are much higher than any other XC course in Texas and yet almost every year someone is hauled off in an ambulance due to going too fast and blowing a corner or wrecking on something as simple as a 3” root.

Over the years I’ve run into numerous guys who believe that they are some great technical hot shot rider only to be embarrassed later when the pace and speed is picked up.

Just check out this section from this last weekend’s national XC race near Austin and tell me that it doesn’t take any skill…

Woof ! OucH!

Video Tips for the Mellow Johnnys race

Flat Creek Tips & Techniques - YouTube
  • 03-07-2012
    equalme
    Get your ride in soon...looks like we will be expecting lots of rain this weekend.
  • 03-07-2012
    mbrock.40
    I have never ridden the Anthills trails, but I received an email from GHORBA the other day talking about a hearing/city planning meeting in Houston about plans for dam/drainage routing that would destroy the Anthills. I haven't heard any updates or remember when the hearing was. I know they said that a "cultured trail" would be replacing all the woods and dirt trails. I will try to find more info....

*EDIT - the meeting was February 8th and here is the email I received:

REMINDER THE FIRST MEETING ON CHARTING BUFFALO IS TONIGHT. PLEASE MAKE PLANS TO ATTEND.

It is from 6-8 p.m. at the Tracy Gee Community Center. 3599 Westcenter. Parking and access may be tough, but don’t give up.

Please read the handout

The focus is the Clodine Waterhole and diverting the water from the Clodine Ditch (and I-10 ditch) currently dumping into BB. It is not a wholesale attack on the plan or some of their ideas—there are viable alternatives to deforesting the south side of the bayou yet still accomplishing the goal of reducing flood risk. There are other areas where detention can exist without destroying a community asset. I drive past one every day on Memorial.

A wholesale attack on the plan itself (not the process which is suspect at best) will not be heard. Ideas that do not fit in the framework of the existing plan will also fail get traction (e.g., anything behind the dam). This is not to say there are not excellent ideas that have a long-term approach (and engineers who can speak to it far better than I), but that is not what is in front of us. The city has options and some may be workable without gutting the trail system. It is essential for our elected officials (at all levels), those who served on the steering committee (purportedly) to represent our interests, and green engineers to understand that open, grassy fields, asphalt trails, and tree planted in formation every 20’ is not what those of us with a vested interest in the trails and forest want. We go there because it is unique, relatively untouched by urban standards. It is an area that man-made, urbanized “nature” cannot replace. We not only have that not on the north side, but also many other areas of Houston where parks have been developed. You don’t improve a forest and natural-surface trails with asphalt, clear views of the surrounding developments or roads, fancy bathrooms and a swing set.

This is going to be a challenge. The city is not interested in purchasing land even if the purchases can better accomplish their goals. But ultimately, this issue impacts every person who uses this trail, whether resident, biker, hiker, bird-watcher, runner, photographer, or parent simply trying to show a child the cool things you can see in the woods. Look forward to seeing those who can attend. Don’t forget there are other meetings. Show up with your GHORBA shirt, Save Our Forest sticker/shirt, and let them know where you stand and why.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Bill Rustam, GHORBA President.
  • 03-07-2012
    soccerdude
  • 03-13-2012
    drboudreaux
    Quote:

Over the years I’ve run into numerous guys who believe that they are some great technical hot shot rider only to be embarrassed later when the pace and speed is picked up.

XC racing is great for some people. Have a great time. Racing/riding/whatever so long as it is done on a bike and people are enjoying themselves is awesome. I was merely stating that (i) it is not for everyone (including me), and (ii) the videos crack me up. I also disagree that XC racing makes one a better rider faster than anything else. I consider myself to be a pretty darn good technical rider, and I do not attribute it to the one XC race that I entered years ago.

Bottom half of Grafton March 2012 - YouTube

Instead, I attribute it to time on the bike and riding with riders who are better than me. I also attribute it to having a great time on my bike.

Quote:

Just check out this section from this last weekend’s national XC race near Austin and tell me that it doesn’t take any skill…

Those trails look fun. But I never said that XC racing doesn't require any skill. I only said that videos explaining how to dismount to clear a 3" root are hilarious. Also, in my opinion, that is no fun at all and it does not teach anyone how to be a better rider at riding "technical" parts of the trail. I understand that every rider is always progressing and we are all at different stages of our abilities, but the videos are hilarious nevertheless.