Amarillo?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Amarillo?

Feb 2007

Amarillo?

Anyone on this board from the Amarillo area? Getting back into the sport and will be hitting up PDC next week when I get my bike. Do alot of people still ride in PDC? Just wanted to see if there are any Amarillo area people on this board. See ya. ----Ryan

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i am in amarillo, dont do a lot of postin on here but i do some looking. PDC is still great to ride. there are always others riding but it never seems crowded

bcd
    mtbr member
    alex here

pdc is busy sundays when its not muddy.

i haven't been down there in a while though.

i live in fritch and like to ride the canadian river

MX trails.

Apr 2004
    by mornin'
    up from san antone
    everything that I got
    is just what I got on

gefiltephish
    Aug 2006
    OK I'd find some Kinky Friedman lyrics if I weren't so lazy.... anyway.... I will also be in Amarillo mid-July and was wondering if there are any trails around that I can ride for a couple hours.... I don't know this CDC or whatever, not familar at all with Texas... I know some fun XC that I ride my hardtail on here in VA.... just wonderi'. 'Preciate any help

Aug 2006

PDC = Palo Duro Canyon 2nd largest hole in the USA!

I am from Amarillo also. I am just getting into mountain biking, but I have spent the last 3 weekends at PDC. (Bought the season pass for $60 or it is $4 per head. Pass gets you and up to 15 people in the same vehicle in.)The lighthouse trail always has hikers and a few horses on it. I recommend getting there early if you want to keep a good pace. Total trail is just under 6 miles. Last weekend the trail was starting to get pretty sandy in areas but still a fun trail. I have been exploring some of the side trails and you can go for several miles without overlapping trails.

On a side note, the cactus are spreading so be careful on the single tracks. A friend had a thorn go through both sides of his tire.

I have also heard that a few people are riding in Quail Creek just north of 9th street across from MediPark. I haven't tried these trails yet, but there are suppose to be some fun steeps that are pretty technical. I usually see one or two vehicles parked here in the afternoon and on weekends.

bcd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo
    I am from Amarillo also.......
    I have also heard that a few people are riding in Quail Creek just north of 9th street across from MediPark. I haven't tried these trails yet, but there are suppose to be some fun steeps that are pretty technical. I usually see one or two vehicles parked here in the afternoon and on weekends.
    whats your name? i'm alex.

the 9th st has some trails and my dirt jumps. its about to get some
    help from the city to make a hicking, mtb trail park with a parking lot.

there is also the girl scout trails. checl over here for rides and areas too

https://oldtascosacycling.com/module...ums&file=index

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I will be comin over soon as well.. I love those trails.. PDC is rad..Alex , I will pm ya when i come over..Where were ya 4 cloudcroft, we missed ya..

bcd
    mtbr member
    i did a park and dirt jump comp at our local spots.

Aug 2006
    I haven't been to this area or even heard of it. What is the easiest way out there and when do most ride?

bcd
    mtbr member

Mar 2009

new to the sport

I may be getting a bike in the next week or two and Im looking for a good place to ride or someone to ride with, Im still new to the amarillo area and don't know to many people or places to go.

No Knuckle Crew
    PD is a really great place to ride. You can go out and cruise the lighthouse and hit some great jumps. You can do run the lower trails and really fly. You can do cliffside and work on your climbing and momentum skills. You can run the little fox loop and get some really fun high speed turns. You can get into some more technical stuff on GSL. You can do them all and do the "big loop" and do them all. You can even go do the downhill run if you have a bike to do it and can talk a local into showing it to you. You can almost always find locals to ride with down there on Saturday and Sunday. Holiday weekends (spring break, memorial day, labor day, 1st weekend of summer) suck after 10:00am because it gets crowded. Any other time is just fine. Remember that the trails are NOT directional so keep you head up.

Girl Scout is a fun trail to go train on without having to get out of the city.

The trails at 9th are cool because the guys who put it togather have made a whole lot out of very little space. The jumps out there are freaking awesome, but I am not a skilled enough rider to really take advantage.

A couple of other good places to ride within an hour or so are caprock canyons state park in Quitaque and the double track down in Lake McKInzee.
    Caprock Canyons is very similar to PD without the trail maintanence or high traffic. It is pretty sandy and VERY hot in the summer. It is a nice place to go and get away from the traffic, but it does not have the high quality trails that PD does.
    Lake McKinzee is a great place to go for a campout ride. The trails are mainly 4-wheeler trails, but you can get into some fun jumps and downhills. The lake is not in a state park so you can bring a few tasty beverages for your post ride campfire. It is not a place that will rank up there for technical difficulty, but it is a fun place to ride with a big group that has a wide range of skill levels.

Keep the rubber side down and enjoy riding in the Panhandle.

mtbr member
    You can also check here or here to see what is around you and get info on the trails, including Pitcher Pump Ranch (a.k.a. Girl Scout Ranch)...you can also submit info if it's missin. *hint, hint*
    Pedigre

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Why are you all not all over those big-looking drops!?
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

Jan 2009
    Lefty has givin it to you straight...as well as everyone else. Nothing else to add but welcome to the community and look forward to seeing you on the dirt.

Keep pedaling

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I live in Lubbock and were going to PDC in a couple weeks.. We have Mae Simmons here in Lubbock and it works from what we got.. but riding in PDC is alot nicer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeVianTiCoN
    I live in Lubbock and were going to PDC in a couple weeks.. We have Mae Simmons here in Lubbock and it works from what we got.. but riding in PDC is alot nicer.
    Don't be so modest, PCD is more scenic perhaps, but Mae Simmons is still a really good trail
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Don't be so modest, PCD is more scenic perhaps, but Mae Simmons is still a really good trail
    dont get me wrong bra.. i like the trail.. the only thing i dont like about it is the loose rock.. other than that mae simmons is an awesome trail 2 me..

No Knuckle Crew

Where to ride

PDC is an awesome place to ride, there is something for everyone out there and it never gets old. Rumor has it that they are putting in new trails out there soon? Girl Scout is alright, I'm not a huge fan but some people like it allot, its nothing compared to PDC though. As far as jumping goes, 9th st is the place to hit, Alex did a nice job with the jumps and some other locals have been building some ladders and hucks out there. I also have been working on a dirt jump/ pump track at my house west of Canyon. If anyone want to come out and hit some jumps just let me know.
    WHATS UP LEFTY AND CACTUS!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0